What's new
What's new

4 axis rotary

KBW

Cast Iron
Thinking of adding a 4 axis rotary to my Haas Mini Mill to be able to machine multi sides.
What rotary's are reliable, I'm guessing Haas' will be what I go with but am open to any good brand.
Have a series of parts comming rotary would make life a lots easier.

Looking for a plug and play unit, generate my program and the Haas takes it from there, nothing I have to invent, conjure up, tweek, get by with, those are my current methodes of operation.

For the repete job in mind it needs to rotate 0, -45, 45, 90 and would not hessitate to rotate 180 for access to bottom side even if it means some milling or drilling of fixure, leaving one hole to drill and tap when part comes off, currently part takes 7 set ups.

well if you want full 4th axis control you will need the 4th axis option for programing installed in the machine in addition to the rotary head itself.... that option isnt cheap.....thats $2K for the wiring in the machine and another $5.3K for the head itself if you go with the HA5C-cnc model which is the smallest unti they make.....but then you have full control....bob

I talked to Troyke this afternoon. Their DL-6.5-B rotary table is $3500. That doesn't include a servo motor ("we'll install the customer supplied servo" was mentioned) or a cable they'll be glad to charge you $1000 for.

A Haas HRT-160 is $8395, but you deduct $2000 if you'll be controlling it through the machine's control instead of needing a stand-along controller/drive. I'm not sure if you'd still need a cable with that or not.

If buying just the table you'll need a fourth-axis drive for the servo.

This stuff isn't inexpensive when new.

cheers,
Michael

You might consider a manually acutated table.

There are two styles, push-to-index and rotate-to-index.

We use these style tables allot on two pallet verticals, mounted on top of horizontal pallets for 5 axis postioning, and verticals where positioning only is needed.

On the push-to-index type tables, the table has a plunger on the top of it, you simply take the tool in the spindle push down on the plunger, at 200 ipm or less, and it unlocks the rotary and indexes a pre-set amount or you can push it multiple times for larger index amounts. Accuracy is 15 to 30 arc seconds on this type with up to 2.5 tons of clamp force, it uses shot pin type clamping, very reliable and lasts just about forever with no backlash, about $5,700.00 for a 210mm/8" table.

On the rotate-to-index type tables, the table requires a actuator kept in the magazine, you tool change the actuator into the spindle then plug it into the table and rotate, this style uses a curvic coupling so indexing accuracy is great around 5 arc seconds and no backlash ever
and clamp force over 3 tons this style is more expensive around $12,500.00 for a 10" table.

If you have any questions please contact me.

Gary
[email protected]

Back