What's new
What's new

Floating Zero??

rick-b

Aluminum
My lathe doesn't have limit switches for home, I'm told it homes using a "floating zero". What is the best way to go about setting the zero? The controller is a WA31DT it emulates a Fanuc.

Most machines have scribe marks or measurements from fixed points such as chuck to turret or end of way to end of cross slide. But, you can make the home position anywhere you want.

My lathe doesn't have limit switches for home, I'm told it homes using a "floating zero". What is the best way to go about setting the zero? The controller is a WA31DT it emulates a Fanuc.

1) Set up a cheap 1" travel indicator on a magnet base pointing perpendicular to the flat magnet. Zero it at something like 3" or 4" tall using any standard.
2) Stick the magnet on a repeatable surface on the turret each day when you power up the machine.
3) Touch the indicator off on the chuck face or some other reasonably flat area and bring it up to zero.
4) Tell the machine that's home position.

Keep that indicator on the same base and leave it for that one job.

You can use the same setup to locate your work-face in the Z axis.
You can use the same indicator setup to touch off your tools in the Z dimension if you mount it on the chuck face.

There are simple mag-mount tool setters for milling machines. They range from under $100 up to $1000. Here's what they look like:
1.4567 Inch Long x 1.4567 Inch Wide/Diameter 56451172 - MSC

Back