What's new
What's new

Fanuc vs. Fadal

J Ward

Plastic
Hey guys, my shop is going to buy a new VMC with a Fadal control. I am only experienced with programming a Fanuc control. Can someone tell me how easy this transition is going to be? What are the main differences between these two?

It is my understanding that even with the fanuc it is interfaced to non fanuc motors and drives if that matters. My preference would be the fanuc, but it depends what variant of the fadal control is on it. I am not a fadal ownwer nor operator, but I do know that over the years they have advertised several variants.

If it is a Fadal control it's either an 88,88HS,or 32(which is an 88 with dos).

Program code for those 3 is interchangeable.

Those controllers also have a switch on what dialect of G-code you'd like to program with. One format is very close to Fanuc. It is not identical but you should have no problems at all. The other format is a Fadalified G-code. A little easier if perhaps you have never programmed G code before (it is safer, but a tad slower).

If you are comfy with fanuc, set the switch to Fanuc mode the first day you get it and don't worry about it ever again.

The differences that I can think of are very subtle. For instance, instead of G54, you will use an E1. It works the same, just stated differently.

No G43 with your H1. Just H1 and D1. D is for your diameter comp., it uses the same which I find much handier than fanuc. Sending the machine home will be a little different too. Other than that, it's just like fanuc.

Dave,
Pretty sure you can still use G54, etc.
Also G43 is usable on the fadal (not needed, but wont be a problem)

D and H, there are too many differences between fmt 1 and fmt2 so I wont risk putting my foot in my mouth.

Tapping is where you have a change. You need
S1000.2 to keep the spindle in high gear g84.2 to prepare for tapping then g84.1X*** Y*** Z*** F***
to rigid tap.

You guys must be running it in fanuc format. Because my tapping requires a Q word, I have no idea why it needs to be in a high gear range, and I don't even know what a g84.2 is. I've been rigid tapping on my fadal for 8 years now.

Also, if G54 is usable, it must be only in fanuc format. If it can be used in fadal format, then I would ask, why in the world would anyone do that?

E is a million times easier than G54,55, etc.
I'd only use it for compatability. Never would I write a fadal specific program using G54. In fact my posts all spit out Es.

In "fadal" mode, you can use E1-E48, but I think "fanuc" mode limits you to 6 or 8 G5X locations.

the Sxxxx.1 or Sxxxx.2 only lets you keep the spindle in high or low gear. Not applicable to all machines (single speed!)

And I do program exclusively in Fadal format. Want to go to fanuc, but with a zillion programs already written, changing back and forth is a crash waiting to happen.

J-Ward, The transition won't be too bad.You'll just have to get used to the menu type commands for tool offsets,fixture offsets and edit mode as well as other menu types.Real easy.You'll love it once you get used to it.

g84.2 is prep for g84.1 its for if you have to go back into the hole if peck tapping. how ever it is not needed for standard rigid tapping unless your hi speed tapping. next get used to having to use alot of g8 and g9, the mp32 tries to shortcut edges over 80ipm you will need g8. only thing is ,g8 slows the clycle down and pauses at every block. at least thats my experiance will fadal. spcebar,spacebar,spacebar.

g84.2 is prep for g84.1 its for if you have to go back into the hole if peck tapping.
Hmmm... I've never used it, and have re-tapped plenty of holes without ever cross threading. Is this only for the peck tapping?

I use the g84.2/g84.1 because thats the way I was taught.

The Sxxxx.1/Sxxxx.2 is only semi-relavent imo. Fadal makes a speedrange change at 2500/2501 rpms. So, say you are using one tool to rough and finish roughing and your rpms vary over/under this range you will save a spindle stop/restart when it changes torque ranges.

Fadal has some nice canned subroutines if you program by hand as well.

I ran fadals for about 4 years, honestly I think it is a nice control. if you are using CAM then the post will handle things. BUT when you need to manual program then the G68 axis rotation and bolt hole circle fadal stuff works really really nice

I like how the subroutines work too, and as others have said the E is nice IMHO.

The tool teaching and other shortcuts that allow you to pick 3 points in a hole with an edgefinder and set the work offset to the center of the hole is darn nice too, there is also one to set an axis to the center of two points you select in jog. Not sure of all that stuff still works when you flip the switch to "fanuc" or not ?

G8 on a fanuc is look ahead.

Is this the same on a 88HS?

I use both, but i have a good post for each machine.

Anyone know if a 88HS has part mirroring? How did you use it?

G8 is look ahead on the 88HS.
There is a Gfifty-something-dot-something that will mirror a part. I've used it with great success- just watch the G2s and G3s!!!

Back