What's new
What's new

Fanuc OT Drip Setup Help?

Kawgomoo

Cast Iron
Hi all.

I am looking for assistance setting up to Drip Feed a program to my Fanuc OT control.

With the help of others on here i have got my control talking to my PC over a serial cable and some adapters so i can send programs back and forth.

What is the next step to setting up and executing a successful Drip?

Ive never done this before, so I am a bit clueless what to do next.

Thanks!

Hi all.

I am looking for assistance setting up to Drip Feed a program to my Fanuc OT control.

With the help of others on here i have got my control talking to my PC over a serial cable and some adapters so i can send programs back and forth.

What is the next step to setting up and executing a successful Drip?

Ive never done this before, so I am a bit clueless what to do next.

Thanks!

On my Fanuc OM control I have my control set on tape, start(rapids turned down!)and the cutter moves to desired location and does it's job. Just curious are you just trying to send a program via RS232 cable or a long program that needs dnc(drip feed)from your computer. I have a small box at the machine I drip feed long programs with. Forget the brand but if you pm me I can tell you when I get back to the shop. There is several brands out there. Let us know your progress.

A dedicated laptop and Predator DNC is all we use. Doesn't need to be any sweet laptop just a dedicated one, really doesn't even "NEED" to be that, it just makes it easier so you don't have to set it up each time you unplug it. Predator DNC will walk you through the set up of the laptop once you download the free software.

R

What you need to do to drip feed is partially determined by your machine builder. The control needs to be in the Tape mode to drip feed. The method, or even the ability, to select the Tape mode is determined by the machine builder. Most builders include it on the mode select switch. Some builders have chosen to assign it to a softkey on the display. When that is done, it is sometimes labeled DNC.

And some builders give you all the hardware and make you you pay for the drip feed ability.
My NTC vmc with Omb control will transfer programs back and forth without a problem.
Drip feed wasn't purchased by previous owner of the machine.

And some builders give you all the hardware and make you you pay for the drip feed ability.
My NTC vmc with Omb control will transfer programs back and forth without a problem.
Drip feed wasn't purchased by previous owner of the machine.

There is a very high probability that a Keep Relay (Fanuc-speak for a PMC (Ladder) parameter) change is all that is needed to activate the ability to select Tape mode. All of the Fanuc 0 series controls (that I've ever seen) have Tape mode (drip feed) as standard, but it is up to the machine builders discretion if or how they want to incorporate it. Since many users never need that feature, some machine builders make it "optional" as a means to add profit.

If you know how to read a Ladder diagram and have a paper copy of it you might find what is needed to activate Tape mode on your machine.

Last edited:
snip>
Since many users never need that feature, some machine builders make it "optional" as a means to add profit.

I don't know how that is possible with Fansucs whole 10 bits of memory LOL. But seriously we drip almost everything, but the most basic stuff like jaws or bolt hole pattern stuff like that.

R

The machine has a tape option, i believe. But the tape reader is long since gone. There are two mode select settings that refer to teh tape, but im not so sure which either mean. T in H and T in J

There is a dedicated computer for the lathe, its a desktop not a latop. I only use it for storing files on, and pushing them back and forth from the control.

20170129_140822.jpg

Thats a new one for me. I would guess Tape in Jog or Tape in Handle neither of which make sense as neither of those are read modes. The physical tape reader is a tech that is long forgotten thankfully, be glad you don't have to wrestle an actual tape reader. But Fansuc still refers to DNC mode as Tape mode.

I think my issue is a handshaking one. When i send a program to the control, if the program is too big instead of pausing and waiting for the control it just keeps sending, over running and the Fanuc throws Alarm 87.

I think my issue is a handshaking one. When i send a program to the control, if the program is too big instead of pausing and waiting for the control it just keeps sending, over running and the Fanuc throws Alarm 87.

Normal behavior and alarm, if you use the regular %on %off at the beginning and end of the program. What software are you currently using to talk to the machine?

Hello Kawgomoo,
Are you saying that the p/s087 alarm occurs when just sending a long program to the control, not just when trying to DNC to the control? If this is the case, you will have to resolve this issue before contemplating using DNC Mode.

Often it will be the case that the control will handle receiving a program into memory without error, but will raise the p/s087 alarm when running in DNC Mode. The reason for this and it generally happens when a long move that will take some time for the machine to complete is in operation, is that the Input Buffer of the machine becomes full because of the long delay in processing the large move, whereas this same data would be cleared from the buffer rapidly if being sent to memory. This error occurs more often when using Software Handshaking (Xon/Xoff) even though the cable, control parameters and external software is set correctly, due to the external device's Com Port not reacting quickly enough to the Xoff (DC3 - Ascii 19) control character. This sometimes can be fixed by modifying, or turning off the FIFO setting of the external device.

Hardware Handshaking is always more reliable than Software Handshaking when operating the machine in DNC Mode. Take a look at the setting of parameter bit 0391.6, which controls whether DC codes are used/not used. I don't have a parameter book in front of me now, so I'm not sure if this bit is to be set to "1", or "0" for Xon/Xoff (use DC Codes) Handshaking. If you don't have a parameter manual, or if this parameter is not listed in your manual (often the case), it will not hurt to invert the current setting and try transferring a long program that would normally result in a p/s087 alarm and note whether the result is better, or worse.

If you decide to go for hardware handshaking, a Full Handshake cable will be required, parameter bit 0391.6 set to Not Use DC Codes and the external device set to use RTS/CTS handshaking.

Regards,

Bill

From what i can tell i get the 87 error code whenever i send a file that is too large for the control to hold {more than about 750 lines}.

if i try to send a program to the machines memory, once i get past that line limit it throws the 87 code.

Now as far as dripping, i am also seeing the error 87 as its receiving code to the machine from the PC. I noticed when the control throws code 87 and stops receiving, the software stops trying to send.

The cable is wired for software handshaking, and i believe the machine to be configured as such. I will have to recheck those settings. But i am not terribly famaliar with how. I will post photos of what i find before i change anything.

When i put the Mode Selector in EDIT i have soft keys for PUNCH and READ. At this time if i ready the PC to send the file, the press Soft Key READ it will begin to receive code from the PC to the control until its "full" and i get code 87. No machine movement happens.

With Mode set to EDIT if i press INPUT/START it will receive code to memory until full then error 87.

Mode set to EDIT press cycle start with PC ready to send. Nothing happens.

Mode set to AUTO press cycle start with PC ready to send. Nothing happens. No soft keys for punch or read in Auto.

Also i am using NCLink software and my cable is wired according to https://www.easydnc.com/cnc-machine-parameters/fanucot.html

Thats a new one for me. I would guess Tape in Jog or Tape in Handle neither of which make sense as neither of those are read modes.

The T in H and T in J modes actually stand for Teach In Handle and Teach In Jog. The OP's machine is set up to use teach-in programming.

As Tape mode is not part of the mode select rotary switch, I'd look at the soft key operator screen (if so equipped). If not there then some wandering through the ladder will be needed to figure out how, or if, Tape mode is implemented on the machine.

I would never have guessed thats what it means.

From what im reading about. "Auto" is the rotary selection for DNC. Im not sure of the procedure to actually drip a program so im basically feeling around in the dark.

I dont know if the machine wants to do it, or if im executing or even formatting the program correctly.

I dont have any documentation for the machine, certainly no schematics or diagrams of any sort.

Ok it seems at every turn i am running up against the G127.5 thing. Being able to read but not execute DNC seems to suggest G127.5 is not set to 1.

Can anyone explain exactly how i go about checking this in the ladder? I have never made a change this deep within the machine and am unsure how to proceed.

Ok it seems at every turn i am running up against the G127.5 thing. Being able to read but not execute DNC seems to suggest G127.5 is not set to 1.

Can anyone explain exactly how i go about checking this in the ladder? I have never made a change this deep within the machine and am unsure how to proceed.

Hello Kawgomoo,
In the Diagnostic Parameters you will see the state of switches, real and software, used in the PMC Ladder. Find the G127 Byte and you will be able to see the state of bit 5. Similarly, you will find G127.5 in the Ladder and you will be able to determine what sets this bit.

Your machine was originally supplied with a hard copy of the Ladder Program, plus a listing of all the I/O used in Ladder. Once you find the Rung containing G127.5 you can look up the switches used in the rung in the I/O list of the hard copy, which normally give a description of the I/O.

It would seem that your control doesn't have a hardware Tape Mode and may be as Vancbiker suggests, be found on an Operators Screen. I've seen many examples where the G127.5 bit can be manually changed in the Diagnostic Parameters which will allow DNC to operate with the Mode Switch set to Memory (Auto). You will be able to determine this by studying the PMC Ladder program.

Regards,

Bill

i have no hard copy of the ladder, or any information pertaining to the machine, besides the machine itself. everything i know about it has been lifted piece at a time from the interwebs.

So is this what i need to change? I see G0127 is set to 00000000.

i would set this to 00100000 and i should be good?20170130_104639.jpg

i have no hard copy of the ladder, or any information pertaining to the machine, besides the machine itself. everything i know about it has been lifted piece at a time from the interwebs.

You're going to need a hardcopy of the ladder to figure out what to do to get Tape mode to work unless it is included on the Operator Menu.

You should also try to get a copy of the electrical schematic. Without a copy of the ladder and the electrical schematic, keeping an older machine running will be nearly impossible. A copy of the machine builders operation manual would be very handy too. Well worth some time and money spent to get as much info as possible if you plan on having the machine for a while.

Back