What's new
What's new

Ideas on Gangtool Parting and Notching Tool holders?

Pat G

Hot Rolled
I'm adapting my Hardinge CHNC turret plate to accept Omni-turn #805 8 position 5/8" round hole tool blocks. I've got enough X travel to get 5 round holes on center in the block.

The last item I need to figure out is how to find a tool holder to mount square or flat notching and parting tool bits at 90 degrees, to mount at the end in the last round tool holes.

Anyone know of where these can be purchased reasonably, or anyone ever make their own?

Engineered Tooling Corporation (a.ka. Etco Tool) has the perfect setup for that with their "Duo-Bar" DBSMV-3524-6 holder and inserts for turning, back-turning, grooving, threading and cut-off operations.

Unfortunately, that product line is one of two on their website that just isn't working so you'd have to call them and have them fax over a sheet on it.

http://www.etcotooling.com/products.php

Give them a call at 781-788-8888

You can see a "single-sided" version of the tools I'm referring to at this URL, middle of the page:

http://www.etcotooling.com/smv_35_series.php?session_id=04dg4j3in045mst5v8fr19pj33

Thanks for the links. Pixman- I've got 1/2" and 3/8" square tools with bit inserts, I need to get a holder that will hold them at 90, then mount in the 5/8" block hole.

Murf, that would work for my cut off, and some notching as well. In fact, if I could get in far enough with it, it may do everything I need. Website makes it looks expensive... :D

Thanks for posting those pictures Murf.

What kind of lathe is that? Looks like a nice set up. What brand are those drill holders?

I'm meeting with a CNC machinist that's going to help me get going and teach me some CNC programming on his Omni-turn. He's down in Oroville, so I'll be driving down right on your side of the Buttes.

Pat

No problem Pat anytime! The lathe is an Ameritech and the controller is a Centroid. The Drill holders are made by Mari Tool - http://www.maritool.com/ (fmari --MariTool-) is his member name here on the forum, great fella and even greater holders. The holders themselves are 3/4" shank ER-20 collet holders, except for the one furthest away in the photos, that one is Collis brand. Where abouts do you reside, I'm guessing south of where I'm at?
Let me know when your passing through, maybe we can get together and both learn something (my shop is in Yuba City)!

Murf

Hi Murf-

Drove down from Trinity County, but unfortunately I had no time to visit. I met with the CNC machinist and we spent most of the day writting code and turning a few parts. I think I have enough of a handle on things now to get me started.

The good news is I got my machine online and running today. Folks told me I was nuts when I said I wanted to run a Hardinge CNC 3 phase machine off grid. Well today I did it, and it works beautifully.

Pat,

It's good to hear you got her up and running. If you need anything else, I'd be glad to help, let me know.

What do you plan on making with your machine, anything specific or just having fun?

Murf

Back