What's new
What's new

Fanuc FAPT help

fuquamatt

Aluminum
I have a Daewoo Puma 6 with Fanuc10FT symbolic FAPT. I am trying to make a simple part with the FAPT system and I am not for sure were you input the work coordinates into the FAPT questions. In the examples that I have from the book the home position, index position, and the machining start point are all suppose to have the same coordinates. This does not make since to me because that is not where my part is relative to the machines coordinates. And the machine does not move to my part. I have also used the face of my part on the z axis as the machining start point and the machine moves past the face closer to the chuck. Am I messing up when programming with the FAPT or is something else not set up right? Thanks for any help.

I have a lot of experience with FAPT, but its been a few years.
program zero should be set on the NC side of the control, on your workshift page.
In Fapt, you draw/machine your part to you drawing specs, and FAPT will make the code (register command?) and put it in the memory on the NC side of the control. If you draw a line from 0,0 to 0,3", then face that line, you should get code that goes to Z zero, x 3.2?? and faces, at the location you have your workshift set. Try that.
I trained a handful of people and the concept of "dividing direction" gave some fits, and it will affect your toolpath, so think of it as "how I want to approach/depart".
IIRC, you can make your z zero at the back of the chuck, on the Fapt side, so be mindful of how you start your drawing.
Anyway, try it out and post any questions, and I will do the best I can to help. The Fapt on my old Mori is long since dead and I miss it......

So I tried setting my z zero at the face of the part and I believe that I am getting closer. It is cutting about 2-3 from the face of the part. I think I am messing up with the dividing direction. I will study the manual some more tonight and see what happens tomorrow.

for facing, in the above example, with the point blinking at the 3" and 0, you want arrow pointing up, and the point at 0,0 pointing toward tailstock.

Ok I am still very confused on how to set home position and offset position so that the machine moves to my part. Is there any examples out there that anyone has? I have found a few and followed the book but am still confused. I might be over thinking everything.

Part offset is set with your G54 on the Gcode side of the control just like you would with any Fanuc lathe. As far as "home position" goes i usually ignore that part of the FAPT. With that being set we have a lot of room as its on a big SL75 lathe. Curious as to how you are setting your tools. Do you have a tool eye on this lathe?

I finally figured it out. My tool offsets where incorrect on the z. I am going to have to redo my tool offsets. This is my first cnc lathe and I set my offsets up the way the previous shop had them set up, with big -z values on the offset.

Back