What's new
What's new

Fanuc 0-MD tool offsets in metric

conradshawcross

Plastic
Hi,

We have a Fanuc 0-MD controller on a Hardinge VMC-1000 which I have been trying to set up tool offsets on but have found that in metric the lengths are limited to 99.999mm. I was wondering if there was a way to change this in the parameters so I could input lengths greater then this in metric.

Ideally I don't want to work in imperial to resolve this or come up with a hack gauge that means all the tool lengths come in at under 100mm.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I have basically used this forum to set up the whole mill from scratch, it is a great resource. Thanks you in advance.

Everything I've seen in either the Operator or Parameter Manual shows 999.999 or 999.9999 for metric length offsets, depending on whether your control is set up for IS-B or IS-C. In either case, you should be able to input values greater than 99.999. What happens if you input 100.? Does it round to 99.999, or give an alarm?

Are you entering and using the soft key to input it or are you using the actual "INPUT" key?
I only have an OMC but I know that some controls are setup that you cannot enter in a wear offset larger than a certain amount. Also is it setup that when you input the amount it is absolute (so if you input 50.0 it displays 50.0) or incremental so if you input 50.0 and then 40.0 does it make it 90.0?

If you put in 100 without the point 0.1 would be correct if your parameters are setup that way.

I've tried a few different methods for input. Both keys and also using G10 Data input command.

These are absolute values, It wont let me add 1 to 99 for example with incremental.

Yep its in metric mode.

So annoyingly the offset can be 99.99 inches or 99.99 mm

I have done a work around by setting my shortest tool to offset 0mm and then every other tool offset being set in relation to this. Not ideal but it works.

Yep its in metric mode.

So annoyingly the offset can be 99.99 inches or 99.99 mm

I have done a work around by setting my shortest tool to offset 0mm and then every other tool offset being set in relation to this. Not ideal but it works.

There is no parameter that controls this at all. This is basic Fanuc convention for ALL controls. Inch mode is XX.XXXX ( 4 places to the right of decimal), Metric mode is XXX.XXX ( 3 paces to the right of decimal). Check Parameter 0.2 amd make sure it is a "0" for metric mode. Hardinge does not even have any control over this but I would call them anyway, or call Fanuc.

Paul

Back