What's new
What's new

5 micron tolerance cutting nylex

ian3846

Aluminum
hi guys

the boss gave me a drawing today and said make 40 of these the part was simple 18mm max diameter with 1 step and a few champers tapped m8 though. then i saw the tolerances +.005mm -0.000. i asked why the tolearance is so tight espesically with nylex (nylon) he said its a press fit. I said can i have a realistic tolerance...... well you know the answer i got. So set up and started making these parts and after a about 20 minutes i had a about 4 in tolerance and at least 12 out of tolerance not by much .001 .002 etc lots of varience for no reason. they ended giving the first 40 the ok so i guess the tolerance had changed?

Anyway i was wondering if it possible to pull this of and keep 100% within tolerance and if so how?

Thanks

...espesically with nylex (nylon) he said its a press fit...

The solution is easy: measure the specimens with undersize IDs and oversize ODs when it is dry out, and the specimens with oversize IDs and undersize ODs when it's raining.

I´ve had parts grow over .01 mm overnight in Delrin.
I forgot to turn down the chuck pressure before I ran the parts, and used the same as for running metals.
If I remember correctly that was over 30 bars (450 psi) on the hydraulic gauge. (Don´t know how much actual pressure that represents in the collet on that machine - Index G65)
Not fun!
My boss checked them and throwed them in the bin...

Back