What's new
What's new

Fanuc MDI program automatic erasd after running

Petro

Plastic
Hi All,
I am trying to find a parameter or setting on Fanuc controls for when a short program is put in MDI that it is not automatic erased after running. I noticed some controls have it and some do not. Though I never remember seeing any setting for it. I think it was on a 16 18, or maybe the I series controls.

Thanks for you help
Petro

www.machinetoolhelp.com

MDI program erased.

Why would you use MDI to run any kind of program, even a very short one?
Its meant for starting the spindle, change tools, etc., and its meant to run once, then disappear forever.
Anytime you actually want to cut something, write a short program in Edit, run it as many times as you want to, then Delete it.
Any other input about using MDI?
Heinz.
http://home.columbus.rr.com/hputz

Its meant for starting the spindle, change tools, etc., and its meant to run once, then disappear forever.
Anytime you actually want to cut something, write a short program in Edit, run it as many times as you want to, then Delete it.
Any other input about using MDI?
Heinz.
http://home.columbus.rr.com/hputz

I couldn't agree more. For example, I've used a program with only two lines to machine the bridge slot on acoustic guitars. While a simple MDI program would do the same thing, why risk typing something in wrong and screwing up an expensive part? Write the program like Heinz suggested and then delete it later.

Frankly, I cannot fathom why anyone would say MDI is for a run-once design and must be so. WIthout flaming anyone, My guess is that you've never used it for useful purposes then.

While I strongly agree that running a cutting program from MDI is silly at best, there are so many useful things you can do with it on the fly.
Start spindle at a specific RPM, move to some X/Y/Z position with different tools, send tools home, select the tool and by specifying the workoffset you immediately get it's absolute coords etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc
All that without ever having to retype trhe miserable steps.
Too bad Fanuck and it's dedsigners never actually used their control for the intended purposes, and making it user friendly has never even crossed their minds.
Heinz, no offense but classroom is not a toolroom. Some repetitive things are required during setups and MDI can help there in a big way.
Haas for example never erases the MDI program, and you can have it as long as you want. On my mills I have a boatload of common things in it, and all I do is put the cursor on whetever section I want and push start. Don't remember the last time I typed anything new, just used what was already in there.

As to the question, there are about 4 or 5 parameters that you need to change to make it not erase. I have been able to set mine ( OiTc ) to erase ONLY if Memory mode is selected and a cutting program is actually ran.
I even got it to not single step in MDI with open doors.
The problem is that I was too F@$%ing stupid to write down the parameters I've changed so unfortunately can't help you right off the bat.
If you got a PDF for the parameters, just search for the word MDI. Caution though, there are about 4 parameters to change so make sure you look through all MDI instances in the document otherwise you'll be thinking it isn't possible. It is!!!

Agreed. If you want to run it multiple times, just make it a program. Where I used to work, we always had a small number of programs that just stayed in the control for quick use.

I guess it depends what control you're using. If you're using a fanuc where mdi programs are erased immediately after use, then the solution is write a small program, and keep it in the control. If you have a control where it keeps it, then you can leave it there. Frankly, a control that leaves it there in the mdi is handy, but in reality it's just another stored program in the control. This is basically not a very big issue. And I also mean no offense by that.

Last edited:
Here's your answer for 18 series controls, plus some other related settings:

Parameter 3203 bit 7 set to zero for MDI not cleared by reset.

3203 bit 6 when the last block is exectuted at single blockoperation in MDI
mode; the executed block is:
0:deleted
1:not deleted

3204 bit 6 When M02, M30, or end of record (%) is executed in MDI operation
the created MDI program is:
0: erased
1: not erased

Amen to Swiss!!! Them are the ones to set.

I think in addition there is one more parameter, which tells the control to not erase MDI when switching modes.
IOW when you leave MDI for say Edit or MEM, the contents of MDI remains.

Amen to Swiss!!! Them are the ones to set.

I think in addition there is one more parameter, which tells the control to not erase MDI when switching modes.
IOW when you leave MDI for say Edit or MEM, the contents of MDI remains.

That would be parameter 3101 bit 1.

KBF When the screen or mode is changed, the contents of the key in buffer are:

0:Cleared
1:Not Cleared

I like changing this to a one.

I should also add that these parameters should be the same for the 16, 18, 180, 21, 210, 30, 31, and 32 controls. As always check to make sure I haven't made a typo.

Thanks for the posts

Thanks guys for the posts and the parameters. I often use it for maintenance purposes not for running an entire program. It is nice when I do work on machines that have that setup that way to save time when entering single commands for testing. I generally like it for backlash programs, running multiple or single tool changes for testing and performing pallet changes. Since some machines do not have macro programs set up. It just saves me time and mistakes repunching the code in, like 2nd or 3rd reference positions then a pallet change or tool change command. Its easier to just change the tool number instead of retyping all the code. Plus I do not have to go into the customers program directory to delete it and possibly make a mistake and delete a different program. That would not be good. Hasn't happened yet but you never know.

Thanks again

Petro

I kind of like having MDI not erase. If your doing multiple work offsets setup then keep a M03 S1200 for edge finder start up or g0g90g54/55 ect to check position.

The A-2100 was nice that way since you could keep as many MDI segments on the page and scroll to the one you wanted to use without having to change to another program. being able to drag and drop would be nice on Fanuc instead of fumbling through all the keys to copy/paste.

Oh, don't even get me started on the copy/paste thing, nor the search...:angry:

I don't have copy/paste on Fanuc OM, but search is not that bad.
Letter (G, M, S, F...) then down arrow searches for a first occurance of that letter, or full command (g41, s2500, f100...) + down arrow takes you to just that.
You don't have search at all, or you think it should be better?

I don't have copy/paste on Fanuc OM, but search is not that bad.
Letter (G, M, S, F...) then down arrow searches for a first occurance of that letter, or full command (g41, s2500, f100...) + down arrow takes you to just that.
You don't have search at all, or you think it should be better?

I'm wondering the same thing. What could be simpler than a search on fanuc? You can search anything.

I can't think of a single instance where I wished the MDI didn't automatically clear. I never "touch off tools" or anything like that though, so I can see where that would be handy for somebody performing that type of function.

The only time I ever need to use an MDI program more than once, (like doing a million tool calls in a row to make sure the shifter from the magazine to the ready pot is lined up right) I just put an M99 at the end of it, and it loops over and over.

Joe

On the lathe I typically bore the jaws by hand OR touch-up the jaws by hand.
Either way, the
MDI code looks like this:
O0000
G28 U0 W0
T808
G00 X2.0
S1000 M03

Now' if this was just the roughing and want to kiss it with a nice finishing tool and bore an undercut at the back, all I have to do is change the T808 to say T909 without retyping the whole misreable thing for no reason.
On the mill, I have a whole bunch more stuff there, including toolchanges, multiple spindle speeds, offset changes and moves to typically X/Y0 in that workoffset etc etc.... All is separated by M00, so a single push can change the tool, move to a specific place and turn on spindle. On the Haas MDI never erases, so they have been there forever and change only the single item as I see fit.
I guess I've just gotten used to not writing bullshit programs to do a simple task and keep it in the control. All is done in MDI. My program memory contains nothing but the operating program and some more complex fixture related common stuff like clearing a circular pocket, cleaning a new lathe jaw ( I get anal about that), face off a stock.

About the search functions, I actually meant find/replace, find/replace multiple instances, automatically replace all, text cut/paste/copy... cut to clipboard to paste into another program...

About the search functions, I actually meant find/replace, find/replace multiple instances, automatically replace all, text cut/paste/copy... cut to clipboard to paste into another program...
Now I'm with ya. Agree totally.

Wow! How did I get that little "quote" button into my quote?

Last edited:

Back