What's new
What's new

Anyone seen this new Sharp mini mill thats available?? SVL2416

TOOL CHANGE TIME (TOOL TO TOOL): 8 SEC?

I didn't think it was possible to be slower than an old Haas.

It's funny that the Fanuc version cost more than the Siemens.

TOOL CHANGE TIME (TOOL TO TOOL): 8 SEC?

I didn't think it was possible to be slower than an old Haas.

It's funny that the Fanuc version cost more than the Siemens.

Especially since the fanuc has less memory, less look ahead and the fanuc machine has a bit less hp. I didn't notice the tool change time.

Chainfeed,
You had me with "Mini mill" I was thinking of something with a 12 X 8 travel. Could not imagine why a machine that size would need almost 2000 IPM rapids?!? Way more machine than I would need in a minimill.

Chevalier has a QP-1620 or a QP-2026 model available to the US Market. Tool change time is 1.8 sec T-T. Rapids are 1891 ipm on the 1620. Great bang for the buck.

Another neat feature of the machine is "COOLANT FUN" Not really sure what that entails though...

Well, as they stated that this mill is for "FUN MANUFACTURING", it must be OK. :)
"Gun manufacturing" and "coolant gun" makes more sense and the key is in vicinity (on my keyboard).

Nick

After all these year bashing Haas' machines because they have linear ways, many of these manufacturers are now going to linear ways. If you can't beat them, join them, eh?

After all these year bashing Haas' machines because they have linear ways, many of these manufacturers are now going to linear ways. If you can't beat them, join them, eh?

It aint apples to apples. The size of the ways on a Haas are considerably smaller than the ways on a higher end foreign machine.

Actually a lot of MTB are going to linear roller ways. More rigid than regular roller guides and faster than box ways.

They were indeed less money
I have a Super mini. Paid I think $55k after the options I have. I think the base price was about $42k

Most builders have been doing linear guides for quite awhile. Linear guides got a bad rap years ago because of the overall flimsiness of Fadal and Haas machines. As time goes by, more people realize that it's the rest of the machine construction that's the problem, not the way system. You can take a linear guide Mori NV5000, and it will embarrass any box way Fadal.

Most builders have been doing linear guides for quite awhile. Linear guides got a bad rap years ago because of the overall flimsiness of Fadal and Haas machines. As time goes by, more people realize that it's the rest of the machine construction that's the problem, not the way system. You can take a linear guide Mori NV5000, and it will embarrass any box way Fadal.

No doubt there are differences among machine builders & machine models, typically the more expensive ones are better/more sturdily built than the less expensive ones, even if they use a similar design.

However, the fact that some machine builders have promoted box ways as being superior to linear ways (or any other feature, for that matter) is what makes it seem funny when they later go to the design they previously derided.

The Japanese mills have had linear ways for a long time. Most any Mori, Mazak, or Okuma mill will have linear guides. Okuma lathes are box way, but Mazak is linear. Not sure about Mori.

Linear guides do not make a machine flimsy. A flimsy frame makes a machine flimsy.

Some Japanese machine use roller ways, others are just plain balls. But the guides are bigger, they use more of them, and they have bigger ball screws that are usually stretched.

I think for that kind of money I would buy something like a Hardinge GX710, a Haas, or several others. These look like they took the good part of the Sharp (box ways) and tossed it out but kept the bad (slow tool changes). I also don't know what to think about the 15K spindle, that normally takes some real dollars to make one that fast that will stay together for very long - just look at what Haas had to do with their DT machines. Cut spindle speed from 15K to 12K to get them through the warranty period.

Haas uses linear ball guides... most inexpensive guide on the market. Many quality manufacturers use linear cross roller guide ways. Big difference.

They had a good thing with the 2412's around 40Kish, it was a nice entry machine at an affordable price where the next option was another 20K+. When you jump into the 60K plus range there's no point playing with rebranded obscure brands(that will probably be changed to something from some other builder sooner than later so where does that leave you with service eh?)
Add in difference in depreciation vs haas and a few others, just doesn't seem like a good deal. Of course most other brands went up a good bit too but still.

I guess there's nothing left in the 40K entry machine market eh?
and they say there's no inflation...

Back