What's new
What's new

Fadal VMC 3016 Vertical CNC Milling Machine Model year 1994 - VERDICT

The rust pitting in the Z ways at the home position is something that would give me pause.

Given the general condition and Y axis resolver problem, I'd say less than $5000 would be closer to reality. Any machine that can't be demonstrated is a pig-ina-poke and should be priced accordingly.

Even then, you're looking at 17% VAT, correct?

Then you have to fix the thing.

You'll be $10k deep into a 1994 Fadal at least. I bet once you dig into lube, gibs, turcite, bearings, and screws, you'll find quite a bit that needs repairing.

$10k if you do the work yourself.

Its a Fadal, they are all almost exactly the same.. That's an older DC machine, which isn't
necessarily a bad thing, its box ways, which can need some adjustment and care to make sure
they are getting oiled...

It comes with a 4th.. Sell that plus the driver board and wiring and you'll get half your money
back.. Its got almost 20 holders in it, new that's $1500 on the low end, plus the tools that
are in them..

If it powers up with a Y axis resolver fault, I might be interested if it was local.. Thing
you don't know is how trashed are the moving parts, since you can't move it.

If its maintained, its a decent machine, it'll pull a hell of a cut and can be very accurate..
IF MAINTAINED!!!!

Parts are almost free compared to almost any other manufacturer out there.

There are a fairly large number of parts suppliers also.. You can have any part you
need on your doorstep tomorrow morning, and its not going to break the bank.. (shipping
might kick YOU in the nuts though)...

Its not a Mazak, its not a Mori.. Its a simple commodity machine, tool changes are slow
as hell, accelerations aren't great, rapids are so-so.. It should be a 15hp spindle..
HORSE power, not HAAS power, 15hp continuous, 22.5 for 5 or 15 minutes, I don't remember.
2 speed so you have a TON of nut down low. And it'll use it all.

The control is about the simplest and easiest thing you could ever touch.. AWESOME utilities,
and its in plain old english.. Menu driven and literally baby steps you through how to do things.
Parameters aren't 4000 pages of BS in binary and hexidecimal... Its 3 short pages written in english.
"Rigid Tap 1)Yes 2)No" stuff like that.

First year of the good ones. That rust crap on the Z actually looks like splatter and may just wipe off. That's a screaming deal for one with a 4th axis if it works.

Back