What's new
What's new

Fadal VMC2216 Way Cover Wiper Replacement

Atomkinder

Titanium
So I pulled the old ones (gross) and we have the new strip in hand... do I just have to shove this into the way cover slot? THis is for the Y axis cover, and I don't know if the entire assembly can be gotten off (bolts are pretty damn stuck at the moment).

Tips and tricks? Oil it maybe? I don't want to mar the surface badly so pushing with a screwdriver seems like a bad idea...

Well, I've quickly discovered that they are supposed to just push right in. The bottom wiper did okay, with a decent amount of effort, but now I'm worried about how banged up the top wiper slot/holder/whatever-it's-called is.

I recently talked with metal in motion way cover repair about one of my machines. They gave some pretty good advice though I haven't fixed the machine yet. Might be worth a call.

The way covers have wipers? I thought the chips were packed in there to keep the other chips from getting in...

And don't stand on them... Guess how I know that?

And I also believe that it should be an international law that the distance from table to way
cover should be large enough that you can't stuff a 6" Kurt vice handle into them.

On my machines that handle can go to about 5:30 or 6:30 the other way (hour hand).. Then on an X axis move. Crunch
goes the way cover...

I got the wiper in with some (probably ill-advised) coaxing/machine assistance. I pried the gap until the wiper would at least locate, and then used a couple inch wide strip of steel to push it in via Jog and the sheet metal on the front (being very careful of course). It's in, which is better than not at this point, and in a few years I'll probably have to revisit it again. I will probably bring up this thread, too, just to see what I did!

Atom, When I replaced the wipers on our VMC 15XT I carefully spread the slots apart to get what remained of them out then pinched them back down just a hair under so I could spring the lip back out to install the new ones. I took a sharp punch and repunched the dimples to hold the rubber that were punched at the factory. One set actually had small holes drilled so I punched them so they flared into the rubber.

Hope this make sense.

Another note there are some brass pads on the inside of the way covers that are usually worn out. I made some and replaced them too. One spring was broken also and I ended up finding a replacement at McMaster Carr.

Oh ya... I used undiluted coolant to make it slippery.

Ours seemed pretty banged up, and I couldn't get the bolts off attaching the support assembly so it all stayed on the machine, and I wasn't able to get to the underside of the way covers. Which sort of sucks because I'm sure it's awful under there. Oh well.

Back