What's new
What's new

Using optional stops on Heidenhain?

Texas Tim

Aluminum
Can anyone tell me if optional stops work the same on heidenhain TNC530 as I'm used to on fanuc and other G-code based controls? I'm very new to heidenhain controls.

I know how to enter them in the program at the end of each tool, but there are two things that make me think I'm not using them correctly.

#1, once I start running a program, I can't seem to access the soft key that lets me turn optional stop on. It seems I have to start the program with it on if I want to use it. What I'm trying to accomplish is to be able to turn it on and have the machine stop after the current tool is done working, before the next tool change, and to be able to do that at any time within the cycle, like I can on a fanuc.

#2, when I do start a program with opt stop on, like during a setup piece, the machine stops after each tool like I want, but then I cant seem to restart it by just pressing cycle start again. It seems to be in some alarm state that needs to be cleared out and then restarted.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is there a different way to accomplish this on heidenhain?

Thanks,
Tim

1. When its running you WON’T be able to access the softkey to turn on/off the opitional stop or block skip. Why? Wondered myself but it’s just the way it is, don’t know why. You can put the machine is single block wait for the machine to stop and then you have access to the softkeys again.
2. What is the alarm? On every Heidenhain I have run just hit the cycle start and it runs again.

There doesn’t seem to be anything wrong with you. But depending what error you get it can be a problem with the machine/integration

Does your code look like this? Or what

TOOL CALL 1 Z S2000
M01

Thank you Hansdie, for your response. (Sorry I don't check back here more often, I'm working a lot of hours and when I do get some free time, CNC's are the last thing I want to think about.)

My code did look like yours with one exception: I had put the M01 after the last line of code for each tool, rather than right after the tool call like you did. But I tried moving them to where you had them, but got exactly the same result.

The alarm code that comes up is:
"17 NC STOP - M00, M01"

and at that point the machine won't let me do anything. Hitting CE doesn't clear the error. I asked one of the guys who's worked on these machines a while what to do, and he said to manually enter an M05. When I did that, the error did clear and I was able to start the machine again.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Tim

PS. using single block to get to the opt stop soft key certainly worked, and all I can say is, DUH! I can't believe I didnt think of that myself, LOL. Thanks again.

Just curious, what make machine is it?
That error is not a Heidenhain error but an MTB/integrator made error.
Next time you get the error push the HELP button and see if they wrote any further information.

The machine is a Dynomill made by Dynomax, which is who I work for. They make these machines themselves.

I will try the help button tommorow and see what it says.

Thanks,
Tim

Thanks for the good advice Hansdie...

When I checked the help button it told me exactly what I was doing wrong. To continue on after the M01 while the machine was in that alarm state I just had to press AND HOLD the cycle start button for a couple seconds, rather than just pressing it like I had been doing.

I guess I deserve another big DUH! for not checking the help button first. I'll certainly remember to try that in the future.

Thanks again,
Tim

Thanks for the good advice Hansdie...

When I checked the help button it told me exactly what I was doing wrong. To continue on after the M01 while the machine was in that alarm state I just had to press AND HOLD the cycle start button for a couple seconds, rather than just pressing it like I had been doing.

I guess I deserve another big DUH! for not checking the help button first. I'll certainly remember to try that in the future.

Thanks again,
Tim

Not at all!!
You deserve CuDoe's for working thru it!
Cool!
Like M0 (program stop) when needed for possible adjustment. (Fanuk).
The adjustment can't be made while the Cyle-start is flashing.
I have a redundant comand like G90 , following the M0, so that I can single block out.
Now with the cycle light off. I can make changes.

Cheers.
m1m

Back