What's new
What's new

Fanuc 0i-MC trouble communicating

pianoman8t8

Hot Rolled
Hey guys/gals,
I had mostly sorted out issues with communicating with my Fanuc with the DNC software I have. Have been running a few programs over the past couple weeks, but now today I can't transmit crap it seems. Initially was getting 087 buffer overflow alarm, so I slowed down the baud from 9600 to 2400 (which previously worked fine).

Up until yesterday, I was able to send and receive no problem. Although, it would usually trim off the first couple of lines when sending to CNC. Whatever no huge deal.

Now, I can't send faster than 2400, and cant send back to PC at all. I get an 086 DR signal off now. I have a null-modem cable, I have not verified the pinout though. Works fine on my other CNC lathe, Siemens control on that one.

Another odd thing back on the Fanuc now, is when I go to read the file, I go to Edit, OPRT, READ, (prepare file in DNC top send), then EXEC. It blinks LSK for half a second, then stops everything (blank). I then go back to PROG, OPRT, READ, EXEC, and it starts reading the file, but it's starting a couple/few lines into the file, cutting off the first few lines.

Any ideas? I'm still fairly new to RS232 communications...

I have verified the parameter settings on the Fanuc side, that they match what's in the DNC.

The CNC does have the PCMCIA card slot (param 0020 to 4), reads fine off of that, but when "sent" back to the card, I can't open it on the PC for viewing. If I change the file format to .TXT then open it, there are no lines... the whole program is all 1 long line.

Hey guys/gals,
I had mostly sorted out issues with communicating with my Fanuc with the DNC software I have. Have been running a few programs over the past couple weeks, but now today I can't transmit crap it seems. Initially was getting 087 buffer overflow alarm, so I slowed down the baud from 9600 to 2400 (which previously worked fine).

Up until yesterday, I was able to send and receive no problem. Although, it would usually trim off the first couple of lines when sending to CNC. Whatever no huge deal.

Now, I can't send faster than 2400, and cant send back to PC at all. I get an 086 DR signal off now. I have a null-modem cable, I have not verified the pinout though. Works fine on my other CNC lathe, Siemens control on that one.

Another odd thing back on the Fanuc now, is when I go to read the file, I go to Edit, OPRT, READ, (prepare file in DNC top send), then EXEC. It blinks LSK for half a second, then stops everything (blank). I then go back to PROG, OPRT, READ, EXEC, and it starts reading the file, but it's starting a couple/few lines into the file, cutting off the first few lines.

Any ideas? I'm still fairly new to RS232 communications...

I have verified the parameter settings on the Fanuc side, that they match what's in the DNC.

The CNC does have the PCMCIA card slot (param 0020 to 4), reads fine off of that, but when "sent" back to the card, I can't open it on the PC for viewing. If I change the file format to .TXT then open it, there are no lines... the whole program is all 1 long line.

Hello pianoman8t8,
With a multimetre set to measure DC Voltage, at the DB25 Female Connector at the control (the connector you have your cable between PC and Control connected) test between pins 20 and Protective Ground (the frame of the control, or pin 1 of the connector). If you don't see a voltage above circa 5VDC then that is the reason for the PS/086 error message.

Post a copy of the control parameters you have set for RS232 Comms.

With regards to your cable, if its an over the counter Null Modem Cable, there is no guarantee that its correct. Null Modem is a generic term and refers to any cable where the Send and Receive lines are crossed from end to end. Following is a list of common versions of Null Modem cables:

1. No Handshake Null Modem
2. Loopback Null Modem (Software Handshake)
3. Full Handshake Null Modem (Hardware Handshake)

If the back shells of the cable can be removed, take a picture of each exposed connector showing the wires attached to the pins and Post them here on the Forum.

Regards,

Bill

Last edited:

Might want to check parameter 0100 bit #2(CRF) and #3(NCR). They deal with Line Feed/Carriage Return values for EOB (End Of Block) on file output.

Back