Fanuc 10ma blank screen...HELP
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Posts
    46
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    10
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Question Fanuc 11ma blank screen... HELP Please

    Hey guys, I fired up old Mori(MV-80) earlier today and everything was fine. Homed the machine, moved to table so I could reach the spindle to swap out tools manually because the one in it is to heavy for the tool changer, switched tools and went to type m06 for the tool changer to switch to the tool I wanted but the screen was blank. Now it wont show anything. It started acting up a few weeks ago, sometimes it would take longer for the screen to come on after the hydraulics started up, one time it started flashing/ moving the text around the screen but then it worked like normal and one time I had the screen working fine but had no lights like the ATC HP,TLC,MEM or ZRN etc. a shut down and restart fixed that. But today I have no screen...Everything else seems to work except the display. Can anyone point me in the right direction on what to check? PS the error light is on because I didn't start the air compressor up tonight just to check if the screen would work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_0050.jpg   img_0051.jpg  
    Last edited by CNC Farming; 12-28-2017 at 07:51 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Vancouver, WA. USA
    Posts
    2,555
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    523
    Likes (Received)
    1249

    Default

    First thing to check will be all the DC power supply voltages. Old capacitors in power supplies cause weird voltage fluctuations or failures.

  3. Likes lowCountryCamo liked this post
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Posts
    46
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    10
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    First thing to check will be all the DC power supply voltages. Old capacitors in power supplies cause weird voltage fluctuations or failures.
    I was just trying to check voltages on it when you replied. At this fuse I get .064 volts dc so I'm assuming I have a power supply issue. Any idea where to look? Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_e0053.jpg  

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Peoria, IL
    Posts
    10,634
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    36
    Likes (Received)
    7910

    Default

    Most CRT units are 12VDC. But, some have their own power supply and can run on 110 or 220VAC. I would guess that the control power supply also supplies the CRT. That would be in the control cabinet.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Posts
    46
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    10
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default

    Just noticed the magnetic contactor labeled MS2 is tripping when the start button is pushed. I'll try to understand the wiring diagram and see if it could be related to the crt not working
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_0055.jpg   img_0054.jpg  

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Savannah, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    1,602
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2581
    Likes (Received)
    570

    Default

    If you know this already, sorry. That contactor looks to have a thermal overload below it. They will trip if too hot, protecting the motor it feeds. I would check for continuity between the terminals, and each to ground; same on DC voltage.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Posts
    46
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    10
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default

    I am not an electrical engineer and I struggle with electrical diagrams but the way I see this MS2 is for the hydraulic pump, maybe it's tripping because I didn't supply the machine with air. DS1 and P24 appear to be dc24v for the control circuit. I appreciate all replies, going to grab a few more pics with notes on what voltages I get
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_0056.jpg   img_0057.jpg  

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Vancouver, WA. USA
    Posts
    2,555
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    523
    Likes (Received)
    1249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CNC Farming View Post
    I was just trying to check voltages on it when you replied. At this fuse I get .064 volts dc so I'm assuming I have a power supply issue. Any idea where to look? Thanks
    Describe how you checked it. Was one of your meter probes to machine ground? Be very cautious metering around the CRT. There voltages in excess of 10,000 volts used in a CRT that size.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Posts
    46
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    10
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default

    The pictures show the voltage readings I took. On CR3 wire R11 was fluctuating back and forth between 6.8 volts and 7.1 Any thoughts? Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_e0061.jpg   img_e0060.jpg   img_e0064.jpg  

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Vancouver, WA. USA
    Posts
    2,555
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    523
    Likes (Received)
    1249

    Default

    OK. I gotta ask why you are testing everything for DC voltage? Some of the points in your pictures are AC so will show bizarre results when the meter is set to DC.

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Peoria, IL
    Posts
    10,634
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    36
    Likes (Received)
    7910

    Default

    OK. We're all over the map here. The green square thing in the second picture appears to be a rectifier. I don't know what it has to do with anything.

    If the thermal overload for the hydraulics is tripping, you have a whole other issue there. Have you checked the incoming power?

    Back to the CRT, one or two pins of the connector for the CRT will have 12V DC or something close to it I would think. Trace that back to see where the power is coming from.

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Posts
    46
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    10
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    OK. I gotta ask why you are testing everything for DC voltage? Some of the points in your pictures are AC so will show bizarre results when the meter is set to DC.
    Because I'm not an electrician lol. I was just going from the manual and following the wires that had something to do with what it said about 24v dc power supply for control circuit

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Posts
    46
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    10
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ewlsey View Post
    OK. We're all over the map here. The green square thing in the second picture appears to be a rectifier. I don't know what it has to do with anything.

    If the thermal overload for the hydraulics is tripping, you have a whole other issue there. Have you checked the incoming power?

    Back to the CRT, one or two pins of the connector for the CRT will have 12V DC or something close to it I would think. Trace that back to see where the power is coming from.
    Ok, first forget about the hydraulic overload. I turned the air on and the machine is currently running the spindle warm up program, just can't see the screen. The red boxes are on the 2 cables that come into the crt. Just take them both off and check every pin for power? I'm sure there is a better way
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_e0065.jpg   img_0068.jpg  

  15. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Posts
    46
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    10
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default

    2 pins on the top cable have 24 volts to them. The thing still makes that weird (old tv shutting off) noise when you power it off even though you cant see anything. What to check next? Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_e0065.jpg  

  16. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Peoria, IL
    Posts
    10,634
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    36
    Likes (Received)
    7910

    Default

    OK. Take a sheet of paper and put it up to the CRT screen in front and see if there is any static cling. If the paper clings to the screen, it probably has high voltage.

    At the neck on the back of the tube is a socket with 7 pins or something like that. Can you see a faint glow inside the glass tube? That's the heater for the tube. It should glow all the time when power is on.

    Next we have to verify you are getting a video signal. That's tough to do without another machine to swap parts from or an oscilloscope. I'll have to think of how to do that.

  17. Likes lowCountryCamo liked this post
  18. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Posts
    46
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    10
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ewlsey View Post
    OK. Take a sheet of paper and put it up to the CRT screen in front and see if there is any static cling. If the paper clings to the screen, it probably has high voltage.

    At the neck on the back of the tube is a socket with 7 pins or something like that. Can you see a faint glow inside the glass tube? That's the heater for the tube. It should glow all the time when power is on.

    Next we have to verify you are getting a video signal. That's tough to do without another machine to swap parts from or an oscilloscope. I'll have to think of how to do that.
    I'm assuming for the paper test I should pull the plastic bezel/screen protector off? The control is actually an 11m not a 10 and I happen to have a mori sl-25 with an 11T on it about 30 feet from the mv-80

  19. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Peoria, IL
    Posts
    10,634
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    36
    Likes (Received)
    7910

    Default

    You can usually hear a high pitch whine that indicates you have high voltage present. Or you can pull that weird suction cup thing out and arc to the chassis but you need to be vert careful. There are capacitors that can store a wicked charge, so you have to discharge it first by shorting to the chassis.

  20. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    5,013
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    642
    Likes (Received)
    1832

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CNC Farming View Post
    I'm assuming for the paper test I should pull the plastic bezel/screen protector off?
    Just to stop you.

    You don't need to do that.

  21. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Posts
    46
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    10
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default

    Paper has a little static to it. But I Don't see a faint glow or anything going on in the glass tube

  22. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Posts
    46
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    10
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default

    I opened up the control panel on the lathe. It has a high pitch noise that is easily heard and a glow in the back to tube. These 2 things are not happening in the one that doesn't work


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •