What's new
What's new

Fanuc 414 and 416 alarms and losing position

viper

Titanium
I am wondering if anyone here has run into these alarms and if this means my pulse coder is going out or if I may just have a loose connection? These alarms have shown up twice and both times it has lost about .120" in X. Both times the X has moved positive and I think both times the X was moving in the pos direction.

The 414 I have yet to find much info on other than an X axis error

The 416 shows an X axis pulse coder disconnect I believe.

I have tried re-homing the axis with no luck. Anything that was set before is now gone or at least needs reset to whatever I discover as the X has lost. VERY irritating. Is there a way to track this down? it has done this after many parts so it is not doing it very often. I tried loosening some cables and retightening them but no verdict on that one. I have my doubts.

Just FYI, this is on a 1991 Mori 2 axis lathe with an OT-C control.

Just did. I had a near miss with them and machine came up with a battery alarm. One battery totally shorted so I was down 1.5V or so. The machine is running when I get these errors too so not like I come in the morning and have alarms. It always starts up fine but as soon as it alarms, I lose position in X. I am wondering how I will find this little issue.

414 = whoops, something not right with axis. The 1 points to encoder signal not being read, which triggers 416 alarm. Looks like cable and/or encoder problem to me. Loose wire? Poor ground? Pinched wire? Crap in encoder? FUBAR? Not fun to run it down.

I agree with alphonso. We ran into problems like this on various machines at least once a year. 1st option to try which it sounds like you have is to check your wiring to make sure its not pinched or loose. Then replace the X-axis encoder. I don't know how your machine is but most of ours were pretty easy to get at and replace. Our encoders were usually located were the wayoil recovery was and when the drain hoses got pluged it would splash wayoil on the encoder as the axis moved towards the encoder and would cause problems. Sometimes we had to replace it or just clean the oil out of it. If this does not work a few times we had to replace the encoder cable even though it had no apparent damage.

good luck!

I only have about 50 parts to go so I think I will finish up with this job and then go through all the cables and clean some contacts. Just wish The damn Fanuc would throw me a bone like "encoder lost power", etc. This machine has the red cap Fanuc servos so they should be sealed from the world from debris. They have those multi pin plugs but I did not want to completely pull them yet since I figured the machine might totally lose position if I unplug them. I wiggled and tightened so far.

Definately check the cables,, I worked on a mid 90`s leadwell that kept tripping out with the x axis error 416,, usually only when the y axis was in a paticular spot,,the wires actually looked in very good condition but were broken inside the isulation from the constant flexing,,

I had a wire wear through at the end of the runway recently. I changed the encoder and problem still persisted at that one particular point in the prog. Found a bared wire at the end of the runway. Switched back to old encoder and it was bad. Switched back to new one and all was fine.

Acts like the bare wires took out the one encoder, but hadn't taken out the new one yet. ???

So - if your problem lies in one particular spot or line of prog - look fer wiring issues. If it is random - then you may have an encoder going south.

----------------

F/S - 355 4 bolt SBC
Ox

if your 8 segment LED on the amp is showing a "1" then it could be your fan. it has a third cable for an RPM sensor.

Back