What's new
What's new

Right Angle Head Programming in Powermill

G-Mid

Plastic
We have a right angle head that Is in a 3 axis machine and the head is fixed in the x direction. We will be putting a face mill into it and will be machining the faces from the left hand side of the job so the tool will be pointing right (X+), there will also be a pocket we want to machine also.

The question is what do I need to know to be able to programme this on powermill and be able to have it run on the machine. Which way will my datum have to be in CAD and on the machine?, do I have to do anything with a post processor? How do I change it so that I can machine in G19 if that’s what I have to do. I am running on Fanuc 18i control.

Thanks if anybody could help !

This is a question for the folks at Powermill.

Some on here might chime in with what has worked for them in the past (I certainly have opinions), but ultimately we can only guess at how your post processor is configured. Most likely your post will need some updating and or tweaking based on how they think it should behave.

I had one post for Esprit that supported a right angle head without any phone calls to support or hand editing of the code, but I certainly wouldn't expect some internet stranger's post to behave the same way, even though it might.

Back