What's new
What's new

RS232, wired or wireless?

joesimmers

Aluminum
Hello, I am looking to upgrade from running back and forth from the machine with a usb stick.

The wireless systems look interesting but are they expensive? The 2 machines I am looking
to hookup are about 30 feet from my pc. A straight run no walls.

My pc has onecnc which I believe has this transfer capability so I am hoping I do not require buying more software, my haas mill has a usb port and a rs232 connection. My Fanuc Oitc lathe I use a compact flash with some sort of adapter to currently transfer programs. It also has a rs232 port.

I would Ideally like to keep this under $200 and would prefer some sort of plug and play on the wiring, I am not interested in building custom cables myself for this.

Any links to anyone that can provide these cables and info is appreciated.

Thanks, Joe

I like wired. I use betatronics I232 systems for the machines that use an rs232 port. They are plug and play and have great customer support.

BETATRONICS&reg, I232 Photos page for RS232 to RS232, Noise Immunity, Long Cable, High Baud Rate, DNC, send, receive, simple, isolation, Ethernet, network, RS-232, fast, E232, CAT-5, automatic, upload, download, vendor, supplier, manufacturer, indust

They isolate the ground so there is no trouble with ground loops which is the major cause of data transmission errors. All the machines I have these on are able to communicate error free at the machines max baud rate.

Good luck.

from running back and forth from the machine with a usb stick.

Ah, yes, the venerable sneaker-net.

I've done countless RS-232 interfaces (more than the fingers I have to count on). One consideration will be your downgrade in transfer speed. Even at the machine's max baudrate, it won't be as fast as the USB or CF card. This isn't a big deal unless you're going to have large file sizes that can take several minutes to transfer. Saw a customer recently that had an 11-minute transfer. On your 0 control, you should have background-edit, so you could be loading the new file while running parts, if your memory is large enough. I'm not familiar enough with Haas to say if they have that function.

I would really be interested in that Bluetooth setup. Has anyone tried this? Looks really sweet!

My machine has a usb port, so question is- Would the bluetooth setup thru RS232 be much slower?

Back