What's new
What's new

Question on older Fanuc 15T

JMWorks

Aluminum
We have a Mori lathe(early 90's) with a Fanuc 15T control with FAPT. I am curious if anyone knows if this lathe takes the newer 2 line G76 format and if the other multiple repetitive cycles are programmed like the newer 0i controls?

We seem to have lost the manuals over the years and the operator only knows how to use FAPT and he doesn't know how to get it setup to run a bar puller like I would like to for a specific job so I am going to get to program it.

Thanks!

The 2 line G76 is "newer"?

I have four Fanuc T controls from 1990 (0Ta) to 2000 (18iT) and all are 2 liners.

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

The 2 line G76 is "newer"?
Ox

Perhaps my Fanuc history is wrong, but I consider it newer because the controls they dont make anymore like 10,11 and possibly 15 use a 1 line G76 and other multiple repetitive cycles were called with one line while the higher end controls like your 18i and all they make today are called by 2 lines.

To the best of my knowledge....

I Shirley wouldn't call my 2 axis 0Ta a "higher end control".

If in doubt - try it one way with air in the collet and try it.

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

You are right, the 15T uses the 1 line format for all the Canned Cycles.
On some of the cycles, there is really no improvement, on the G76 there are a couple of extra features.
I am not sure that I have an example on my website, but check anyway.
I do have all the Fanuc lathe cycles on the DVD called Cycles/Shortcuts.
What do you mean that your operator could only do Fapt?
Fapt was the Fanuc attempt at Conversational, you did not have to know any G-Code at all.
Let me know if you get stuck, write with any questions, I used to run the Fanuc classes when this control was new.
Heinz.
www.doccnc.com

What do you mean that your operator could only do Fapt?
Fapt was the Fanuc attempt at Conversational, you did not have to know any G-Code at all.
Heinz.

That is the problem, the operator doesn't know any G code, and doesn't care to learn, if it is beyond the realm of what FAPT can do efficiently he refuses to do it. Well on this particular part, we are going to do some bar pulling(utilizing sub programs) and the operator wants no part of setting that up so I get to take care of it, and I run some other newer equipment in the shop and have never touched that control so it will be a learning experience for me but I am sure we can overcome. Thanks for the insight Heinz, I will contact you with any problems.

JM,
You will like the 15series control. I have worked on many and they are probably my favorite.

Heniz,
I have wondered about the 2 line canned cycles over the last few years because when I came to this new shop I have an 18i control that uses the 2 line (not a fan). I have not had a chance to dig into the reasons behind this. I was leaning towards that it is setup with either canned cycle I or II compared to the other controls. Is this safe to ass u me? Or is it maybe that it is setup as G-code system A,B,C compared to the others. Again I have not looked into it.

I will be soon though as I have a 15 series VTL right next to it and I want to get this straightened out because I am going to make the code universal for both controls. They run the same parts and I want to use the same programs.

Stevo

Stevo:
To the best of my knowledge, the 15T uses the 1 line canned cycles.
It has nothing to do with the 3 sets of G-Codes, all of them changed to the single line at the same time, at about the time the 0 series came out.
I believe you can program the single line canned cycles on the new machines, but not the other way around. I never had a reason to actually try it, maybe you can let everyone know after you try it.
Good luck: Heinz.
www.doccnc.com

We have one of the original OTA controls. It uses the 2 line G76 cycle. The dealer rep that did the initial training was unaware of this (along with myself; ever try reading a Fanuc manual?) and did his demo program using a single line G76. It will cut a thread, but you have very little control of the DOC etc.

Stevo:
I believe you can program the single line canned cycles on the new machines, but not the other way around. I never had a reason to actually try it, maybe you can let everyone know after you try it.
Good luck: Heinz.

Only in a half baked manner. If the first G76 line is omitted the values that are stored in the corresponding parameter to the addresses programmed in that line will be used. You can set all of the values normally set via the first G76 line by presetting the corresponding parameters, but that, in my opinion, would be like having a dog and barking yourself.

In the single line version of G76, items such as included angle of the thread form is programmed using an A address; this is not available with the controls using the 2 line G76.

Regrads,

Bill

Good info.

I am not speaking directly for threading canned cycles (I actually do none). I am referring to any canned cycles boring, turning, facing. Why would Fanuc change the format of a canned cycle thru different series controls? More importantly do you have to use the 2 lines?

I don’t use a lot of canned cycles in my lathes (mostly macros) but I would like to know this as I stated before I have a 15t that runs back to back with a 18i that I want to make the same canned cycle format for.

This is only going to be temporary until I get the macros written for these cycles. This is the 5th major project on my list so I may not get to it for awhile but at a minimum I want to get some consistency in this cell until I can ditch the canned cycles.

Heinz…If I get some time and give it a go I will let you know what I come up with. Time is just too limited right now to go tinker with it.

Stevo

Good info.

I am not speaking directly for threading canned cycles (I actually do none). I am referring to any canned cycles boring, turning, facing. Why would Fanuc change the format of a canned cycle thru different series controls? More importantly do you have to use the 2 lines?

Stevo
Stevo,
The two lines don't have to be used; the first line can be omitted. The same applies for a G71 roughing cycle as for the G76 threading cycle. The addresses U and R used in the first line of the G71 roughing cycle sets parameter #5132 and #5133 of the 18i control respectively. These parameters are non volatile and will remain until changed by the addresses in the first line, and can be preset manually.

Regards,

Bill

Back