What's new
What's new

ER Tap Collets

Ox

Diamond
I seldom ever use an actual tap collet, but have an app that we are right now, but the collet nut is absolutely buried! (internal for live toy lathe)

With an outside milling chuck - we would prolly hardly notice it, but in the lathe - it's an issue.

Just wondering if they are all this way, or if someone makes them that would be more at the top or mid of the [external] size range?

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

If you have a 3/8 collet, and you put a 3/8 tool in it, it will seat at the top of the taper, but if you put an 11/32 tool in it, it will seat at the bottom of the taper. The "tap collet" that i have here seats at the bottom of the taper, and with internal nuts, it's tough to tighten them clear down in there.

I have Axys (?) hex headed nuts that I can get a deep well socket on, and they werk swell, but my hex is down in the bore by the time it tightens up, and the other nuts just plain suck.

-----------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

If you have a 3/8 collet, and you put a 3/4 tool in it, it will seat at the top of the taper, but if you put an 11/32 tool in it, it will seat at the bottom of the taper. The "tap collet" that i have here seats at the bottom of the taper, and with internal nuts, it's tough to tighten them clear down in there.

I have Axys (?) hex headed nuts that I can get a deep well socket on, and they werk swell, but my hex is down in the bore by the time it tightens up, and the other nuts just plain suck.

-----------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
Just so nobody gets even more confused. You mean a 3/8 tool in a 3/8 collet, correct?

Internal nuts? How does that work? I never knew that even existed. :confused:

Page 11:
http://www.exsys-tool.com/images/catalog/archive/tooling-accessory-catalog.pdf

TT65LiveTooling.jpg

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Use the Tecniks quick change solid ER tap collet. I've used them with great success. They are a solid collet that snaps into your ER nut. You install the collet, tighten the nut, push the tap in the colletd to snap in place and then push on the little sleeve in front to release the tap.

If I ever use a "Bilz" style tap adaptor again - it'll be too soon!

(Short of someone ever actually getting the Intertap program going.)

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

If it’s not a tap, aren’t there some that have a device to hit the Weldon flat for more torque? I know some taps , nachi in particular have oversized shanks for better drive ability

If what's not a tap?

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

your pic did not look like a tap... looked like some kinda crazy counterbore on the phone.... if you are not driving a tap you could maybe use the weldon style er collet and get similar toraque...

your pic did not look like a tap... looked like some kinda crazy counterbore on the phone.... if you are not driving a tap you could maybe use the weldon style er collet and get similar toraque...

That pic was years ago.
Just showing an internal nut to MtnDew.

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

OK - here's a pic so's I don't hafta type out all 1000 werds. (I don't have voice recognition software here)

Pic shows nut way down in the bore by the time the collet gets tight.
It is a 3/8 tap in a 3/8 tap holder. It fits the bore of the collet as snug as a bug in a rug.
So one (at least I) would expect it to tighten up at the top of the taper - just like if I put a 3/8 drill in a 3/8 collet. (like the pic above) But it tightens up as if I put an 11/32 drill in a 3/8 collet.

Git it?

Again, it likely a non issue for outside nut apps, but for internal - it's an issue.
And I have seen some internal nut milling chucks - for reduced radial Clarence.

DSCN1654_zpstevt9pil.jpg

---------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

OK - here's a pic so's I don't hafta type out all 1000 werds. (I don't have voice recognition software here)

Pic shows nut way down in the bore by the time the collet gets tight.
It is a 3/8 tap in a 3/8 tap holder. It fits the bore of the collet as snug as a bug in a rug.
So one (at least I) would expect it to tighten up at the top of the taper - just like if I put a 3/8 drill in a 3/8 collet. (like the pic above) But it tightens up as if I put an 11/32 drill in a 3/8 collet.

Git it?

Again, it likely a non issue for outside nut apps, but for internal - it's an issue.
And I have seen some internal nut milling chucks - for reduced radial Clarence.

DSCN1654_zpstevt9pil.jpg

---------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

3/8" shank AKA 9.525 mm?

Do you happen to have BOTH US and Metrifuckated ER collets under-roof?
Or even a half-mm set?

Seems as if this task alone justifies ordering a coupla "onesies", anyway.

Back