What's new
What's new

Fanuc 6TB control RS 232 help!

twr

Hot Rolled
Hi the problem i am having is with a 1983 Mori Seiki lathe Fanuc 6TB: I can't receive a program from the computer to the fanuc control and the EDIT at the bottom of the screen just flashes. When sending a program to the control, with the key lock turn off. I type the program number push the read button on the control it dims some of the leds on the RS232 tester for a second but no RTS or CTS led lights come on. I can send a program from the machine to the computer and the led lights RTS and CTS both come on when sending. I am using a cable that was tested on my mill fanuc Om and it works fine. I am in EDIT mode and the program lock key is turned off. I have the chuck closed and chuck key is set to inside and seems to work because if chuck is open the spindle will not run. I checked this in case its a interlock of some sort. I also went into Diagnostic and i can see a number change when i push the READ button. I am using Cimco edit to send and receive. I must have a parameter or a setting wrong or RS 232 chip any ideas that could help?

Is this machine new to you? Have you been able to load a program into the control previously?
Does it have a tape reader?
Try pressing the "INPUT" button if it has one.

Last edited:
Yes its new to me, they did have a cable in the RS232 port when I pick it up but who knows if they had it working. Yes it has a tape reader and under the tape reader on the outside of the machine it has a RS232 port and a blue Honda connector that look to be factory installed.

Sound like the send / receive chips are bad. Cable must be OK as it works else where. The dimming of the tester leds sounds bad. The parameters should be OK too, as you can communicate in one direction.

That's what I was thinking Bad receive chip because I can send to the computer. I assume they are mounted on the master board? I wonder if they just get pushed into the board? Also I am not sure which ones they are?

Sound like the send / receive chips are bad. Cable must be OK as it works else where. The dimming of the tester leds sounds bad. The parameters should be OK too, as you can communicate in one direction.

.....I assume they are mounted on the master board? I wonder if they just get pushed into the board? Also I am not sure which ones they are?

If you decide it is the chip, here is what I recall. I no longer have access to a Fanuc 6 equipped machine nor any documents so proceed carefully.....

On the master board. Find the connector on it that is for RS232. Near the connector should be a chip marked (IIRC)with a couple letters then 16550 on it. The letters differ depending on the manufacturer. That is the RS-232 chip. Unless it has been replaced before it will be soldered in. Whenever I've had to replace one (last time was 20+ years ago), I install a socket, then insert the chip. Easier to replace in future.

Kevin thanks for all the info!! After reading what's happening does that sound like what maybe wrong? Also if that's what wrong do I just remove and replace the chip or is their anything else I have to do?

The fact that the indicators on your RS232 tester dim seems like a pretty good indication that the chip has issues. A failed chip is pretty rare. I only think I've repaired that like 3 times. In most cases I think it was a result of running an un-shielded communication cable adjacent to a fluorescent light fixture or high voltage power line. All I ever did was replace the chip.

Once you figure out which connector, take a close-up picture of that area of the board and post it. It may help me remember details about the job.

Last edited:
Hello twr,
I can't lay my hands on my notes to confirm, but as I recall the FS6 control has two chips on the main board ending with 188/189; they are send/receive respectively. Accordingly, also look for chips bearing these numbers. As vancbiker suggests, when replacing these chips, install sockets to hold the new chips.

Regards,

Bill

Bill or Kevin could those chips be the same ones that are used in a Fanuc OM control part number wise? If so could they be [75188 and 75189 and MC1488 and MC1489 are Motorola numbers] I found these part numbers from a thread on here?

Did you trace the cable from the RS232 (DB25) connector back to the control boards? IIRC the ribbon cable you show in the pics is just for the built-in tape reader, but without a 6M maintenance manual to refer to, I'm just not sure.

I'm pretty sure the 75188 chip is the correct number for the transmit side. Since you can receive OK, you should not have to do anything with the 75189.

Kevin I am sure that ribbon cable is the only cable going to the master board. Their is 2 cables from the tape reader to the back of the little board / back of the RS232 and Honda connector. Then the ribbon cable to the master board. Also if I have to replace one, I will replace both and install 2 sockets as you said before!!! As I plan on keeping the lathe for awhile. Damm you can really learn a lot from you guys!!!

Last edited:
Kevin or Bill i changed both chips with MC1488 and MC1489 with new sockets and same thing i can send from the control to PC but not receive from PC to machine the EDIT on the screen keep blinking. If there was a cable problem by chance i wouldn't be able to send either? I am using a 3 wire cable that work on my mill Fanuc OM. Also is their and parameters i may have miss setting for a fanuc 6tb? Any others ideas?

Kevin or Bill i changed both chips with MC1488 and MC1489 with new sockets and same thing i can send from the control to PC but not receive from PC to machine the EDIT on the screen keep blinking. If there was a cable problem by chance i wouldn't be able to send either? I am using a 3 wire cable that work on my mill Fanuc OM. Also is their and parameters i may have miss setting for a fanuc 6tb? Any others ideas?

Hello twr,
I looked at the pictures in your previous email and settings look OK. You must have the Baud Rate set correctly at the PC (9600 - correct?) otherwise you would see a Framing Error being raised.

The cable configuration should be as follows:

Machine Side---------------------------PC Side
DB25 Male------------------DB25 Female-------DB9 Female

1---Shield Trace-------- Not Connected----- Not Connected
2-----------------------------3-----------------------2
3-----------------------------2-----------------------3
| Bridged

|
8 All Bridged
|

7-----------------------------7----------------------5

Purchase a 25pin RS232 Test Plug and fit inline at machine end. They are inexpensive and will show you what is happening at the cable.

Regards,

Bill

Hi Bill the cable is setup as you posted. I have a test LED plug and when i send from the fanuc to the computer RTS and CTS Leds light up plus 3 other Leds and the file goes onto the computer, when i send the file from the computer to the fanuc i have 3 leds on but RTS and CTS Leds DO NOT light up that's why i changed the chips, i changed both to sockets so if i ever have a problem i just pull them out and replace them. So something else is wrong.

Hi Bill the cable is setup as you posted. I have a test LED plug and when i send from the fanuc to the computer RTS and CTS Leds light up plus 3 other Leds and the file goes onto the computer, when i send the file from the computer to the fanuc i have 3 leds on but RTS and CTS Leds DO NOT light up that's why i changed the chips, i changed both to sockets so if i ever have a problem i just pull them out and replace them. So something else is wrong.
Hi twr,
Have you tested the PC with another machine? If you have two Serial Ports on the PC, you can make a short Loop-back Null Modem cable to connect between the two, then start two iterations of the Communication Software, one configured to use one Serial Port, the other to use the alternate Serial Ports and see if you can send and receive between the two iterations of the Software.

Regards,

Bill

Bill No i have not tried the pc on my other machine but that's what i will try next or try the computer hooked to the mill that works and hook it to the lathe and see if i can send a file!!! Thanks for the idea. If their was a problem with the serial port on the computer is it possible that i could receive a file but not send a file?

Back