What's new
What's new

Fanuc 21iT on Hitachi Seiki tS15 Format Compact Flash Card Error

Hitachi TS15

Plastic
Hello,
I'm trying to do a SRAM back up using a Sandisk 128MB Compact Flash card and a New Transcend Compact Flash Adapter on my Hitachi Seiki TS15 lathe.

I'm getting the following message: "NMI Occurred. Please Power Off" and a bunch of numbers under that message.

NMI ERROR.jpg

CF_Card.jpg

This is the first back up I've tried to do since I got the Lathe about 20 days ago.

I previously tried a 2GB and 8GB(I know 8GB is too big) Compact flash Cards with the same Adapter and got the same results.

Any Suggestions?

I don't want to loose those parameters!

Thank you,
Stuart

Hello,
I'm trying to do a SRAM back up using a Sandisk 128MB Compact Flash card and a New Transcend Compact Flash Adapter on my Hitachi Seiki TS15 lathe.

Not having any idea how old/new your machine is, I'd say try a smaller card. The biggest card we have laying around is 64 meg. I don't think we can use anything larger than 64 meg in our 18i machines.

The machine is from 1999. I have a Sandisk 32mb pcmcia ata card on order and will get a SRAM card if the Sandisk 32mb doesn’t work. I left a letter off the Fanuc controller model number, it is a 21iTA.

The 32mb pcmcia ata card was a bust. Same results. I found a fanuc maintenance manual that indicated that NMI errors were related to hardware or software failure. I’m going to look over all cable and card interfaces carefully while not loosing the battery backup.

The 32mb pcmcia ata card was a bust. Same results. I found a fanuc maintenance manual that indicated that NMI errors were related to hardware or software failure. I’m going to look over all cable and card interfaces carefully while not loosing the battery backup.
Did you ever get this resolved? I’m running into the exact same problem. The machine asks me to format my memory card, but then hangs with the same error in your first photo when I try to format.

Can you format it on another CNC machine?
Something around a 16i or 18i model A or B would be the same generation.

I have seen crazy random NMI alarms caused when the interface card for the SLBUS was getting voltage spikes.

Can you format it on another CNC machine?
Something around a 16i or 18i model A or B would be the same generation.

I have seen crazy random NMI alarms caused when the interface card for the SLBUS was getting voltage spikes.
I cannot. We only have the one. It’s an 18i-T controller. Model A I believe.

Unless you had the milling option, it would be a 21i series.
Is it a Japan made machine or Tong-Tai ?

The 'real' made in Japan machines were only the early production.
They would have very early software that cannot use large memory cards.

If you go to the Send-Receive screen, put in a card, wait 20 sec, does it say 'CARD' at the top corner?

Is your FANUC Boot menu older than 60M3-10 ??
Those old versions were SRAM only for the cards.

Attachments

• Sigma16&18&21 NC Boot System Software Update Procedure.pdf
    53.1 KB · Views: 4
Unless you had the milling option, it would be a 21i series.
Is it a Japan made machine or Tong-Tai ?

The 'real' made in Japan machines were only the early production.
They would have very early software that cannot use large memory cards.

If you go to the Send-Receive screen, put in a card, wait 20 sec, does it say 'CARD' at the top corner?
Sorry, but of a misunderstanding here I think. I’m not the OP, I just necroposted on this since it seems to be a fairly rare issue that I’m having. Or maybe such a simple one that it doesn’t need to be posted lol. My machine is a 1998 Ikegai TU30 with an 18i-T on it. I have found where the machine is supposed to show the card directory, but the soft key to select the card instead of the machine memory is blank. I’m assuming “CARD” would show up if the controller could read the card, but nothing shows.

If I take out the card from the controller and try to format it says “memory card does not exist.” When I try to format with the card in the controller, it gives me the error.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 4
  • 3C99916B-EED0-4DEF-A1EC-D8A13B52BDEE.jpeg
    3C99916B-EED0-4DEF-A1EC-D8A13B52BDEE.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 4
Is your FANUC Boot menu older than 60M3-10 ??
Those old versions were SRAM only for the cards.
Yes it is 60M3-08. I attached some photos to my last reply

Hmm interesting. When I put the card into a PC originally it had a few programs on it. It came with the machine from another branch of the company I work for, so I assumed someone had had some success with the thing.

I guess if I need to buy an SRAM card in order to do the software update. I may as well just use it to load my programs instead of risking bricking the controller, no? Is there an advantage to having the newer software? I have noticed it doesn’t seem to have a graphics option, even though there is a setting/graph button. Would the update include that?

Last edited:
This is the Boot software that needs an update.
Think of it as the 'BIOS' software from a 80s computer.

It is needed for the control to see the ATA type card.
Not likely to add any additional functions beside that and the new FANUC option locking software.

It might be easier to use a SRAM card with a matching age computer. DOS ONLY !!

This is the Boot software that needs an update.
Think of it as the 'BIOS' software from a 80s computer.

It is needed for the control to see the ATA type card.
Not likely to add any additional functions beside that and the new FANUC option locking software.

It might be easier to use a SRAM card with a matching age computer. DOS ONLY !!
Ahh, I see. Good thing I have an old pentium machine kicking around my house somewhere! 😂😂

Yea, I have 2 old laptops with the MS PC-CARD software on them for the old machinery.
Really hard to find the cards now. More rare than Betamax tapes now.

Yea, I have 2 old laptops with the MS PC-CARD software on them for the old machinery.
Really hard to find the cards now. More rare than Betamax tapes now.
Apparently cnc-specialty-store.com has some for just a few bucks..

Attachments

• 9C92F759-7CBB-4135-A4DA-2E999992E47F.png
    9C92F759-7CBB-4135-A4DA-2E999992E47F.png
    636.3 KB · Views: 6
Please come back and report your findings.

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
I’m not going to buy one unless I absolutely have to. MDI programming will have to do for now. We aren’t using it for anything complicated enough that mastercam is necessary.

Back