What's new
What's new

Fanuc 18i problem

scojen

Stainless
We have a fanuc control with and flashing bat light in the alm box on the screen we replaced all the batterys on the servo drives is their any other battery in the system that would cause this indication to be on. BTW this not the post I had in mind for my 100th post :mad:

Scott

There should also be one on the CPU. Usual warnings about leaving the power on and a current back-up as a just in case. If one of the servo batteries was the problem it should have generated a 306 battery low _ axis alarm. The batteries should be 3.6 VDC. I have gotten bad ones before, you check the voltage prior to changing them. Also a good idea to reference all the axis' prior to changing the servo batteries. When you pull the battery you will get a 300 APC alarm. Then it is simple to toggle param 1815 bit 4 to reset zero points. Once you know all the batteriers are good and the alarm persists after power down/up you may have to power up with a P-CAN to clear the alarm. I have had to do this from time to time. Hope this helps.

Dave

Dave,
Thank you, I had forgotten about the "P CAN". You mentioned referencing all the axis. Do you mean home position. I looked at param 1815 (this is a five axis machine) all the bits under the APC column register as 1 except for Y and C axis register zero. I did not toggle them to 1 as I remember that these are the only 2 axis that really need to home. I will try the "P CAN" tomorrow, right now it is running and we have a production goal to meet. So I will just leave it on until tomorrow and try that prior to the next production run.

Thanks again,

Scott

Scott, if the machine is running parts you don't need to worry about param 1815. If it ain't broke don't fix it. 1815, if toggled, will make wherever the axis is at the home position. That is why I suggested sending all axis' home prior to pulling the batteries. Most likely PCAN took care of your problem. If after the next time you power down and have a battery alarm than you need to look further.

Dave

Dave,
I pulled one of the battery packs apart and ordered the same batterys to replace the existing ones in the machine after setting up one of the packs I found that the diode was bad as a "temporary measure" I hard wired a jumper in place of the diode. :rolleyes: This pack worked well in the servo drive, but I am wondering what kind of chance I am taking by not using the diode in the pack. :eek: Any thoughts on this electronics really is not my area of expertise.
Right now the machine is up and running with the battery fault gone. Happy Day :D

Scott

the real question is what fried the diode in the first place? Never heard of frying anything in an encoder battery without a massive power spike or electrical issue. when did the alarm start? lightning strike? By all means fix it right... but what caused the diode to fry?

Ok, The encoder packs were working but had extremely low voltage, hence the reason for replacing them the pack I made up. I used the diode off the old pack and in the rush to get the machine back up. I may have destroyed the diode with the soldering iron, if this is possible, or I may have put it in backwards. I saved the diode to try on another pack. The machine control is very well protected from voltage spikes and curent surges as it has its own UPS. Question is which way does the diode go in these batteries are wired in series and the diodegoes between the two batteries does the cone end of the diode go or point to the positive side or the opposite.

Scott

Back