What's new
What's new

Kurt HDL vise jaws

JP Machining

Stainless
Does anyone know if there are any aftermarket Kurt HDL vise soft jaws around? Aluminum or steel, but the big HDL quick change jaws. I would make them myself, but afraid I'm not going to have time, and Kurt jaws run just over $200 for the set.

I checked the bay and did a quick search online but no luck. Figured I'd see if anyone on here knew of any.

JP

Do you have the removeable hard jaw vise or the big aluminum jaw vise? The removeable ones look like any other Kurt jaw...

hdl_00.jpg

I have the hardjaw kits for general use and have a pile of shop made soft jaws for that (yes those are regular style jaws). I am looking for the big aluminum jaws as they are much better for production work and for parts that require a bit fancier jaw cuts.

:hole:I'll give this one bump to see if any fresh eyes know of any jaws, otherwise looks like I'll be buying some tooling and just making them myself.

JP

Quick Change Jaws for Kurt

Does anyone know if there are any aftermarket Kurt HDL vise soft jaws around? Aluminum or steel, but the big HDL quick change jaws. I would make them myself, but afraid I'm not going to have time, and Kurt jaws run just over $200 for the set.

I checked the bay and did a quick search online but no luck. Figured I'd see if anyone on here knew of any.

JP

Hi JP Machining I have found a great product that saves time and money. I too made them myself but it does take to much time! Check out this site Vise Jaws they have so many sizes and shipping is very fast and the product is great! The set up time is minimal! I hope this helps.

Obviously spam as he didn't even read what I was looking for way back 3.5 years ago.

I have since gotten the tools and program made to just machine my own aluminum blocks and pallets for the HDL vises. Quite easy actually and cheaper than buying factory made ones for sure.

Check out Monsterjaws Mfg. USA - High Quality Vise and Lathe Soft Top Jaws (or you can google monsterjaws). I use their jaws. A set of aluminum jaws 1 X 2 X 6 is $9.99 if you buy 10 sets at a time. For that price, you can't afford to make them yourself.

If you figure a bar of 1 X 2 aluminum is 28 pounds at $3.00 per pound. You get 23 pieces out of a bar, that's $7.30 per set and all you've done is take it off the truck. Now you have to saw it into pieces, debur it, set it up to drill and counter bore the holes. If your shop rate is $75.00 per hour, that's $1.25 per minute. That leaves you 2.15 minutes to make that part and you don't even have a program yet. Now you still have to pick up an edge, program it, set your tools and load the program.

You may be fast, but you sure as hell ain't that fast.

Monster Jaws is a great place as well but Idk about you but I'm not paying $3.00 a lb for aluminum. I heard the way they get the prices so cheap is they run all of this stuff on a horizontal line on the weekends so pretty much free machining time unattended....No tool life issues making SJs with a facemill.

Monster Jaws is a great place as well but Idk about you but I'm not paying $3.00 a lb for aluminum. I heard the way they get the prices so cheap is they run all of this stuff on a horizontal line on the weekends so pretty much free machining time unattended....No tool life issues making SJs with a facemill.

I have been to their shop and yes they do have a horizontal line. They have 10 horizontal machining centers and all they make is soft jaws. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

I get aluminum from Fry Steel for about $2.00 per pound, but I have been quoted as high as $4.50 per pound from the local material supplier.

I have been to their shop and yes they do have a horizontal line. They have 10 horizontal machining centers and all they make is soft jaws. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

I get aluminum from Fry Steel for about $2.00 per pound, but I have been quoted as high as $4.50 per pound from the local material supplier.

You are over paying...contact coast aluminum or reliance

dstryr, I noticed you are fairly close to me, I'm in Brisbane, just south of San Francisco.

Who do you use as a steel supplier in the Bay Area, I've been using Allied Iron in Belmont and in the past I've always gotten pretty good prices from them without having to push them, but recently they jacked their prices and I have to negotiate every order, which I don't have time for.

Do you have a local steel supplier that gives reasonable prices without a lot of back and forth?

I need somebody that doesn't mind small orders (unfortunately, I wish I was General Motors but I ain't, maybe next life time).

Paul T.
Valve and Chassis Spring Tester Home Page - Power Technology Valve and Chassis Spring Tools

For plain jaws yes I use monsterjaws.

I was talking about Kurt HDL jaws though, more like the jaw carriers. For some parts it is quite nice to be able and make your own HDL jaws and carve out large shapes or what not. I even have atleast one pallet setup that goes on the HDL base, works quite well with the center pins for location and the vise to pull the pallet down and hold it secure, granted its not as repeatable as some other systems but for the parts I use it on it works great.

4264.jpg

You are over paying...contact coast aluminum or reliance

I have tried Coast Aluminum and they are more than twice the price of Fry Steel. Maybe it's because I'm the little guy and they don't want to be bothered with me. Most of the time I'll spend $30.00 or $40.00, but I will occasionally spend $500.00

I have a race car part customer in Gilroy.

dstryr, I noticed you are fairly close to me, I'm in Brisbane, just south of San Francisco.

Who do you use as a steel supplier in the Bay Area, I've been using Allied Iron in Belmont and in the past I've always gotten pretty good prices from them without having to push them, but recently they jacked their prices and I have to negotiate every order, which I don't have time for.

Do you have a local steel supplier that gives reasonable prices without a lot of back and forth?

I need somebody that doesn't mind small orders (unfortunately, I wish I was General Motors but I ain't, maybe next life time).

Paul T.
Valve and Chassis Spring Tester Home Page - Power Technology Valve and Chassis Spring Tools

EMJ is who I usually buy our steel from but I don't do much of it. Reliance Metal Center can get steel bar stock and Cambell Metals is fair on pricing

I have tried Coast Aluminum and they are more than twice the price of Fry Steel. Maybe it's because I'm the little guy and they don't want to be bothered with me. Most of the time I'll spend $30.00 or $40.00, but I will occasionally spend $500.00

I have a race car part customer in Gilroy.

Yeah maybe they are just being hard on you because of order size. I'm not a huge shop by any means either. Most of my orders for material are in the $1000-$5000 range at a time. I've had very good luck with their outside service rep. He is a great guy.

Race car parts and Gilroy...interesting combination. I'm working on a 71 chevelle pro-touring build at the moment but its pushed to the side since the shop is so busy.

Paul T.

EMJ in Hayward has good prices on steel.

Trung

Back