What's new
What's new

Fanuc 6m, Spindle Overload at startup

J.Caraher

Aluminum
Hello all,

Recently replaced the spindle board on my Kitamura MCenter 2 with Fanuc 6m-b. Prior the machine would function, but freeze at a spindle speed command in the program - no alarms, "FWD" button on the NC was illuminated as if the spindle was turning. Replaced the top board and now I get the #4 LED illuminated (over load). The alarm page on the NC doesn't show a typical alarm, machine will jog, zero return, tool magazine responds to input, but since the machine is alarming I cannot do any MDI to even test the spindle.

I have the repair manual and set all the jumpers accordingly, but there are not specifics about over load (or reading just fails me).

I have proper low voltages at all the pins on the spindle board, and if I disconnect "CN5" the light goes away if that helps.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-J

Well, a header pin had pushed through the board at CN5, alarm is gone, but the machine has the same issue.

No alarms, appears nothing is wrong, stops at a spindle command in a program as if it's waiting for the spindle to start rotating.

MDI mode, command Sxxx m3, light "FWD" light illuminates on NC as if it's turning, but it doesn't. Spindle board is not energizing at the magnetic 208v contact. CN5 is supposed to have 19v, 19v, 19v blank, blank, 10v, 10v, 10v, 10v. I am getting 0v at the 19's and 5v at the 10's, but that may be because the spindle board is not energizing - fuses are all good, relays are all good :(

I was told at Fanuc my mother or IO relay board was bad, changed them and still the same issue. The spindle drive is NOS since the old one had a bad transformer, that's been replaced. So, motherboard, I/O board, spindle drive and spindle top board have all been changed and have the same results. Only thing that remained on these items has been the D/A converter chip on the spindle top board.

CH25 (spindle speed input from magnetic side) stays at about 2.4v no matter the spindle speed input, should be 8v at max spindle.

So frustrating...

What will the spindle do?

Will it orient with M19?

I had a very similar or maybe same problem on my Kitamura HMC with 6MB and the spindle drive did not have a ready signal from the spindle chiller. My spindle would orient fine with M19 though, just wouldn't do a thing, but light up the cycle start light on the panel when M3 or M4 were commanded.

I figured it out by trying to start the spindle with the chiller off and it fired right up. But if I had the chiller on and running the spindle drive wasn't getting a condition met.

My electrical diagrams showed nothing going between the chiller and spindle drive, but it's there.

Thanks Garwood.

The orientation board is currently bypassed with the jumpers (the option board), just in case that was an issue, so it won't orient. I will put it back in today and see, but before I took it out, it would not orient. The spindle never rotates. Weird thing is, though, with the orientation board out, it mimics a tool change when running a program - I have no holders in it for the diagnostics, just been manually clamping an empty holder when testing. When running a program, it gets to the spindle speed and stops. Never times out, just sits there on that block, hitting the reset button turns off the FWD light/button as if it were running.

I don't think I have a spindle chiller, only a hydraulics box/radiator looking thing at the back.

Not sure what's up with this thing, it's an excellent machine when running too :(

Unfortunately the 6M is not very good at telling you what it lacks to proceed. I think Garwoods point is right on the money. There is something it wants to confirm, D-Bar clamp, Tool Changer in position, ect ect. A fine tooth comb and the X bits in your Diagnostics are your only clues.

With the orientation board in, it lights up "excessive phase sequence" LED on the spindle drive.

Thanks ifixcnc, now that you mention it, the "2nd limit switch" green light is on the NC at power up.

Anyone have a list of the diag codes? Fanuc is great, but very time consuming over the phone. I have the B-54045E/02 manual, and a schematic of the spindle top board, but no other literature for it (aside from the Kitamura three skinny manuals).

Thanks,

-J

Is this machine new to you or was it working fine recently then this just happened?

I have been working with this machine for almost a decade - programming and making small run parts with it being in another shop, recently moved to my own shop though. A friend/boss owned it, passed away and shortly after the machine went down. Instead of repairing it the business partner upgraded to a 1995 Kitamura and I purchased this one as is. It was working fine for him, then just wouldn't run one morning.

So, it's "new to me", but not really. In the last decade I know the machine, and it was kept very well.

Hopefully I have a chance to call Fanuc today and go over the diag.

Back