What's new
What's new

RS232 problem on the PC end

SchneiderMachine

Stainless
Yesterday I was cleaning out the program storage on the lathe, transferred all programs to the PC. Then tried to load my bar pull sub program from the PC to the lathe, no go :confused:
The wait signal is being sent but nothing else. I.E. the lathe told the PC to start sending. I didn't know what was going on so I tried sending to the mill, same outcome. This all worked the other day, I'm thinking the serial port on the PC may be toast. I think I have one laying around I can stuff in it but dang, Hate those kind of problems. :willy_nilly:
Dave

Depends on the program you are using, but loop back checker can be made by making up a dummy 9 pin serial plug that has the TX jumpered over to the RX (out to in).
The hardware handshake pins should also be jumpered.
Also a RS232 break out box is a handy tool to have around, they do not run to much.
Minder.

I use OneCNC NClink for com, and it rightly told me one day that it cannot configure the com port for Send via RS232 from my PC.

For the heck of it, I tried uninstalling that com port in device manager. Then I immediately did a scan for hardware changes, and Windows reinstalled the com port and it worked.

Now I went and bought a PCI serial card in case this fix fails to work someday, but so far, its been working when I go through this ritual once every bootup.

Most of the time I'm using the Moxa Nport wireless which creates a virtual com port but runs on ethernet. That one always works, and is also the one I make most frequent use of. That is my excuse for not installing the new hardware :D

For the heck of it I tried your method, I uninstalled the port and reinstalled it. No go, tried an old tired laptop, that works so it's the PC port. Put my rs232 mini tester on it, 3 red leds, if it's red, it's dead. BTW, the laptop has 2 green, 1 red when the tester is plugged in.
Dave

Depends what pins show red.
Most controllers use XON/XOFF, software handshake, so if you were to use a 3 wire cable with the hardware handshake jumpered out on the the controller side, it might work.
You could test this with the break out box only connected to the PC, jumper the hardware handshake and transmit a program, if you see activity on the TX (send) pin then this may do the trick, or loop back to the RX with a jumper to see if it inputs also.
If the problem in the PC is the hardware handshake I/O rather than the TX/RX pins then the 3 wire cable may be a solution.
Hardware handshake jumperd on a 9 pin is 1-4-6 & 7-8.
On a 25pin controller end it is 4-5 & 6-8-20.
Minder.

Did you re-try a program you already sent or other programs? This is the first thing to do before determining a port has gone bad. If a previous program, or perhaps a "dummy number" program made up of a few simple moves (just to test) works, and the bar pull program does not, then something other than a port is bad.

This would be my forst check for ports, the oidea that all programs BUT the bar pull program are received makes me wonder if something else besides ports is the problem. I don't have the answer, but have at least a first check idea for you.

To all,
Yes, the port is toast. It will not send at all but will receive, which is weird but not really as send and receive are 2 different pins as is the handshake pins. That is why it tells the PC to start the transmission but never sends anything out the port.
I tried Hu's thing by deleting the port and reinstalling it but it still won't work.
Old windoz 95 laptop works fine for send and receive, same programs work fine.

Now, anyone have a pci serial port card collecting dust they want to throw away??????:willy_nilly:
Dave

Is your current port hooked to the mother board by a ribbon cable to a pin set on the mother board? If so, check the board and see if there may be a com port 2 pin set on the board and switch to that. If not, check the mother board anyway, you my have "built in" com ports on the board and may juyst be able to hit a local computer shop for a ribbon cable/com port set-up to hook it up.

For a "new" board, check some independent computer repair places in your area, they always seem to have "old stuff" in their repairs piles. I hit three in my area regularly, you may be able to find a card or a lead for a new card through a small independent place (not talking staples, but say Joe computer shop type of place). They probably have something in some pile of dusty stuff out in the back room they would be glad to sell to you. Many of these independent places are owned by technical packrats who are just like us- "...never know when this may come in handy..."- I just love these guys.

If this does not pan out I suggest calling Wincycle out of Windsor VT for a "new" port board, they have so much crazy stuff there it is insane. Suggested this to a person who then fixed a comodire 64 out of their recycled computer items.

I could not believe that cable actually worked. When it fails to work anymore I'll get a serial card. So far there has not been a hiccup in data transfer but, I haven't tested all the machines yet but I'm confident it will.
One of the biggest problems I had with that cable was the drivers that were "suppose" to be on the install cd were actually, NOT THERE :willy_nilly:
Dave

I am laughing like crazy because I also fixed up a comm cable like that- using the USB and creating the com out of that.

Glad to hear of your success! This success also sent me a message though...

Hate to say this to you, but it may be time to think of this as a reprieve and get a new computer. I have seen some real deals out there with Christmas and post Christmas - a quad core Asus for example with LCD screen for $600.00 and a plain box quad for less than 400.00. Get a new one, have your current hard drive loaded to the new (or second drived). I

The computer is basically a dumb terminal, it's an old HP 533 celeron (yeehaaw)
It sits on top of the lathe and is networked to the office, all it does is shuffle programs to the machine, not much else. It was free so I'm out basically nothing. I may clone the drive so I can keep my dnc program but if I can't I'm out 100 bucks.
Dave

I am laughing like crazy because I also fixed up a comm cable like that- using the USB and creating the com out of that.

Glad to hear of your success! This success also sent me a message though...

Hate to say this to you, but it may be time to think of this as a reprieve and get a new computer. I have seen some real deals out there with Christmas and post Christmas - a quad core Asus for example with LCD screen for $600.00 and a plain box quad for less than 400.00. Get a new one, have your current hard drive loaded to the new (or second drived). I

New PCs with serial ports are becoming rare. Like floppy drives, parallel printer ports, and PS/2 keyboard and mouse interfaces, "legacy" options are removed from all but a few machines. Especially a problem if you're a network engineer who needs a serial port equipped laptop to program telecom equipment (ask me how I know). Along with that shiny new PC (you can still get select models from Dell and HP with XP Pro if so inclined), find a PCI bus serial i/o card that you like, and buy a few spares for a rainy day.

Joe

Back