What's new
What's new

AN fitting specs

http://www.sct-usa.com/pt5.asp

Look at the column labeled "order #"...the second from the last digit is the AN#. i.e. MS16142-10S is an AN -10

edit: Ahhhh...I made the assumption that you're looking to do the port...that link has the spec for the o-ring boss port, which many commonly refer to as "AN" but is is really the SAE J514 o-ring boss port (ORB). If you're looking for the 37 degree taper fitting specs, let me know and I'll dig that up as well.

Yes, Its the male fitting with the tapered end. I need to know the thread size and pitch, the minor OD of the non threaded area and taper length.

I don't have any specs on hand, but include JIC in your searches. JIC and AN are exactly the same thing as far as I've ever been able to find.

I don't have any specs on hand, but include JIC in your searches. JIC and AN are exactly the same thing as far as I've ever been able to find.

Watch yourself Matt...JIC has a 45 deg flare and AN fittings have a 37 deg flare. Very different fittings, and dont get the Japanese fitting mixed up as well, they look similar but are a little different as well. Call Parker on Monday and let one of thier engineers help you out.

Charles

JIC is 37 degree flare. 45° degree fittings are something all together different. i believe the sae spec for them is J516.

Charles, you can look up all the specs if you really want to verify this article, but this is essentially the same thing I've been reading about JIC vs AN fittings for years:

http://www.mechanicsupport.com/articleStronger.html

Cliff notes: Same exact specs except AN fittings have a tighter thread tolerance. Interchangeable in other-than aerospace-type applications.

I don't agree, they are way weaker. What do you want holding the hoses on your race car? A fitting that's made right or one that's 40% weaker?

But then again the only thing I make is fittings so I get kinda worked up over that stuff.

SuperDave,

I would like to know for sure about this argument over 45 vs 37 deg flare. I was working off of memory so I accept I may have been wrong but I know for a fact that AN uses a 37 deg flare, 9 years AF service as a aircraft crew chief didnt go completely to waste. However I was sure that JIC fittings had a 45 deg flare, this is what is commonly available for industrial use at the local Parker store.

I do remember years ago seeing a chart that listed the Japanese standard for a 37 deg flared fitting and it was different than our AN fitting.

As you seem to be the right person to answer these questions I would love to speak with you about it. Feel free to email me with your contact information and I will call you as this very issue has come up before. While I have modified exhisting AN fittings before I have been asked to make them but I couldnt make them cheaply enough so I never got to try.

Charles

SuperDave, what spec do Earl's, Aeroquip and the like make their fittings to? I know they're sold as AN fittings, but that could be just because the racecar world, for the most part, has no idea what a JIC fitting is.

SuperDave, what spec do Earl's, Aeroquip and the like make their fittings to? I know they're sold as AN fittings, but that could be just because the racecar world, for the most part, has no idea what a JIC fitting is.

Matt,

I am not trying to win an argument here but just so you know where my comment came from I will let you know what I thought was right. I dont have the right reference material handy at the moment so I will wait for SuperDave to come in and set us straight.

I served for 9 years in the Air Force as a aircraft crew chief and we used AN and MS fittings for everything from air, oxygen and hydraulic fittings. MS fittings are straight tube fittings with metal ferrules that require no flare. "AKA Swagelok type fittings." AN fittings had a 37 deg flare, this was pounded into us in training. They dont use the double flare like brake lines.

JIC fittings, "joint industrial council" are used in industrial machinery and hydraulic systems like bulldozers and other construction equipment. It is my understanding that they are 45 deg flare and you cannot interchange. It may be possible to look on Parkers website and see if they offer an explaination or some pictures at least in their catalogs.

As mentioned before I will wait to hear from SD as he seems to be the best person to answer this question once and for all.

Charles

Do a search on McMaster for "JIC fittings", and you'll see that the only JIC fittings they offer have the same 37º flare angle as the AN fittings do.

Matt,

You are correct, JIC is indeed a 37 deg flare, SAE is 45 deg. I did check a quick reference guide that I had buried in my toolbox and I had written a note on it that JIC was 45 deg. It appears that I have been wrong about it for years. I have only used Swagelok type fittings for the last 10 years so I am glad this discussion came up to jog my memory.

Several internet resources have some good reference on the differences between the fittings but none that I see actually has drawings with any useful specs.

I hope SD will come back with some more detailed information so we can all learn a little more.

Charles

SuperDave, do you know where the 40% reduction in strength comes from or is this an arbritary number that somewhat applies? Also on the link above, it states the root radius is decreased on the UNJF threads...I looked them up in a Sandvik catalog and the root radius is larger in comparison to standard UN 60 deg, not smaller, which would make much more sense than a sharp root for strength - which is correct? I also presume that UNJ's must be done with a thread specific insert to have the proper root radius, is this what you do?

I had a friend wanting to have me make up some -24's and -32's a while ago...kinda died out, but I did have a bit of a problem finding dimensions for these (and all fittings for that matter). I know they exist out there, just haven't spent too much time looking into it.

I have seen some really inexpensive "AN" fittings out there for the racecar crowd (well, I'm sure they are not real AN though)...I doubt if they 6 step their pipe threads, and most likely they are not UNJ 3A threads either...the price I have seen some of these wouldn't even cover the inspection costs.

SuperDave, set us straight!

Steve

SuperDave, do you know where the 40% reduction in strength comes from or is this an arbritary number that somewhat applies? Also on the link above, it states the root radius is decreased on the UNJF threads...I looked them up in a Sandvik catalog and the root radius is larger in comparison to standard UN 60 deg, not smaller, which would make much more sense than a sharp root for strength - which is correct? I also presume that UNJ's must be done with a thread specific insert to have the proper root radius, is this what you do?

I had a friend wanting to have me make up some -24's and -32's a while ago...kinda died out, but I did have a bit of a problem finding dimensions for these (and all fittings for that matter). I know they exist out there, just haven't spent too much time looking into it.

I have seen some really inexpensive "AN" fittings out there for the racecar crowd (well, I'm sure they are not real AN though)...I doubt if they 6 step their pipe threads, and most likely they are not UNJ 3A threads either...the price I have seen some of these wouldn't even cover the inspection costs.

SuperDave, set us straight!

Steve

sounds to me like you have it right. Yes, I use the proper UNJ insert to get the larger root radius. I would hope others are doing it as well. I'm sure some are not but that's on them. If you notice they do not use the AN or MS part numbers for their parts. So are they really selling them as the real deal?
I'm just a small fry local hose / fitting shop that just happens to have a few cnc lathes. I just make them to print. For a 20 dollar download you can get the info you need. The rules were set way before me so I stick with it.
As far as the 40% goes I just nabbed that from that link so take that for what it's worth. Once again I didn't set the standards. Is an aluminum AN fitting stonger then a steel JIC? I have no idea and wouldn't think so. On a sprint car the fuel pump is right between the drivers legs. I hope his parts are made correct when he wads it all up.

The parts I deal with and I don't deal with them all. The AN / JIC are all 37 degree and the SAE is all 45 degree. And some JIC and SAE have the same size nuts. lol have fun

I have not made any of the Japanese standard or the DIN standards. I would love to see the data on those. Anyone have a link handy to the seat/nose detail?

SD,

The Japanese fittings were listed in a Parker catalog, I saw it years ago when I worked for another company. I have a couple of parker books here now but they dont show the same chart I remember.

One US manufacturer who makes a line of dairy processing equipment offered me a tour of their facility. They were building several machines for Japan and they had to import all of the hardware and belts, hoses and fittings from Japan. They even claimed at the time that they had to import nails from Japan for the shipping crate or they wouldnt be accepted. As far as the fittings go I dont think we ever discussed what the differences were specificaly but they did mention they had to buy all new tooling to make the parts. I assume he ment taps or threadmills.

Charles

Sorry to dig up an ancient thread, but since nobody answered the Japanese fitting question I thought I'd chime in. The Japanese equivalent to JIC and/or AN is called JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard), is a 30 degree cone and uses BSPP threads. Oddly enough they use inch designations and sizes for them just like JIC (e.g. 3/8" and #6) I used to work for a japanese machine tool company and dealt with those fittings on a daily basis. We also used JIC on other equipment so I got pretty good at telling the 2 apart by eye.

Back