What's new
What's new

Flexor-M Steel

JMC

Cast Iron
I am currently working on a project with this stuff. I am finding all kinds of hard spots in this material (during a gundrill cycle, my spindle load will vary anywhere between 5 - 15% in a 9" deep hole....stays at 5% for an inch, climbs to 15%, back down to 5%, ect) Hard spots in the material would be very undesirable in the particular application that this part is for. (A bolt action receiver....hard spots could cause it to grenade)

I am wondering if we just came across a bad lot of material or if it common to see these issues with this Flexor-M

Pennsylvania Steel Corporation :: Prehardened

I ran a good share of it a cpl yrs ago and I didn't see any evidence of variations in the surface finishes. Seemed to run pretty good to me.

???

-------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Are you sure it's hard spots in the material and not something else? maybe chips packing up? something going on with your spindle motor? something up with the incoming electricity? Is there any way you can check a piece to verify it is, in fact, hard spots?

Sounds like chip packing to me. I've got a lot of experience with the stuff. It does not drill easily, in my opinion. It is tough and moves around alot. Shafts will bend like a banana while turning.

Frank

Home

and moves around alot. Shafts will bend like a banana while turning.

I wonder aboot that. :scratchchin:

The batch of material that I got I did NOT have straitened. I slugged it up to about 9" long (?) and the part got smaller the further from the chuck, so I opted to not go for straitened.

If you have had issues with that - I wonder if your material had been straitened and then NOT stress relieved???

Mine seemed strait to me.

I don't know that I would have wanted to run 12' bars of the stuff tho. (Only available to 6' lengths anyway)

:scratchchin:

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Pretty sure it is not a "chip packing" problem. I drilled very similar holes in parts like this in some quenched and tempered 4140 ( 35 ~ 38 rc) and NEVER saw the HP meter vary like this. I am going to call some of the guru's at DME tool (Drill Masters Eldorado....their tech guys have really impressed me) on Monday to get their input.

Pretty sure it is not a "chip packing" problem. I drilled very similar holes in parts like this in some quenched and tempered 4140 ( 35 ~ 38 rc) and NEVER saw the HP meter vary like this. I am going to call some of the guru's at DME tool (Drill Masters Eldorado....their tech guys have really impressed me) on Monday to get their input.

Ok, and almpst a couple years later.........Did you call, and what was the outcome?

Did it work?

Pennsylvania Steel Corporation
12380 Beech Daly Road
Redford, Michigan 48239

Michigan?????? ummmmmm ....

since they make so many comparisons to 4340 etc.... WHY ?? is this stuff better than the Aircraft Quality steels made?? AND CERTIFIED.... or maybe just cheaper ??

If I understand, you are making bolt action rifles out of this stuff??.....
Would not want an action blowing up with your face so close to it...

are you a Metalurgist? or do you know one??

Very suspicious .....

Back