What's new
What's new

Fanuc OM corner rounding question

Embrey

Cast Iron
My experience with any fanuc period has been about 3 days,so im new as it gets. Ive got most simple things down,and trying to figure out how to round off corners and such. From what the manual says,i need to be putting this in.
G01 X2.0 y0 ,R.25;
X4.0 y-2.0
But that throws an 053 alarm,which says two or more of i,k,and r are specified.
The book doesnt really go into what else to do here,so what needs to happen?

My experience with any fanuc period has been about 3 days,so im new as it gets. Ive got most simple things down,and trying to figure out how to round off corners and such. From what the manual says,i need to be putting this in.
G01 X2.0 y0 ,R.25;
X4.0 y-2.0
But that throws an 053 alarm,which says two or more of i,k,and r are specified.
The book doesnt really go into what else to do here,so what needs to happen?

Hello Embrey,
The above description of alarm 053 only applies to a Turning Centre control. As you have specified the control as a Model "M", and shown X and Y addresses in you listed program, its clear that you're referring to a Machining Centre control. That being so, alarm 053 indicates that the control is either not equipped with the Corner Chamfering or Rounding feature and a Comma was specified in a Block, or with a control that does have this feature, an address other than "C" or "R" was specified after the Comma. Your listed program snippet shows the correct address after the Comma, therefore, its likely that your control doesn't have the Corner Chamfering, or Rounding feature.

Regards,

Bill

Last edited:
Well then....that is not what i wanted to hear...lol. Is there anyway around that?

Well then....that is not what i wanted to hear...lol. Is there anyway around that?
Hello Embrey,
Seeing that you're just learning, I would be learning the basics and program a Corner Radius using G02/G03. You could purchase the Option, or for less money and a lot more useful and flexible, get a 2.5D CAM package.

Regards,

Bill

Hello Embrey,
Seeing that you're just learning, I would be learning the basics and program a Corner Radius using G02/G03. You could purchase the Option, or for less money and a lot more useful and flexible, get a 2.5D CAM package.

Regards,

Bill
What does the cad cam package require and cost? And what would that allow me to do exactly? Sorry,im not up on what all that is.lol!but ,basically without any if that,i can use g02/03 and would have to trig out all the intersecting points and program it all out?

What does the cad cam package require and cost? And what would that allow me to do exactly? Sorry,im not up on what all that is.lol!but ,basically without any if that,i can use g02/03 and would have to trig out all the intersecting points and program it all out?

Hello Embrey,
There are simple CAM packages on the Internet for free. Where you're at at the moment, you don't need anything fancy. A simple 2.5D package will allow you to create practically any geometrically possible profile with a depth. Even with such a package, you will be better placed in the long run to learn how to manually program a profile where trig is required. Its likely to help you trouble shoot an errant program down the track.

Regards,

Bill

Last edited:
Hello Embrey,
There are simple CAM packages on the Internet for free. Where you're at at the moment, you don't need anything fancy. A simple 2.5D package will allow you to create practically any geometrically possible profile with a depth. Even with such a package, you will better placed in the long run to learn how to manually program a profile where trig is required. Its likely to help you trouble shoot an errant program down the track.

Regards,

Bill
Well,trig is not problem. Ive done plenty of that over the years. I figured it could still be done,its just gonna be the more pain in the ass way.lol

Back