What's new
What's new

Tailstock movement on Mori Seiki

turner13

Aluminum
Hello y'all,

My company acquired a second hand Mori Seiki CL-203 last week. The machine is only 8 years old and has only done an average of 38 hours per week since first commision.
The problem I have is slightly embarrasing, however.

There is only 12" between the chuck and the tailstock. I know the tailstock can be moved back because I can see the slide marks on the slideway. The only problem is, I don't know how to move it.
It is the tailstock body as a whole, not just the centre I need to move.
The machine came with no manuals, otherwise I would have tried to look for myself.
Can anyone help me with this please.
Any help will be much appreciated.
Many thanks,
T13.

don't know what a cl-203 is but
if it's like my mori and fortunes and many others
there is a link pin that pops up and engauges with the z-axis saddle
there will be buttons that engage it when the limits say its lined up
then wheel it around with the pulse wheel
maybe

It does have a link pin on the back of the tailstock body, and also a large groove on the turret slideway where the pin would obviously sit but I can't see how to get them to engage.
I have bought the slideway up to (somewhere near like) it should engage but when I press the button to engage it says "z axis position improper"
I have even jumped straight to my last option and tried using a well calibrated lump hammer, but still the tailstock body does not want to move.

We have a CL, but no tailstock. Are there any bolts on the base that you can loosen up? Sometimes you have to loosen the mounting bolts up and then engage the pin. The pin may or may not be there and the tailstock may be pretty well stuck if it hasn't moved in a while. There also may be a line on the turret and somewhere on the tailstock that shows the exact location to line the pin up. Good luck.

I would think a couple of bolts to hold it to the ways. My Daewoo has a pin that engages the Z axis and you can wheel it around...
I've see a couple of BIG machines with motorized t/s, but I don't think your CL is one of them.

I spoke to Mori Seiki services, even they struggled to come up with a solution.

The procedure is:

- Press the button on the control panel saying "tsjp" (tail stock joint procedure) until it flashes.
- Move the tool turret towards the tail stock body in z until it stops. This has automatically found the pin link up position.
- Press the button "tsuclmp" (tail stock un-clamp) button. The tail stock location pin then locates into the groove on the base of the tool slideway
- Move the tail stock, via the manual feed handle, to required position (in my case, to the back of the machine).
- Press the button "tsclmp" (tail stock clamp) button. Tail stock is now locked in desired position.

I can safely say I would not have figured this ourt without help.
Thank you all.

Case cosed
T13.

Back