What's new
What's new

Fanuc 0itc and M29 Rigid tapping question.

joesimmers

Aluminum
I just bought a lathe with a Fanuc 0itc control on it and i am trying to verify that it does indeed have rigid tapping option on the control.

I am just learning lathe programming (mill guy) so i have just gotten the machine to where I can run programs already in the control and set tools.

Perhaps someone could post a small simple tapping program that i could try?

Or is there another way to check if this option is turned on?

Thanks, joe Simmers

Been a while, but try something like this. I assume this is live tooling.

N1 G97 S800 M13 T0101;
M52;
G28 C0.;
G0 G99 X0. Z.25;
M29 S800;
G84 X0. Z-.5 F(lead);
G80;
G0 (home);
M15;
M53;
M1;

Rigid tapping non-live? Never heard of it. :smoking:

Use a floater, the Hardinge TT holder is great. Use G92 with the calculated dwell. The TT, and others, have pull-out distance. You need to subtract the pull-out distance from your Z depth in the cycle. ;)

Rigid Tapping.

Hello Joe:
Rigid tapping with the G84 cycle is an option, some machines have it and some don't.
Which machine did you get?
Generally, the real brand names would have the cycle.
Do you use G54-G55 for setup the Z zero or do you use the Workshift?
Are you doing OK with all the other features, Canned Cycles, Nose Radius Comp, etc.?
Lets say you want to tap a 3/8-16 tap in Mild Steel(1018)and you use the Workshift.
O1000*
G50 S1500*
T0101*
G97 S200 *
G0 X0 Z1.0 M8*
M29 S200 M3*
G84 R.2 Z-.6 F.0625*
G80*
G0 X4.0 Z4.0 M9*
M30*
I am not sure about the feedrate, it might be in IPM, I used feed per rev.
Call me if you are stuck with anything.
Heinz. 614-888-8466.
By the way, my website has changed, its:
http://www.doccnc.com

It is available:)

I don't get it, how's rigid available as a main spindle function? Then, wouldn't it all be rigid tap? Is rigid tap only with a collet? What if one is using an 8" 3-jaw chuck with large steel jaws?

Gentleman!

Hello Guys, I would like to save you all a crash... M codes are misc. codes and are also used to the machine builders discretion and not fanucs.The same model control on two different machines, ex. mori-seiki vs Wasino, the same codes can activate different relays and such. R values in different canned cycles can mean different things. Not every G84 or G92 or G71 has the same variables used or they may be used, but for different things, like thread height. The first question I would like to ask is. Who is the machine builder? and what group code is used a,b,or c. A quick determining factor as to the group of code used is whether or not it uses G94 and G95 for inch per min or feed per rev. or the more common G98 and G99. Does it take a M03 or M04 for spindle command or does it take M13 or M14? (spindle on and coolant on, or off)
I'm just saying there is alot of variables before saying ok here it is, try it.
I would say that would be good provided you did so my increasing your workshift so that you are cutting air or increasing your G54,G55 or whatever coordinate you are using.

Just my 2cents
Jon

Rigid Tapping is just an encoder on the main spindle counting revs. That is it. Collet chuck or 3 Jaw makes no difference. Just $15,000.00 is the only difference.

After speaking to Heinz who has helped me a bunch with his advice, the G84 still will not function with an M29 before it.

The G84 functions fine by itself though.

I have a program that is on my program directory that has the comments "M29 rigid tapping"

The problem is that the program is "locked" and I can no access it like a normal program to look at it.

I need to find the parameter to unlock this program so i can see it in my 0itc control, anyone have any idea what the parameter is???

Thanks, Joe

Rigid Tapping is just an encoder on the main spindle counting revs. That is it. Collet chuck or 3 Jaw makes no difference. Just $15,000.00 is the only difference.

Counts revs where? You can't tell me that there is no difference with a bunch of weight on the spindle, brake and reverse wise. I am not talking about a collet chuck, I'm talking about a collet directly in the spindle nose. That, my friend does make a difference. :smoking:

I don't get it, how's rigid available as a main spindle function? Then, wouldn't it all be rigid tap? Is rigid tap only with a collet? What if one is using an 8" 3-jaw chuck with large steel jaws?

When I went to Hardinge School we did rigid tapping with the 8" chuck and soft jaws. Pretty much just like on a mill. Except I don't think we needed the M29 BS. :D
This was on a Talent SV which is the lowest end of their line with the stripped down 0T control.

I just would not go and try it at 1000 RPM;)

Edit.
I just checked the manual.:rolleyes5:
Uh M29 was needed.:o

Last edited:
ARB,

I believe you. What material? Mild steel, alum, 316ss? I just can't see a rigid tap dealy ON the main spindle being a good idea, esp for $15k. I dunno, I was with a T42SP for over 8 years, no rigid tap, but always noticed a difference with reverse time from a 16c collet to the Gamet 3-jaw. I close my eyes and see a whole bunch of taps snapping and a line of operators not watching when I imagine rigid tap on the main spindle. Maybe I am getting old...NAW...Let's see the kitty! Please! :D

We were playing in aluminum in class. I have only tapped one part on our lathe in a little over 2 years. So I am no expert.:)

1154018109361.jpg

Back