What's new
What's new

Yasnac MX3 communication help

buerkle

Plastic
Hello,
I am looking for some help in getting serial communications set up with my yasnac MX3 control. I have it set for 4800 baud, 2 stop bits, not sure about the parity setting at the Yasnac side. Was trying to use hardware flow control but I'm not sure if that's what the Yasnac wants. There is a control code parameter I've played with but I don't know if that is in addition to or instead of the hardware control. I assume the serial port that I have is 'serial port 1' (there is only one on the machine but two are defined in the control). I am getting a "TH Parity Error!" message which makes me suspect the parity is set wrong - but I've tried changing the setting at the PC without any difference in behavior.
Anyone have some advice on how they got this working?
thanks!

and what is the difference between param #6003 and #6067? both seem to provide a way to change the RS232 baud rates?

I'm not sure of your exact parameters. My machine is a lathe LX3 control so the parameter numbers are different, however both being the Yasnac *X3 control I'm pretty sure the settings should be the same. I would have to look in my manual at the shop to be sure but is it the different baud rates for different ports? I'm more familiar with fanuc controls and on fanuc every port has its own settings for baud, stop bits, character format, etc.

Yasnac MX3 communication

Hi,

I have a Matsuura 510V with the Yasnac MX3. Here is how I have things set to transfer NC files from my computer to the MX3:

com2, 2 stop bits, even parity, baud rate 2400, 7 data bits, flow control - software or hardware, DTR disabled, RTS disabled, check parity disabled, Xon character \17, Xoff character \19.

I use the Cimco editor on my PC to send/receive NC files to the MX3. I use software handshaking. When sending a file from the PC to the MX3, I first setup the MX3 to input a file, then start the output from the PC.

I hope this helps,

David

www.deserthybrids.com

I think the problem is related to my PC; I am trying to use a USB-serial adapter from a laptop... something must be wrong with that since immediately after hitting 'IN' on the control, I get the parity error message, without even starting to send from the PC side. Tomorrow I'm going to try a different computer with a real serial port to see if that works. thanks

I think the problem is related to my PC; I am trying to use a USB-serial adapter from a laptop... something must be wrong with that since immediately after hitting 'IN' on the control, I get the parity error message, without even starting to send from the PC side. Tomorrow I'm going to try a different computer with a real serial port to see if that works. thanks

Bingo,
USB to serial adapters just plain don't work. Get a PCMCIA to serial and it will work fine. I'd also bet once you use a computer with a real port you won't have any problems either.
Dave

that is encouraging to hear... I've used a USB-serial adapter successfully for an entirely different application so I supposed that it would work in this case. hope you're right, I'll know tomorrow. if I had any sense I'd have tried out the USB-serial laptop connection on a control that I've already successfully communicated with, before getting too far down this path. but I'm optimistic now, thanks.

"USB to serial adapters just plain don't work."

I disagree, because the statement is too broad. I would say some work, some don't. I've seen some that don't come with driver software, and I don't understand how they could work, as this is an emulation, essentially.

I use one from BATO Technologies that works just fine. In fact, I use it on my Mac laptop running XP with a specific DNC software that I represent. It hasn't missed a beat. It does need to be plugged into the USB port before starting the DNC program, unlike a real serial port. A native serial port is optimal, but few new 'puters have them anymore.

I by no means want a battle on PM. I use a usb to serial all the time from my lap top to my Mazak(yasnac mx3), and my Cincinnati(acramatic 850sx). There have been quite a few posts of people buying the usb to serial from radio shack, and everyone seemed happy. I despise radioshack. I bought mine from best buy for about $30. Never had a problem yet.

Rosie

a null modem cable on a real serial port isn't working... the control settings don't seem to be right, though we have it configured for SW handshake on both sides. I'll hit 'IN' on the MX3 and the PC thinks it is sending, but the MX3 still flashes 'IN' at the bottom of the screen. At least it is not giving the 'TH PARITY ERROR!' message that it was reporting with the USB/serial adapter from a laptop.
The only other thought I have is that the files we are trying to send are not formatted correctly. Does anyone have a (simple) sample mx3 file they can post or send my way? We may be misinterpreting section 3.2.2 in the manual, and maybe that is causing the control to ignore the input (eg it might be waiting for a particular data sequence before reading). thanks again

Should I see parts of the program scrolling on the MX3 screen when the 'IN' is flashing? I'm wondering if the data is being received and just not saved, due to a program format problem. I've verified the serial port operation on the PC side.
However when the PC waits for DC1, it does not send, even though the MX3 is supposed to be using control characters. Maybe the MX3 is not using the same control chars; I seem to remember seeing a parameter for that.

flailing

"USB to serial adapters just plain don't work."

I disagree, because the statement is too broad. I would say some work, some don't. I've seen some that don't come with driver software, and I don't understand how they could work, as this is an emulation, essentially.

I use one from BATO Technologies that works just fine. In fact, I use it on my Mac laptop running XP with a specific DNC software that I represent. It hasn't missed a beat. It does need to be plugged into the USB port before starting the DNC program, unlike a real serial port. A native serial port is optimal, but few new 'puters have them anymore.

I'm sorry, it was too broad of a statement to have any merit. I have a USB to serial with drivers, never could get it to work and from what I've heard it's a hit or miss. Some work, some don't. For the same cost of the adapter cable I purchased a fully configurable PCMCIA to serial card. That worked flawlessly right from the start. I also have a USB to printer port adapter cable, that one works most of the time, sometimes I have to move it to a different USB port or it fails to "see" it. I would suspect in most cases it would be "Your mileage may vary"

buerkle,
I suspect that your problem is control related. RS232 parameters must be the same from pc to cnc control. Use software handshaking on the pc end to start. Also, send from the control to the pc to begin with, that's your best bet for decifering problems. I know there are some dnc trial programs that will scan the port to find the correct settings but I don't remember which ones they are off the top of my head, if I remember I'll let you know.

Dave

My mazak (mx3) only shows the flashing in as you say. There is no program visible. Other than the in flashing every thing is blank until the program is finished sending. It waits for a second then the program is shown.

If you want email me at: [email protected]
If you can describe what you want sent, I'll try to help. Emailing will be quicker and easier than me checking this.

Rosie

Just for gigles, double check your program for having a % sign at the beginning and at the end. I'm no expert, when I get something like this to work I leave it alone. There is a posibility that the stop bits might need to be different from the machine control to the coputer sending the program. However, here is a quick program to try.

Rosie

%
G80G90G40G49
N1(5/8 E.M. ROUGH SPIRAL OUT 3.7 DIA.)
(1/2"E.M. FINISH 3.53)
T1(CC=T11)
G80G90G40G49M8
G0G54S3000M3
G0X0.Y0.
G43H1Z.5
G1Z0.F10.
G12I.5D11K1.765Q.2F20.
G0Z1.5
G91
G30Z.5
M1

N1(5/8 E.M. FINISH 3.74 DIA.)
(1/2"E.M. FINISH 3.55)
T1(CC=T21)
G80G90G40G49M8
G0G54S3000M3
G0X-.2Y1.3
G43H1Z.5
G1Z0.F10.
G42X0.D29
Y1.52
G3J-1.52F20.
G1Y1.3
G40G0Z1.5
G91
G30Z.5
M1

N2(NG3078LK )
T19
G80G90G40G49M8
G0G55S3000M3
G0X-.2Y1.58
G43H19Z.5
G1Z-.05F10.
G42X0.D28
Y1.765
G3J-1.765F10.
G1Y1.5
G40G0Z1.5
G91
G30Z.5
M1
M30
%

buerkle,
I suspect that your problem is control related. RS232 parameters must be the same from pc to cnc control. Use software handshaking on the pc end to start. Also, send from the control to the pc to begin with, that's your best bet for decifering problems. I know there are some dnc trial programs that will scan the port to find the correct settings but I don't remember which ones they are off the top of my head, if I remember I'll let you know.

Dave

I agree the control is the problem.. with SW handshaking the PC will wait indefinitely to send (ie it's not getting DC1 signal). The funny thing is that it doesn't work with SW control turned off. I've tried sending the other way without success so far. tomorrow we are picking up a breakout box... if you can think of any port scanning tools that have merit, i'd appreciate it. We've tried one so far that wasn't much help.
thanks

Rosie, thanks for the sample program, but the result is the same. At least we can rule out that problem. you have mail.

buerkle:

Some of what I say below has already been mentioned.

First, set your PC to 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit, and no handshake. Guess at the baud rate. Send data from the CNC. Do you get anything, mean even garbage characters? Use a receiving program at the PC that is known to work with no handshaking, and that displays data as it is coming in. HyperTerminal is one that you should be able to get to work with some effort. See my comments on HyperTerminal at
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...d.php?t=148379 post #22.

If HyperTerminal is in software handshake mode or none it does not matter if the hardware handshake lines are jumpered or not you can still send and receive via
--- Capture Text... and Send Text File... ---

If not, and assuming a 25 pin connector at the CNC wired like Fanuc or HAAS, then jumper pins 4 and 5 together, and separately 6, 8, and 20 together, and try again. Set the CNC to no handshake if possible.

If this produces no data, then check the DC voltage at the CNC from pin 2 and 3 to pin 7 (common) or the machine chassis (one of the screw standoffs at the 25 pin connector). I expect this to be around -10 V on pin 2 and near 0 on pin 3.

Now try to get the CNC in a mode that requires no initiation signal for it to start sending data, this applies to the above tests as well. Monitor the pin that has the approximate -10 V while you send data. If data is going out, then while data is being output the voltage will be much nearer 0 than -10.

Your first task is to determine how to get data from the CNC because this is usually easier to converge on the communication parameters to use.

I believe that all UARTs base on the 16550 are always in a 1 stop bit mode for receive, and that changing the number of stop bits only affects the transmit direction.

I agree the control is the problem.. with SW handshaking the PC will wait indefinitely to send (ie it's not getting DC1 signal). The funny thing is that it doesn't work with SW control turned off. I've tried sending the other way without success so far. tomorrow we are picking up a breakout box... if you can think of any port scanning tools that have merit, i'd appreciate it. We've tried one so far that wasn't much help.
thanks

Usually when I get into a situation like this I start with off the shelf components. I use a serial cable, null modem and a rs232 mini tester. At least that tells me if the thing is ready to transmit or receive and whether data is flowing. You used to be able to get that stuff from radio shack but I haven't looked there for awhile. Thinking back, at work we had a Yasnac MX1 on an Acroloc machining center, it was so finicky about transferring rs232 it was sickening. IIRC, data being sent to the control was a max of 600 baud and out of the control was 1200 baud, very slow. One thing to remember is to set the pc to receive first and "push" the program from the control, when going to the control, set it to receive and push it from the pc.
If you need I can borrow you my mini tester, just let me know.
Dave

many thanks to all

I really appreciate all of the help. Here was the problem.

We hooked up the breakout box and noticed a sort of dimming of the RTS and TX lines' LEDs when sending information. Seemed like there was some kind of contention on the line. I had a hunch that the NC was maybe not wired as a DTE, in which case the null modem cable was double-crossing the lines... that would be consistent with what we were seeing. We switched lines 2&3 and 4&5 in the breakout box, and it worked great. From all appearances the internal connections on our machine did not look disturbed, and the documentation clearly stated null modem connection, so I'm not sure how it got that way.

One for the archives, I guess.

Back