What's new
What's new

One of the more complicated molds I've built

implmex

Diamond
Hi Guys:
I just finished up a mold this week that I'm rather proud of.
This is a complicated mechanical mold with slides, a lifter, complex blade ejectors, a really nasty parting line and accelerated ejection.
It makes 12 different parts in 4 cavities using interchangeable slides, cores, and cavity inserts.
It was quite the puzzle to design and build, with a huge amount of fussy wire EDM work and a ton of fitting.
This is the kind of tooling I don't think you can send to China to get designed or built, at least not yet.
I'm hoping all you moldmakers, ex-moldmakers, and machinists will enjoy the pictures.
Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix – Design & Innovation - home

Here are the pictures

first set of pictures

Attachments

• implant-mechanix-complex-mold-1.jpg
    implant-mechanix-complex-mold-1.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 2,016
  • implant-mechanix-complex-mold-2.jpg
    implant-mechanix-complex-mold-2.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 1,415
  • implant-mechanix-complex-mold-3.jpg
    implant-mechanix-complex-mold-3.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 1,466
  • implant-mechanix-complex-mold-accelerated-ejectors-up.jpg
    implant-mechanix-complex-mold-accelerated-ejectors-up.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 1,555
  • implant-mechanix-complex-mold-lifter-down.jpg
    implant-mechanix-complex-mold-lifter-down.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,696
Last edited:
more pictures

Here's the second set

Attachments

• implant-mechanix-complex-mold-lifter-up.jpg
    implant-mechanix-complex-mold-lifter-up.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 771
  • implant-mechanix-complex-mold-main-ejectors-up.jpg
    implant-mechanix-complex-mold-main-ejectors-up.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,001
Last edited:
I was gonna give you some good natured shit for being able to see one of the fit lines when the voice in my head said, "Holy maxed out molds, Batman. That thing's Biiiiiiiiiiizee!" All I can say is "wow". Nice work.

Truly amazing work, well done sir.

I've long been in awe of you guys that do mold-making. The capabilities of the machinery and software available today are nothing without the talent needed to use the technology.

My dad is a retired mold-maker, and he was showing me some very complex parts made from his work in thermoset plastics. All was done without the luxury of wire EDM (sinker only) or any CNC machines. B&S MicroMasters, Moore jig grinders and other special tools, and skills is all he had to work with.

He may have been able to make a mold nearly that complex, but it would have taken a year or more of his life. ;)

Very Impressive work ! And the interchangable parts make things a lot more complicated. Hope you have good retainers on the slides, or else flip the mold so gravity does not affect slides...

How long did it take to make those molds? Were there any mishaps along the way? I don't know the first thing about making molds, so imagining the process of having to make something like that leads me to feel that it would be incredibly stressful. Not much margin for error.

Amazing work!
We don't build many molds in my shop, but the ones we do are no where even close that complex!!! I mean not EVEN CLOSE!

How many man hours (approx) did that thing take?

Thanks for sharing.
Doug.

Cool stuff. I'm always glad when you post and I'm reminded to go and poke through your website. I always learn or am exposed to something new at "the dentist's site".

Brent

That is impressive and I'm jealous :D I've never been asked to make an injection mold, but I'd sure like to give it a whirl. But designing one, well, I don't know where to get the 'common sense' from to make it correctly.

Some background

Hi All:
Thank you for the kind words...it's nice to get some back pats for all the mind bending and labor that went into this tool, especially from those who understand all of what it takes to make things from scratch.

To answer some specific comments and questions:

wjr: Which fit line!!! Must be an optical illusion. Do I need to be embarrassed? You've got me worried now :<)

Pixman: Yeah, I remember when a well equipped toolroom in my area had a couple of Excello turret mills, a lathe, a couple of grinders, a saw and a radial drill, and maybe a Sparcatron sinker EDM or a Deckel pantograph.
When I started out, a really good toolmaker was a guy who was a whizz on the rotary table, or one who could blend in a free-form cavity with a pencil grinder after popping in the co-ordinates with a ball cutter using the DRO on the turret mill.
How times have changed!!

Davis in SC: Good observation: the mold will be rotated 90 degrees in operation so the slides run horizontally.
I do have pretty hefty ball detents under the slides to hold them back until the locks pick them up as the mold closes.
I've also got a microswitch under the ejector plate so the mold can't close until the ejector system is pulled all the way back.
I sure hope the molders remember to hook the microswitch into the press...if they don't it's going to be one helluvan expensive crunch, and there's no way to put effective safety pins in this mold.
Much hopping up and down was done to make them very aware of this; let's see how she goes.

Bruce: the tool went out to the molders today...I'll post pictures when I get sample shots back.

ions82: You learn to resist the calls to hurry when you're a toolmaker...pisses off the management at times, but it's way way cheaper not to screw it up in the first place.
Toolmaking is a lot different than production machining...you learn to make different trade offs, like programming to be kind to a cutting tool or a fragile workpiece rather than going hell-bent for cycle time optimisation, as you need to, to make money in production.
It can be a bit intimidating to punch the green button on an unproven program with a part in the vise that's got a hundred hours of work in it already, but by and large you get used to it.
And, as Greg points out; there's always the welder to fall back on.
In fact, I have a laser welder in my shop...best confidence builder money can buy!!
Fortunately I didn't need it on this build, but yes, sometimes you put a nice signature divot in your expensive mold insert and have to cry for a bit.

mthomure: I started the design of the mold when I started the design of the parts, so I knew exactly what I could and couldn't get away with by the time I was ready to model the tool in Solidworks.
There's probably a hundred odd design hours in the mold itself, with the hardest part making everything interchangeable without having to tear the whole mold apart for changeover.
If you've been around molds a bit, you'll see some unconventional things like mounting bolts visible from the parting faces of the mold...that's to allow changeover without having to pull the mold from the press.
It's a nuisance for the molder, but it saved the customer about 2/3 the cost of building individual tools for all twelve parts.

cnctoolcat: Yeah, I was a dentist for a brief moment in time (8 years actually), but I just couldn't resist making stuff for a living...building molds is way more fun than dentistry, at least for me.

Doug925: I haven't had a chance to calculate the hours yet, but I've been off and on this tool since last September when I started the design.
At a guess I'd say around a thousand hours, including design, making 40 odd electrodes, all the wire EDM, sinker EDM, fitting and polishing hours.
The CNC milling time was probably less than two weeks.
There are a lot of hidden things too...the assembled mold actually doesn't look like all that much, especially when you see it in person.
It's only 7" x 10" x 6" high, so it's pretty tiny, but it's got a bunch of hidden parts in the second stage ejection system that you will never see unless you pull it apart.

Antarctica: I'm pleased you like my site...most everyone who does websites for a living thinks it's awful...way too wordy and not snappily commercial, but I don't care.
Thanks for the compliment!!

HuFlungDung: Building molds for a quoted price is a really good way to lose your ass, but it's a lot of fun too.
A bit like making model airplanes when you were a kid, except you get paid for it.
I got my training from a crusty dutchman who apprenticed with Phillips in Holland back in the day.
He was a truly gifted toolmaker, and we used to sit around the breakfast table after the morning shift with a boxful of parts he was quoting on, and brainstorm how we were going to do them.
It was a priceless education, and I owe him a debt of gratitude.

Joe 788: Yeah my head hurt from time to time too!

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix – Design & Innovation - home

Marcus.....Looks like a very nice design and execution.
Accelerated ejector systems are a neat diversion from the norm.
The few that I had experience with always did much better in electric ballscrew presses.

What is the purpose of the tapped hole on the single cavity side and any concern with that hole packing with material from overshots?
Seems to be at an angle to the parting face and aimed at the oblong ejector.

Do you vent your sprue and runners?

Concerning the molders actually following your directions of always hooking up the microswitches...good luck with that ;)

Good luck with your sampling!!

Nice job Marcus. Clean looking tool.

It's been over 11 yrs since I touched a mold. Pretty much forgot all I learned. But I do remember spendin 12 hrs a day in front of a surface grinder.

Back