What's new
What's new

Freeze clamping for small parts

jamesh1

Plastic
Does anyone have experience with this?

Looking for a potential alternative to vacuum clamping as we machine very small parts out of panels (think 10x10x2.5mm)

It is all carbon fibre and edge quality is of high importance.

Cheers,

James

How large a panel are you starting with? Remember that CF typically has a pretty low CTE, so if you use an aluminum fixture you might set up some stress when you bring the assembly to freezing temperatures. If this is an ongoing thing and there's enough money in it, you might want to make the base assembly out of CF too, but the poor thermal conduction of CF will have to be accounted for.

You could try cannibalizing the compressor and heat exchangers from a small fridge/freezer (like a dorm fridge), or pump LN2 through if you have easy access to it. Maybe a dry ice (Co2) basin with an antifreeze mix and pump?

You could try cannibalizing the compressor and heat exchangers from a small fridge/freezer (like a dorm fridge), or pump LN2 through if you have easy access to it. Maybe a dry ice (Co2) basin with an antifreeze mix and pump?

Or do it with compressed air and vortex coolers like like a pro: (or just buy the ready-to-use ice chuck) ;)
Freeze clamping technology - Spreitzer GmbH & Co. KG
ICE VICE AFP - freezing clamping system

From what I have heard it works miracles on some cases, ie small intricate parts without easy way to grip.

Original panel is around 300x300.

If multiple panels needed to be milled my other concern regarded the time-in between while waiting for the chuck to melt/freeze again.

I've received conflicting opinions about the effectiveness of vacuum on such small pieces - so might need to do some more calculations on that front.

I've received conflicting opinions about the effectiveness of vacuum on such small pieces - so might need to do some more calculations on that front.

near by is a center where vacum fixtures are build and rebuild until they deliver :)

maybe that fixture of yours can be improved

I think the individual parts you have are too small for vacuum to be effective.

We did parts that we used a vacuum chuck to mill the edges of small parts from a larger sheet. We went down to a few thousanths of milling all the way through, then broke the pieces out by hand. Our parts allowed us to finish the bottom edge in a lathe using a square 5C collet emergency that we milled to fit. If the characteristics of your part allow it, this could be a cost efficient solution for you also.

I have done applications with the Witte product on parts as small as 1/2" diameter, essentially the same size you are dealing with. All of the work has been profiling the outer edges of the workpiece. This works well as any localized melting you get near the cutter refreezes as you leave the area. Freezing/thawing time was 3-6 seconds if memory serves me.

Witte will not be cheap but they know their product and in the past were willing to get one in your hands prior to purchase. At least in the US they were.

That's a lot faster than what I was imagining.

Our work will be actually cutting the smaller pieces out of a panel - could localised melting cause the individual piece to shift slightly towards the end of each cut?

These are pieces for laboratory testing so surface finish and parallelism is of high importance.

Back