What's new
What's new

Can you outline basic steps to upload a program to Robodrill?

Question Boy

Stainless
I'm preparing to run the Robodrill (16i MB control) for the first time, and I need to figure out how to upload programs via the RS232 on the control. I'll be writing programs on the PC.

Can someone outline the hardware/software I'll need and outline the basic steps to do this?

I didn't find much info with the search tool.

QB

Hey QB

Curiously quiet here.
While I'm in no way an expert on the miserable thing, here are a few things.
Pinout of the RS232 cable:

Machine 25 pin: PC 25 pin:

1------------------------1
2------------------------3
3------------------------2
4----| |---4
5----| |---5
7------------------------7
6----| |---6
8----| |---8
20---| |---20

This means pins 4-5 and 6-8-20 respectively is tied together on both sides, but do not connect from end to end.

If you only have 1 machine, get the free version of NcNet-Lite.
Set the RS232 parameters on both sides to be the same, that info should be on your parametrers CD from Fanuck.
Start NcNet-Lite, select the program you want to send, stand on one foot and with thumb in mouth press the send button.
Go to the machine, Edit---Program---RIGHT->---Read---Exec.
If you said your daily prayers, the program should appear sometime soon.

As a sidenote, If you had a Haas, the sequence would be Select prog --> send on the PC
RECVRS232 on the machine.
And that in no particular order.

Question: Do you have the CF reader on your Robodrill? If you do then go to Staples and get a CF to PCMCIA adapter, a 256MB CF card and a USB reader for your PC. May run you somewhere $60 total. It works OK, but you have to remember that the filename should match the program name.
IOW
O0100 -- Filename
should begin with:
%
O0100 (Blah blah)
M30
%

Good luck! ( You gonna need it)

SeymourDumore,

Thanks for that. The free DNC download is priced perfectly too.

I made up a cable, configured the machine and PC, then tried different things, but no luck yet. All I get is the flashing 'LSK' on the machine screen, and the 'machine not ready' error on the PC. I hate spending the big bucks for a visit from the Fanuc tech, but I think I've reached the limit on my patience for this. He'll probably do in an hour what I've been trying to accomplish in two days of frustration.

QB

QB

Are you sure that the pins aren't connected from end to end?
The pinout I gave there is from a Fanuc document and it sure works. BUT! I first made the cable using simply jumpering the pins on a breakout box without actually switching off the connections and it did not work, got the same LSK flasing and not-ready on the PC.

SeymourDumore,

The only pins connected end to end in my cable are the ones shown in your diagram, which is the same as the diagram from NcNet with the exception of pin number one. Your diagram shows pin 1 connected end to end which is what I tried. The cable diagram from NcNet does not show pin 1 being used. Diagram here: Scroll to the bottom...
Could it be that having pin 1 connected end to end would cause a problem?

QB

I believe GAR and Dan Fritz is the resident RS232 guru here, but to my recollection Pin1 is Protective ground, therefore does not have any real relevance in data transmission.
Pins 2,3 and 7 is Send, Receive and Signal Ground respectively.
All the others are stuff like DTR/RTS/CTS etc, which is loopback in this configuration on both sides.
The Fanuc manual can be quite retarded ( along with the transmission scheme) but make double/triple sure your settings are correct.
Here is my config on the PC side:

RS232: 9600 baud, 8N2, software handshake.
CR = CR
LF = LF
No wait for XON character
Program start string is CR.

This was the default on my machine, which is an Oi but yours can certainly be set differently.

It is a real bitch to work it compared to all other controls I have, but works nonetheless.

Why mess around with RS232 and cables? Just use the PCMCIA slot.

You need one of these: PCMCIA Compact Flash Adapter

And a Compactflash Card

If your Pee Cee doesn't have a card reader, then you'll need one of these - Card Reader

You can buy this stuff just about anywhere and should be able to get it cheaper than at Best Buy. But in most areas of the country there's a Best Buy near by and you can just drive over and get all this stuff in the camera dep't.

Once equipped, your Pee Cee will look at the card as though it were a drive. Just copy or save your program to the card.

On the control set your I/O device number to "4" and once the card is mounted, you will have a soft key that is labled "Card". Push that and you will the be able to use the (OPRT) soft key to bring up the menu to UL/DL programs. Use the (FSET) soft key to set the file number of the program you want to UL, then use (OSET) to set the program number, then hit (EXEC) to start the transfer.

Swiss

Are you sure about the 1G CF card?
Mine did not like it one bit. Had to dig up a 4MB card from an ancient camera.
With the 1G all I got was a CF card error.
I've read somwhere that 256M is the max (currently) that's supported.
And yes, I'd go with the CF too. Helps not having to fight with the retarded cable poking you in the eye right up front.

Seymour,

You may be right about the card size. On a 30,31, 32 I know you can use a 2 gig card with no problems.

But I'm not sure what the limits are on older controls like the Oi and 18i. Even though they are updated they are still twenty year old controls no matter how you slice it.

Although I'm pretty sure that a 1 gig card will work on a new 18i, but it won't on an older 18T. The 16i should be about the same.

Qustion Boy,

I have 16iMB controls on my Robodrills at work.

The CF cards work beautifully. They're great for transferring programs and you can use them to DNC or Drip Feed large programs or subroutines.

It's worth spending a few bucks for the card and reader.

Will

The CF card sounds promising, but where in the heck is the PCMCIA slot? Inside the electronics cabinet? The only port on the front of my machine is the RS232.

'Preciate the suggestions.

QB

Back