What's new
What's new

Fanuc and PCMCIA cards

SeymourDumore

Diamond
Has any of you guys had any success using an SD card adaptor on the Fanuc?
From looking at some older posts, I'm a little confused. It appears that some people had success with larger cards, while others did not.
I have the 5in1 adapter and a 1G SD card. After plugging in, I get a Memory Card Error. Not a Card missing error, nor is it a Card not formatted. Just read error.

Looked all over god's creation to find any answers as to compatibility, to no avail. This is a SanDisk 5in1, and is verified to be functional on my laptop.

Thanks

I have a 0iMc and a 0iTc
both of them are on 2006 machines. They will read 250 meg chips
They will not read 1 gig chips

Exactly how long does it take to format a memory card?
I have a 256M SD card in there for 2hours 10 minutes, and it's still flashing
"Formatting Memory Card"

Also, am I doing this correct. Boot up with the two leftmost buttons pressed to get to the system monitor screen, then select the Memory Card format menu?

Thanks

Had the exact trouble when i first got my Romi with the Fanuc 21i-T. Memory card (i use a 256MB compact flash card and a compact Flash/PC card adapter) would stay formatting for hours...Not correct. My trouble was cured by replacing the card reader socket on the control. The format should take just a few moments....Sounds like you are doing it correctly.
Cheers Ross

On edit: Be sure you have the peramiters set to run the card reader and not the RS232 port.....

I'm at the end of my rope with this miserable piece of crap.
Alfa, the reader did work before with the service guy's card during the installation.
So you're saying it should not take this long.
I'll unplug the thing and try it again, maybe with a different SD card too.

Thanks

When I first got my oi-mc,I tried to format my cards. I couldnt figue it out, so I called the tech at the place I bought from. He said you dont have to format cards, so I didnt, and havent had any problem with "non-formatted" cards.
If you card is too big, the control will chew on it, and never format it or read it.
Sometimes you buy a new card and your controller doesnt like it, but it works fine in your pc. You just have to get another card. I wish I knew why, I have seen it a few times.

OK, after some torturous hours on the Fanuc site, found some information on PCMCIA CF reader compatibility. The thing is, it is ONLY!!! for Compact Flash cards. No SD, Memory stick etc etc. CF only.

I think I'm spinning my wheels on this. According to the list of available ATA memory cards, there are none in manufacturing anymore, and none can be had new anymore.
This means that the card the service guy has is all but useless with Ebay being the only source.
With no mentioning of anything other than CF in Fanuc's info, this leaves us with nothing but CF.
So one more time, has anyone got a NON Compact Flash reader working on the control?

get a Sandisk ATA flash card from CDW. These work. I have not gone above 96 Meg as I have not needed to. If the control does not like the card it will flash format forever.

The reason you can't use a CF card is???

Darn things are avaliable at any electronics store and even camera shops. They are pretty cheap as i recall 256MB cost me about $18.00.

My reader only takes the PC cards so you have to have a little adapter card that makes the Compact Flash fit your PC and the Control. Think the ScanDisk adapter cost about $20.00.....

As a note, when the machine was installed the tech used his (no longer avaliable) PC memory card to demo the file transfer to and from the control and it worked fine. After he was gone i tried the FC card with adapter and that is when i had trouble..would not format and gave error when using my card. That is when i replaced the plug in the control and all has been well since.

Cheers Ross

Exactly what pmt said I have a Fanuc 15i with the same setup I use a 16 Mb card ATA Flash card by Sandisk make sure that your parameters are correct and the comm screen settings are correct.

Scott

Ross

No reason. I was reading some of the posts here and I think PBMW had mentioned that he was using an SD adapter on his controls, and I went out and got one. Besides, SD was the only thing I could find in a 256M size.
So, as an update, I went into my junkdrawer where all my previous bleeding-edge tech. stuff is lurking , and found a digital camera from the mid to late 90-s, that had a 4M CF card in it. Got the CF adapter from Staples at the whopping cost of $9.99, plugged it in and voila!!! Let there be light!!! Format done in 4 seconds, written and read from the disk eight off the bat.

SO!

Unless anyone chimes in with conflicting information, you MUST use a CF (compact flash) card adapter, or use an ATA flash memory device.
I'd prefer the CF, this way the connector on the control won't get abused too much.

Thanks guys.

On Edit:
SanDisk apparently no longer manufactures the FLASH memory cards, only the adapters to use other flash devices. This leaves you with leftover stock at best.
Here is a website where you still can get regular flash devices to work in the Fanuc:

www.synchrotech.com

P.S. A whole lotta BS could have been saved if this info were clearly available on the FANUC site.

Good point on saving the control connector, my sandisk "compactflash pc card adapter" is in the control and I dont remove it, just pop the cf card in and out of the adapter. And I keep spares on hand in case one quits.

Back