What's new
What's new

Fadal programming question

SShep71

Hot Rolled
I just finally was allowed to buy a VMC, I would up with a Fadal 3016 88HS from 1994. I have experience with HAAS programming, and before I start to look at CAM software I want to make sure I get the basics for Fadal worked out. This question is related to pocket milling, HAAS has a G12/G13 pocket milling fixed canned cycle with a "L" value that repeats the pocket milling "L" (value specified by L) times. So a .200 deep pocket with a .050 depth would have an "L" value of 4. Does Fadal have any type of pocket milling repeat value for the L9601 or L9701 rectangular milling? I need to make a .5 deep pocket but I do not want to try to do it all in one depth pass, I would also like to avoid having to manually type the L9601 cycle 8 times.

I just finally was allowed to buy a VMC, I would up with a Fadal 3016 88HS from 1994. I have experience with HAAS programming, and before I start to look at CAM software I want to make sure I get the basics for Fadal worked out. This question is related to pocket milling, HAAS has a G12/G13 pocket milling fixed canned cycle with a "L" value that repeats the pocket milling "L" (value specified by L) times. So a .200 deep pocket with a .050 depth would have an "L" value of 4. Does Fadal have any type of pocket milling repeat value for the L9601 or L9701 rectangular milling? I need to make a .5 deep pocket but I do not want to try to do it all in one depth pass, I would also like to avoid having to manually type the L9601 cycle 8 times.

There's online manuals at Fadalcnc.com, I'd start there. I have a 4020, and any pocketing I do in Surfcam, so never needed to use or know canned cycles.

BTW 3016 are great machines if in good shape

I am over there now and I think I may have found what I was looking for. I would just like someone who knows the operation to comment so I don't start making holes in things that shouldn't have them. The section is for calling up a subroutine Liikk. Would changing the kk value just repeat the sub routine that many times as HAAS's "L" value does for G12/13? Does it make a difference that L96 and L97 are subs in the control vs writing my own sub routines? The information is at the link below.

https://flintmachine.com/images/uploads/pdfs/user-manual/Sect_5_Subroutines.pdf

This machine is in good shape, it was in a small shop and it only did small slotting work as the shop ran new HAAS VMCs. It was neglected in maintenance, but overall not bad. I was lucky enough to get it with a 4th axis as well. I spent A LOT of time taking things apart cleaning/inspecting and doing a good review. I cleaned the metering jets, lube system, spindle coolant system, flood coolant system, cooling fans, and whatever else was covered in slime from the previous people that never changed anything. I took the table off and re-glued the turcite on gibs and wear surfaces then scraped it back in. I am still intending on doing some small things, but my wife has me on a hold from spending money on a USB setup, memory expansion from 128k to 16MB, and a rigid tapping setup. In due time I guess. I don't even have a computer for RS232 yet, hence the manual hand jamming.

If I'm not sure about what a program is going to do I run it high and cut air, if it looks right then I'll cut the part.

I have a 1991 machine without rigid taping. It has an upgraded motor and baldor drive, so I could upgrade the board with rigid tapping eproms, add an encoder to the motor and get rigid taping, but so far I haven't seen the need. I use tension/compression tap holders which work ok. I might upgrade, but so far haven't seen the need.

I ended up having to change all the metering units and cooling fans as well. The turcite on mine isn't in great shape, but not going to tackle that until I either get some time to replace it or, it effects part quality.

If yours is a DC servo machine, you might want to check the resolvers, and get a brush and clean the commutaters of the tachometers. The resolvers on mine fell apart on X and Y and I couldn't get a good finish at all. resolvers off ebay were $100 ea.

For sending files to the machine I found ONECNC DNC program (free download) to be best. Better than the FadalDNC program, which for some reason wasn't that reliable.

the best way to get your programs onto a Fadal
is the unit calmotion makes uses flash drive no hiccups caused by
wires

I've heard the same thing, one issue i have is when the PC is connected the keyboard is a bit slow, apparently a known problem.

When I get some spare pennies I'll buy one of those Calmotion USB thingies

I am still intending on doing some small things, but my wife has me on a hold from spending money on a USB setup, memory expansion from 128k to 16MB, and a rigid tapping setup. In due time I guess. I don't even have a computer for RS232 yet, hence the manual hand jamming.

Why do you want to expand the internal memory AND go with the USB deal? That's kind of redundant.. Besides,
you've got a '94, if it hasn't had the guts upgraded, I believe the max memory is 640K, or something tiny like
that.

The shop near me runs all Fadals with the USB setup from Calmotion, the owner told me that when he updated the memory he noticed a difference for the better with finishes and reducing machine time per part. From other people I have talked to with Fadals I have been told that running from internal memory as opposed to running off a stick has other benefits. I guess I have more research to do into the memory upgrade, and I am definitely going to have some heavy questions for the Fadal tech that suggested the 16MB upgrade.

The shop near me runs all Fadals with the USB setup from Calmotion, the owner told me that when he updated the memory he noticed a difference for the better with finishes and reducing machine time per part. From other people I have talked to with Fadals I have been told that running from internal memory as opposed to running off a stick has other benefits. I guess I have more research to do into the memory upgrade, and I am definitely going to have some heavy questions for the Fadal tech that suggested the 16MB upgrade.

I wonder if at the same time he upgraded the memory he upgraded the processor boards as well. The -4 boards in mine are more than adequate for 3D contouring at 100ipm. The improved finishes and machining time are probably a function of how fast the feedrates can be before the machine hesitates. The upgraded processor boards will have more memory.

I'd run the machine first and see how adequate it is.

and get a brush and clean the commutaters of the tachometers.

Here is a tip I wish somebody had told me...

Unless you have a new tacho-generator, with new magnet ring, sitting in the box ready to
go in.... DO NOT unscrew and take out the magnet ring..

Over time the glue goes to hell, and when you take the ring out, it comes out in pieces, and
then when you superglue it back together its not as strong as it was, and then everything goes
to hell, and you have to buy a new Tach, and they aren't free... It would only generate
about half the voltage it was supposed to..

Of course I was so stupid, I pulled the magnet ring out of another motor to check the first one,
and had to buy 2 new tachs.

Luckily I was in such a hurry to get the machine up and running again that all I did was clean the commutator as best I could in situ. If I'd had another day to play with it I would have made the same mistake.

I have a 1995 manual, I retired 12 years ago and have no need for it, your welcome to it, just pay shipping

Back