What's new
What's new

Recommendations for repair of Kollmorgen servo power supply?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
PSR 4/5-275 power supply to be precise, from 1997 Cincinnati Falcon 200 turning center.

Erratic voltage output, need repair or replacement. Have found used PSR 4/5-220 and 250 in the past via eBay but afraid I'd better stick with the 275 (last two digits are amps...75 amps)

Is this the same setup that is on the 99/00 Arrows that is problematic?

Me and a chumm have talked aboot puting a fuse inline to blow before the drives.

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I have no idea Ox...not familar with those.

The PSR unit works for the servos but for the spindle it craps out at about 800 RPM. I can tell from voltage checks it looses more voltage than it should even when running the servos, but only the spindle motor draws enough amps to put it over the edge and cause a fault that shuts down the program.

I have one but would have to check to see if it works. I got it and some other spare parts with a Cincinnati machining center I bought used some time ago. Had looked to be the same as the one in my '97 Falcon 200. What is something like this worth (working presumably)?

Siemens suports these controls now and is the only affordable source of replacment parts. That same power supply is in the Sabre/ Arrow VMC's with the 2100. Kollmorgen musta been awful cheap, because dealing direct with them has always been fruitless for me. All I get is " thats obsolete".

siemens is 800-879-8079, but don't hold your breath that they can tell you a troubleshooting procedure past " trade it out with one from another machine".

VSMI- I sent you an email about yours. Re "worth" the slightly less amperage ones sold on eBay for $250 to $500. I think the $500 was actually a brand new surplus one. Dealers that specialize in them get much more of course $900 and up.

You could try NC Servo in MI. 1 800 DCSERVO. My experiance with them on not so popular electronics repair is hit or miss, but more hit than miss. If you are at a lack for sources you can give them a call. I dont think they charge if they cant fix it but you should verify.
Ken

I use Omega EBR for my repairs
1-800-722-7323

Ask for Tommy Payne or Mark Chamberlain

Rod (I used to do field service out of their company - I don't get a 'cut' for sending you there)

VSMI...I think you called me and left a voice mail but I somehow delted it by mistake...please call back !

I use Omega EBR for my repairs
1-800-722-7323

Ask for Tommy Payne or Mark Chamberlain
FWIW, I sent the power supply to Omega and they "fixed" it...but I still had the exact same problem, which lead to at least 30 hair pulling hours of my time trying to sort out what the problem with the lathe must be, only to eventually come to the conclusion the problem had to be that the power supply wasn't actually fixed, in spite of Omega's insistance it was.

Sent it to Siemens and they fixed it right, works perfectly now, thus proving beyond any shadow of doubt that Omega botched it, and worse, wouldn't admit they botched it. According to Siemens, the 3 main thyristors that Omega installed were *wrong*, so they had to be replaced with the correct ones. Also, the soft start transformer was replaced. I suspect that transformer was the actual source of the trouble from the get go, such that my (expensive) thyristors have been replaced *twice* now for nothing !

I would speculate that the thyristors were OK, but a different part number. Siemens would replace them, if they were equivalent/better or not, just out of "policy".

I tend to agree that the transformer was the most likely "bad" component, since unless things cascaded, there was not likely more than one or at most two bad parts, at which time it stopped working.

I am surprised that the bad transformer did not cause a "sag" in the logic power supply, at the point of failure.
Oh well.

Back