What's new
What's new

Fanuc OI Model F, Reset doesn't Reset..fixed

waynger

Aluminum
Got a new Samsung SL20E Lathe with Fanuc OI-F control.

Coming from a 1989 Mori with a Yasnac LX-3 I felt like instead of a 28 year newer control I got a 28 year older control, man that Fanuc sucked.

If your just running proven programs it works well as long as you overlook the pain in the ass upload procedure. But if your debugging new programs it was a loser, my issues included:

Reset would not reset the program pointer, have to go into edit mode to do that.
Hitting cycle start with the chuck closed, the program indexes the tool and then several lines later discovers the chuck is open. Then you are stuck with the mem-edit-reset-mem-cs instead of reset-CS

I searched all the forums and found no way to solve either of these problems using parameters. Several people did mention editing the "ladder".

I was able to download a fanuc pdf for the OI-D and this gave me the editing instructions I needed.
I then bought a compact flash mem card and a pcmcia adapter and was able to download the .lad file for backup
I also found a excel spreadsheet with with many of the addresses for the pushbutton and specific functions.

The "rungs" of the ladder have addresses from 001 net to 2000 net

Using the ladder edit on the machine I was able to locate the cycle start "X" input located at 132 NET and added a R0093.5 that acts like a open set of contacts if the chuck is not closed preventing R0107.3 from starting the program. Did a update ladder and ROM and presto! If the chuck is not closed, the machine will not start, no I did not add a alarm message so I do have to be awake enough to figure why it won't start.

Next I took the "door unlock push-button" input (R0111.6) and put it in parallel with the M30 out that triggers G0008.6(RRW REWIND AND RESET) NET 621

Now the program can be doing anything and pushing the large former door unlock pushbutton stops the spindle, stops all movement and most important of all REWINDS THE PROGRAM!

I also was able to re-config a couple other buttons to cycle the parts catcher, so far no side effects, we will see.

I now have this Fanuc where it behaves more like a 28 year old Yasnac or a modern Haas

People may ask why are you trying to start the machine with the chuck open? All I can say is when I am debugging a new program particularly when the turret is near the chuck you must be ready for anything and quite often the stress makes you do things you normally wouldn't, but they happen and simple things like pushing 5 push-buttons instead of 1 to reset the machine only make things rougher.

Normally the machine builder can make these kinds of tweaks for you. Everyone has little quirks about how they want their machine to run.

I can't believe the ladder was unlocked.

It's not the Fanuc 0iT-F that's the problem, it's the way the tool builder wrote the ladder and set the control's parameters and settings.

Back