What's new
What's new

Emergency switch error on Emcoturn 320 Fanuc OTC

spope14

Stainless
Came in this morning and found that my emcoturn 320 with a fanuc OTC Comtrol has an emergency stop error going on. Checked the e-stop switch, nothin g wrong there continuity when out, none while depressed. There is a bar feed module that is never used, maybe a jumper needed there? I am also wondering on a fanuc control where the e-stop switch interrupts the power, which board or whatever. Checked fuses on the tree lines and in a couple of immediately available places, wondering if there may be more. How can I isolate the problem?

Anyone familiar with this type of error? how to over-ride and clear it?

Emco is hard to get a hold of. Friendly and helpful, but hard to get hold of.

It could also be the Hard Over travel limit switches on your axe’s. Those are often wired through the E.Stop circuit. If there prox’s you can pick up swarf on them, or if they are mechanical limit switches they can get depressed by build up and gunk.

It would be worth taking a look at those.

Regards Phil.

e-stop

Came in this morning and found that my emcoturn 320 with a fanuc OTC Comtrol has an emergency stop error going on. Checked the e-stop switch, nothin g wrong there continuity when out, none while depressed. There is a bar feed module that is never used, maybe a jumper needed there? I am also wondering on a fanuc control where the e-stop switch interrupts the power, which board or whatever. Checked fuses on the tree lines and in a couple of immediately available places, wondering if there may be more. How can I isolate the problem?

Anyone familiar with this type of error? how to over-ride and clear it?

Emco is hard to get a hold of. Friendly and helpful, but hard to get hold of.

if you have the wiring digram you would need to look up the estop circuit and find which input on the plc its going to. you could then hard trace that wire back where it's going. it's a long way around or follow the wiring diagram to other switches/devices that may tie into that input.

Hi Scott,

LOL, I replied to your PM before reading this. If there is no baefeeder attached open the cover plate on the side of the machine, there should be a jumper there from 24VDC to the E-stop input. If there is no jumper that is most likely your problem.

Believe or not I've had this exact problem at several high schools before. :D

Students pulling out the jumper.

If you can't find the jumper location in your prints post up and I will get it for you in the morning.

Take care,

Dave

Yeah, hopefully the jumper does it. I will need the diagram or "holes". I looked all over in every book, diagram, manual, forum, called - emailed emco...prayed for divine guidance and still could not find it. Had a meeting tonight and this has bothered me so much, I went back in, just getting in at 10:30 p.m.. I think the problem started before this though.

I had been troubleshooting the machine, asked a student to check the jumper. I said "check that wire there", he said "OK",, I said what holes are the wires going into, and he said "this wire? as he held it up for me..... Couldn't get mad.. he was looking sicker than Iwas when we both realized the mistake, I just said ..."Well things happen, guess we move on from here...."

I had a problem with power surges from another machine on the same line as well, checked all the fuses on the boards on the operator side of the machine in the lower cabinet, the wiring side. and four "green" fuses on the power supply box in the upper cabinet on the back side of the cabinet - the fanuc side. Other fuses? More in here I should check? I recall booting this machine up a couple of weeks ago though, long after the surges,,,,,, maybe another surge here with the ice and such though.

One side of the e-stop goes to a small panel on the operator panel. The other side....?

Is there also a "switch" for the bar feeder on the cover door that shuts things down? I recall something like this, but think it acted more like a "door switch" rather than an e-stop.

I am planning to go in after a trip tomorrow - going in in the late evening after the trip. Back all day Monday. Any help appreciated!!! The wiring diagrams are all in german, are little "snippets" of the control, and very hard to navigate in a 8 1/2 x 10 book.

The machine is amazing though, and the control a dream. It is also a foundation for the adult CNC Class I will be starting next week, though the time frame for its implementation is a few weeks off from here. I was just booting it up to set up a sample program for the class. Runs like "day One" still, and probably has less than a years worth of "real time" on it, as good as any new machine!!!!!

Thanks all the world!!!!!!!

Scott,

you got another PM last night. Pin info is in it. If you need help over the weekend PM me.

If I still lived in Ludlow VT I'd drive over and fix it berfore I did weekly tax free shopping at the Market Basket in Clarmont. :D

If you need to I'll PM/E-mail you my number and we can talk it out on the phone.

Hope this helps and good luck,

Dave

Good stuff!! You ever try Ship Yard out of Maine? had a customer years ago turn me on to that after finishing up a job. GREAT beer, one of these I'll get back around to that neck of the woods get some again. I can however get Wood Chuck draft cider around here, not bad either.

:cheers:

We'll get you up and running, give me a call if you would like to speed things up a bit. I'll do what I can.

Take care,

Dave

GOT IT. I also taped up the door for the bar feeder, and will be re-taping it with about 10 layers of duct tape about 5 feet long and held in place with JB Weld. Comedy of errors in all of this I am sure.

Shipyard is great stuff, Harpoon is kind of the local "favorite", I think it is because of all they do beyond the brewery in the area, like the spring, summer and fall BBQ's/beer fests and some donation work they do for the local area. They really became part of the area after they took over Catamount brew.

Thanks for all you do for all the people on the board, and after having six Emco manual lathes, three smaller CNC's and a 320, these machines are still the best ones in the inventory after 16 years - still going strong.

Back