What's new
What's new

FANUC M6 control on a mill...

Solar71

Titanium
Hi all...
We have a mill from 1982, its got this M6 controler that is Fanuc ... Is this ok ?
Or ancient ? Does it have the same capabilities of other, newer controlers ? or is it a fossil ?

thanks

I agree with Mike to an extent. Back in the '80s I don't recall feeling too prohibited by a 6M either.
But today... :mad:
I try not to keep too many hammers nearby.. ;)

Bottom line, you're learning new stuff. Go with it and have fun. Cover all your bases and learn the basics. It only goes up from there.. :D

thanks you guys...
so its not too bad...
good to hear

>> I try not to keep too many hammers nearby

What, you don't like me?

Oh, wait - you're in CA, too... so I must not be that bad! :D

OK, kidding aside - Solar71, DON'T do this now (you are still learning how to use one), but in the future, if the iron on that machine is still good, but it's not a "mission critical" machine, it might be worthwhile to do a retrofit on it - even if you end up spending some of your own time doing it. It's very educational to actually build a control from scratch, do the servo tuning, etc - you will learn what makes the machines tick, from the inside out.

Just remember Solar71:

They built Hoover Dam without computers, fought WWII without CNC machines, and machined some of the parts that put men on the moon using controls designed long before the 6M existed.

My opinion - there's more than enough power there to get you making chips and making money. Part of your challenge will be learning to make the most of what you have. Focus first on mastering the tools and techniques of milling, then worry about the fancy stuff.

Thanks you guys...

The retrofiting of a newer controller is something we are looking into as i type this...

But if its not needed i want to start making simple test programs for it... Like... just movement... like no drilling... just get the part to move around to where i want it... Then i will work on drilling with a Z offset of 2 inches and no matterial, and just see how it works... then i will try making something...

Like i said before this will be mostly...

drill drill drill drill , tap tap tap tap... bolt circles and other things... Nothing contoured, and complex... just trying to basicly drill the bolt holes into the parts i am turning... this would be great for me... Becasue it would make me VERY IMPORTANT to the company... And maybe i would eventually get a raise!!!! YEAH!!!! 14$ per hour, HERE i COME!!!

Solar, That control should do mill work fine. If
the machine is mechanically sound, it should
do any type of milling.

It may not be as fast & efficient as the
newer fancy riggs, but that older control should not
limit you to make quality, complex parts
if the machine is running correctly
Wayne

I still use a mazak with a 6M controller. Fine controller, still do multi surface machining with the controller. You will need a way to drip feed it. Yes it is was slower than the new technology, but guess what it is paid for and if times get slow it is not nearly as stressful since I have no payments on machines sitting idal.

The Fanuc 6 is one of my favorite controls. The MDI panel is very easy to use because it doesn't use those $%&! soft function keys on the bottom of the CRT like many newer controls do. When you push the "PRGRM" button you see the programs, when you push the "OFFSET" button you see the offets, etc. You don't have to wade through menu after menu looking for what you want.

The control is slow by today's standards, but it was ahead of its time back in 1980 when it came out. Memory is expensive, though. If you want to drip-feed files that are longer than your bubble memory board, you can connect a PC to it with a parallel "BTR" (Behind the Tape Reader) link. You can also install a variety of BTR boards that have extra memory on them. Send me an email if you're interested in the BTR stuff. We've upgraded a lot of 6s with BTR links.

Dan Fritz
[email protected]

Back