What's new
What's new

Uploading program to Dynapath 10 controller

Dead Nuts

Cast Iron
I have been programming this controller manually for the past couple of months and now have about 40-50 individual routines within the memory. I use a chunk of about 25-100 lines to seperate them. I actually use them all and need to keep them on the machine, but I also will need to upload a large program soon.

Before I overwrite my existing code, I wanted to double check with someone that knows this controller. I built a serial cable to connect to my PC. I have successfully downloaded all the code from the machine to a text file on the PC using Windows Hyperterminal. To download, I just set HT to capture everything to a file then start the download from the machine (1989 Lagunmatic). This works well so I am confident that I have all the code saved.

Now my question is, what can I expect when I upload to the machine? I have not tried that yet because I am afraid of destroying all my programs. Do I go into Hyperterminal and choose to "send file" then select the text file? There does not seem to be any other way to send information out, I was just concerned if it will work since the controller does not store "files", just lines of code (1-9999). Also, If I were to write some fresh code using a block of unused space (say lines 7000-8000) and then upload just lines 7000-8000, will it place that new code within the unused space and leave all the other code intact? Or will it erase everything except lines 7000-8000?

I eventually want to do more programming from my PC and also try out some CAM software. I just want to make sure that I can easily upload to the machine with confidence.

Finally, I don't mind using Hyperterminal if it will also work for uploading, but if you know of some freeware software that can do it better I'd like to know.

Thanks,
Glenn

I am not familiar with that machine, but Hyperterminal is not the best, actually the program that was shipped with Win3.1 was better called Terminal, it runs under later windows versions.
But Cadem has a freebee for DNC http://www.cadem.com/ncnet/freednc.htm
They also list the different protocols for various machines.
M.

I have a dyanpath delta 20 and I run on DNC a lot. It doesn't remove any of my programs in the control when I run that way. I don't know much about the delta 10 but it coulnd't be much different.

I finally got it working. With either program I was able to receive code from the machine, but not send code. After trying a lot of different settings, I was about to give up when it finally worked. Any baud rate from 300-1200 would work, but handshaking needed to be set to 'none' to send code. I had used the default setting 'hardware' and it received code fine. The manaul did not say anything about handshaking settings. So now I set it to 7E1N and it is working good.

I can upload a block of code lines without it affecting other code on the machine.

Why this was so important is that there is no battery backup. If power is turned off all the memory is lost. I did see there is a plug on the back of controller for a battery, but I don't know what the voltage is supposed to be?

I am sure you have a System 10, not a Delta 10 or 20. The system 10 (earlier versions) did not have a catalog capability. All programs were stored by line number. I have 2 such controls as well as delta controls. These earlier controls used a high consumption memory(as compared to todays memory) and the battery backup was good for only about 40 min. My solution was to purchase a 102vac to 12vdc (1 amp) transformer(about $20.00, looks like cell phone charger lol)
and connect it to the external battery connector at the back of the control. The battery backup was 12v dc. As long as you don't lose your ac you will be okay, and can turn control off. For Emergency backup, for those who didn't save thier programs to computer, users would connect a marine battery for long term memory support. hope this helps.
AL

Back