What's new
What's new

" Tolerance +/-.025 U.O.S." Not familar with term

SIM

Titanium
Have a drawing in metric with a Block Call Out of "+/- .025 U.O.S."

Is that the same as our +/- .0098? (+/-.01)

Thanks...easier to ask this question here, then ask the customer.

My customer doesn't need any help from me in figuring out I ain't the brightest tool in the shed.

Is that the same as our +/- .0098? (+/-.01)

Thanks...easier to ask this question here, then ask the customer.

My customer doesn't need any help from me in figuring out I ain't the brightest tool in the shed.
I think if I were your customer, I might want to know that. Check your calculator. If 25 mm is about an inch, then 25 thousandths of a millimeter is about one-thousandth of an inch. U.O.S. is Unless Otherwise Stated.

Frankly SIM, if your customer wants .025 UOS in metric, then they might not be the sharpest tool in the shed.
Most especially if the UOS doesn't specify size.

So far every metric ( ISO ) print I've seen, they've had UOS callouts separated in increments.
That is to say as an example:
up-to 10mm - +/-.1
up-to 30mm - +/-.15
up-to 100mm - +/-.2
up-to 300mm - +/-.3
over 1000mm - +/-.8

So far every metric ( ISO ) print I've seen, they've had UOS callouts separated in increments.
That is to say as an example:
up-to 10mm - +/-.1
up-to 30mm - +/-.15
up-to 100mm - +/-.2
up-to 300mm - +/-.3
over 1000mm - +/-.8

Exactly this. It would normally have a table at the bottom of the print or a general tolerance of H7 or whatever else they are looking for unless otherwise stated. But it looks like in your instance it is +- 0.25 across the entire part unless any other tolerance is stated on a size which in my opinion is bad practice for a print.

everyone does their Unspecified tolerances differently. The most common I've seen goes by decimal place like .0 = +/-.03, .00 = +/-.015, .000 = +/-.005 or some variation of that. One time I've seen a print where the tolerances were based on the size of the dimension but that was just one company. Back on topic, if its a metric print then .025 means .0098, usually they'll let you round it up. Keep them within +/-.007 and you shouldn't have any trouble.

Thank you.
U.O.S. Unless Otherwise Specified...thats pretty much what I figured.
But knowing how the unit is supposed to assemble those tolerances are wrong.

The .025 is a typo on my part, tolerance is +/- .25mm.

Thank you.
U.O.S. Unless Otherwise Specified...thats pretty much what I figured.
But knowing how the unit is supposed to assemble those tolerances are wrong.

The .025 is a typo on my part, tolerance is +/- .25mm.

That decimal place is the difference between a really silly UOS tolerance and something a little more logical. Plus and minus ten thou makes much more sense than plus and minus one thou.

--Gary

I'm not a pro machinist but I produce drawings. When there is not a abbreviation legend or the abbreviation is not understood then it is the responsibility of the drawing user to ask. If I were in your place I would ask the customer to verify the meaning of U.O.S. on that drawing. If he wants to laugh at you then let him. At least you will have things right.

Back