What's new
What's new

Fixture/pie jaw question............

david n

Diamond
So...I have this here part that I will be running in this set up.....................(ignore the chuck jaws. they are for a different job) ...................And yes, a set of dual station vises would be the best option, but I ain't got any and I'm not buyin' 'em for this job.

25099112767_33dd5e853a_k.jpg

I plan on running OP 1 on the left two chucks holding onto about .125". Face mill, profile, drill holes, and chamfer. OP two on the right two chucks. Deck the part to thickness and chamfer. The question I have is due to the "D" shape of the part, will just some soft jaws like I have in the pick work or should I go to pie jaws as I need to orientate the flat? The other question I have is I hardly ever hog material in these 3 jaws. I mainly use them for smallish parts with light machining. I'm wondering how much grip I will have for the profile and hoggin out the window?

39072087985_6d1f6b343a_k.jpg

TIA..............................

P1 -- Versa Grip jaws on a regular vise. These grip like a pit bull on a T-bone and you can mill as hard as you want
P2 -- soft jaws on a regular vise, which solves the orientation issue

Regards.

Mike

I want to run two parts at a time................OP 1, OP 2, and OP3 on the 4th.................two finished parts with every green button...............one at a time is a time killer....................the first time through this job was two 6" vises. I have 500 pcs to run.

K, start with flat bar instead of round and do 2x P1 on the left and 2x P2 on the right :).

But if it must be done in the 3-jaws, then you can make Versa Grip jaws that go on a 3-jaw chuck. That is how I do such parts in my CNC lathe. P2 still has the orientation issue, but I suppose you could carve soft jaws in the chucks to fit the parts.

Regards.

Mike

Flat bar wastes too much material............................might go with versa grips on the first OP.:scratchchin: Or cut soft jaws and relive them with a dovetail cutter to give me more of a knife edge. The hard jaws I have don't lend themselves to clamping on .125" of material..............

I'm more wondering how 1" wide steel soft jaws like those in the pic will orientate the flat? One jaw will be on the flat and the other two on the OD of the part? Never really use these 3 jaws for non round parts............That's why I asked about pie jaws................or maybe it would be overkill?

I'd weld a hunk of 1018 CRS on to the soft jaw aligned with the X axis to make it look like a T and mill it to orient the part. Mill the T jaw and the other 2 jaws the same way you'd mill pie jaws.

Nice base for the chucks BTW.

My vote is pie jaws. I don't think you will like the orientation ability of only a 1" wide jaw. If, however, you want to use existing jaws as shown in picture, how about cutting the jaws so that two of them are locating on the ends of the flat and the third jaw is pushing on the center of the radius?

I'd weld a hunk of 1018 CRS on to the soft jaw aligned with the X axis to make it look like a T and mill it to orient the part. Mill the T jaw and the other 2 jaws the same way you'd mill pie jaws.

Nice base for the chucks BTW.

I like that idea............I think I'll run with it.

Runnin' parts..............................I used Mud's idea..........................:cheers:

25554099557_99c52927f0_k.jpg

Bases.................yeah a long time ago. Made 'em outa ali so I wouldn't kill my back humpin' 'em in and outa the machine.

Looks great David!

Be careful loading op2, as it's possible for the jaw flat to catch the part near the end of the flat, rather than along the entire length of the flat.

I use a similar principle to locate/orient parts, it's surprisingly easy to think the flat is making full contact, when in fact it's a couple or three degrees off.

ToolCat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back