What's new
What's new

Fadal mill computed arc error

TRIO

Plastic
OK...First of all, this is not a request for help, but to post the solution to an issue I recently had solved. The info might be handy to someone, someday.

Background...Somewhat new to me, a Fadal VMC2216 with 88HS control. Milling very simple slots, as I had done for years.
At first, trying to use tool dia offset and getting "Computed arc error" messages. So I thought that I did the offset wrong, tried again with a different method. Same error.

So then I decided to not use G41 and programmed to tool ctr path. Same error again. OK, my prints are in Metric, perhaps it was a rounding error to inch values and tried again fixing any rounding errors that I found. SAME D*** ERROR! Ugh, ticking me off as boss wants his parts ASAP and I couldn't get past this simple issue.

All the while, the graphic check on Fadal looked good and backplotting on my PC looked good.

When I ran program any to see where the issue lies, it looked like it was moving the each Z pass of my slot along the X axis. Kind of like it was using G91 instead of G90. Nope, that wasn't it.

Solution found...I'm used to programming in Fanuc format that uses G54, G55, etc. The Fadal also uses E, as in E15. When I mistyped the desired E15 as G15, it activated A-axis arc mov't, which totally messed up my desired XY arc mov't.

So hopefully, this info is useful to someone.

Back