What's new
What's new

Freaking Arthritis

G00 Proto

Hot Rolled
Damn, this arthritis sure is making it hard to work. To many years of throwing vises and chucks into the machines, dragging sticks of material over to the saw, all the repetitive motions associated with machine shop life... all that shit hurts anymore. Spent the last two days in bed alternating heat pads and ice to get my shoulder unlocked... turns out that doesn't pay real well. Just want to remind people just starting out to protect your joints. If it looks heavy, get some help. If doing something all day leaves you sore, look at the ergonomics of what you are doing. For God's sake, watch out for back injuries. I guessing that most of the people reading this that have been in the industry for more than 20 years are rubbing some sore spot wishing they hadn't done something :) Be safe out there.

Damn, this arthritis sure is making it hard to work. To many years of throwing vises and chucks into the machines, dragging sticks of material over to the saw, all the repetitive motions associated with machine shop life... all that shit hurts anymore. Spent the last two days in bed alternating heat pads and ice to get my shoulder unlocked... turns out that doesn't pay real well. Just want to remind people just starting out to protect your joints. If it looks heavy, get some help. If doing something all day leaves you sore, look at the ergonomics of what you are doing. For God's sake, watch out for back injuries. I guessing that most of the people reading this that have been in the industry for more than 20 years are rubbing some sore spot wishing they hadn't done something :) Be safe out there.

Very good advice--and you're right about many of us having sore spots...

Also, be very wary of the "Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory" drugs, (NSAIDS). These medications are very effective in easing the pain of arthritis, but are not at all friendly to your kidneys. One's first indication of this potential pitfall is "Stage Three" kidney failure. Read the label. The recommended maximum daily dosage is waaay more than your kidneys can stand. Regards, Clark

Yes, I know what you mean. 38 years of standing, and standing even more, usually in front of a machine, have taken it's toll. Developed a case of radical plantar fascitis along with all the other ailments of working on machines and in shops. Lucky though in a way. Still have both eyes and all my fingers. You know what though? Would not have traded it in to be a cubicle jockey somewhere.

Paul

Being a big fellow(6'5" 300+ country boy) I always thought I could move anything if I could get my hands on it. 356# stick of thick wall tubing, up off the tailgate of the Central Freight truck, uphill about 20 yards into the shop, set it down on a bench. Then I read the shipping label and figured out that it weighed more than I did. Made my shoulders feel funny too. I've learned better since then, but that was 30 years ago. As you say, youngsters, take care of your body. That's the only one you get in this life. And just because you heal up today, don't be surprised if that owie don't come back to visit in your old age. Left elbow will NOT allow the hand to work above my head today at 62. What you break today, you'll pay for tomorrow.

When the young bucks talk about how folks just need to man up and be tough and brute force things, I just shake my head and know that someday they'll have a better understanding of phrases like "If you're going to be dumb, you better be tough", and "Getting old isn't for sissies".

I don't have arthritis, but my GF does have it in early stages. We are starting to look into alternative treatments for her involving hemp plant extracts that will not get you "high". Might be something worth researching yourself.

cannabidiol rheumatoid arthritis - Google Search

The type that does get you high, was for me - a very good analgesic, but since the new laws over here (they can pick it up on a roadside test) I stopped.

I've heard good reports of the non high, but had no experience.

When I was a kid I was made to take Cod Liver Oil tablets. Anyone still taking these?

I don't now, but I did as a kid, along with the old ''state supplied'' (can't remember the exact name) malt extract and rose hip syrup (vitamin C) by the bloody gallon! . ........it's a wonder my sister and I don't still glow in the dark!

That and porridge, between October and April us kids did NOT leave the house in the mornings without a bowl of porridge in us! :)

Putting the politics aside, post WWII our government did a bloody good job of helping to raise strong fit and healthy kids.

Mine doesn't hurt so bad, but sometimes my fingers or whole hands feel numb. Other times I can't open my hands for a minute.

I knew a guy at work who had arthritis so bad that some joints would swell up. Like a 1/2" lump on his wrist. That was his excuse to always get high with weed. He also inhaled gas and drank hard liquor. He was about 27-28 at the time. He used the arthritic bouts to justify getting high. Looking back, kind of scary to think that people like that are in society driving on the freeways.

Fingers and Knees for me from working as an electrician, cutting and climbing. Often drop stuff in the morning when the fingers aren't working yet. Worked as an electrician again for six months when I was between engineering jobs. Every night same deal. Barely able to get out of my car, had to sit down for 15 minutes to make the stairs. 64 and getting old sucks.

Well, I tried to make some parts today. Managed a couple of hours until my shoulder gave me a bad case of "don't want too's". Might be just as well, I was taking the easy way setting up a job (3 axis) rather than sitting down for a couple of hours and programming it on a multi axis machine.

I don't like taking any drugs... I'm one of those guys that will read every warning and possible side effect, then opt out of taking anything. I did take an aspirin two years ago, and haven't had any ill effects :)

I just hope that this doesn't get a lot worse and make it so I can't make parts. I would dread the day I would have to go back to living in a cubical farm or sitting in front of a computer all day.

I pop ibuprofen like crazy. Sometimes alternate with aspirin. It's that or don't work, and I have to work. So my kidneys will just have to tough it out.

40 years of washing my hands with MEK, I gave up alcohol several years back- figured I'd beat up my liver enough.

My plan is to have everything fail at once. I'd hate to have one vital organ fail and die, and all the rest were still good. ;)

Ain't nobody gonna want to harvest any organs from me when I'm gone.

Don't worry, as soon as one vital organ goes tango uniform, the rest will follow close behind. My knees are bad but I do OK if I'm nice to them. What really bothers me is if the thumbs act up. Sometimes just sitting I'll move one the wrong way and wow. In general I avoid taking anything, but every now and then a few days of naproxin or ibuprofen can work wonders.

My back used to give me real fits, I'd be down for 2-3 days at a time. I bought one of those 'teeter hang-ups' you see on the infomercials. That stupid thing is worth 50 chiropractors- 5 minutes upside down and I'm good to go.

Not Arthritis, but I've dealt with Gout since my early '20's.
At times the pain can be unbearable.
When it flare's up really bad, I take a minimal dose of Indomethacin
which works wonders as an anti-inflammatory.
Recently, about 3 months ago now, I got board with alcohol, and cut way back, actually haven't had any in several weeks. Not that alcohol ever seemed to affect the Gout attacks. I've also completely cut out the worst of the poison, which is way worse than alcohol.....High Fructose Corn Syrup.

I say 'cut out'.....that's impossible as it's in most foods now. But I avoid it as best I can, which includes all soda pop, and most processed foods.
I have to say, I am really feeling incrementally better both physically, and mentally these days. And I am beginning to realize just how taxing HFCS and preservatives in processed foods are on the human body.

Imagine consuming a little bit of a mild poison daily.
You wouldn't do it on purpose! But that's just about what you -are- doing when you consume some of the crap they call food these days.

To the OP.........really consider cutting out HFCS and processed foods, even for a couple weeks (if you do eat that stuff now) and see if it makes a difference in how you feel, and the pain in your joints.

Back