What's new
What's new

Advice on Purchasing 40 Taper Tool Holders Appreciated

chrisrocks

Plastic
I am currently employed at a pattern making facility that is expanding into tool making. We have Fadal 6030 and Fadal 4020 VMCs with CAT 40 Taper Spindles. When the shop got started they bought Kennametal Holders. We are going to get the 4020’s at the end of next month and I have been assigned with getting some quotes on tooling.

All machines are Box Way, typical CNC Machining applications in Aluminum (6061, 7075) and occasional mix of Steels.

We are using TG style collets and regular end mill holders. My employer seems pretty stuck on TG Collets. I don’t really know the advantages of different styles of holders / collets. Best Bang for the Buck is the goal.

The Kennametal Holders are pretty expensive for Made in INDIA. I noticed the MSC Accupro Brand holders are better priced. Does anyone know where these are made?

Lyndex-Nikken? Japan? Quality worth the Price?
Parlec and Command? Made in USA?
Other Recommendations and Opinions Welcome.

Techniks is also a pretty good buy.

When you talk to distributors about the tooling be sure to mention that you are tooling up new machines and ask if they have and deals for that. Most do have significant discounts if you buy a large package of holders.

BTW, I had recently read that Fadal was being liquidated. Some 120 machines were sold off at bargain-basement prices, and there were only about 10 left. Is your company aware of the status of Fadal? I have to wonder if any company bought the name and/or parts bin.

X2 for Maritool ...... Excellent stuff at very reasonable prices.

I have tooled all my machine thru Mari, if you have problems or questions they respond right away and will fix it no questions. Their prices are hard to beat!

I have a bunch of Parlec Cat 40 ER 32 and Cat 50 ER 40 collet chucks. They are made in USA and I've been very happy with them. I got them through MSC. Our sales rep was able to get us a pretty good deal if I bought in quantities of 10 or more.

Accupro is MSC's brand name, and most (if not all) of it is made somewhere in Asia...or India.

Lyndex-Nikken is very high quality Japanese tooling.

Briney is another American made brand.

Maritool's holders are imported.

TG collets are a good system. Very powerful hold, and good concentricity.

I have been pleased with my Parlec tool holders. I run TG holders for the larger sizes and ER 16 for the smaller stuff.

I like the fact that Parlec is made in the USA and I am supporting people in our trade. If we don't support people in our own trade why should we expect others to?

Garlic Dude While not wishing to start a politcal spat, can you give any idea of the price difference between what you paid for Parlec and say Mari tool?

The tool holders are made in his facility, just as his endmills in the USA. He imports collets I believe.

He is quick to ship, packs them well, and answers questions faster then Outlook gets me his response. :)

Dimitri

What makes you think he makes them?? No where on his website does he say he makes them, doesn't even say they're made in USA. Only thing he says is made in USA is the retention knobs...so my guess...retention knobs made in USA and everything else Taiwan and China.

i run only rego-fix for er collets and stuff
very good quality and a really good price +- 50 euro for cat 40 er32 holder
and the are made in zwitserland.

Hansdie,

You have had a problem with Frank for years. Have not taken him up on his 2008 air line offer yet?

Dimitri

Well I've called out your BS on other threads so figure I'll call it out again. Like I've said for years I have no problem with him or his products just when he makes vague statements that some of his products are made by him, in the US, and the rest in Germany without letting the customer know what item is made where. You know the saying "A lie told often enough becomes the truth" well that's what I think is happening.

His airfare offer!! I guess I could have pushed and had him pay for my 1st class ticket and time but really we could both save our money and time if he marks his tool with country of origin or states on his website what is made where or at the least post some photos of some tool holders being ground. But I guess that's just what I would do.

I've bought from Mari and pricing was better than Kennmetal and Parlec

If you were to research Mari's posts as he is a member, you would find what he makes in house and what he imports.

Probably one of the biggest benefits is being able to call and talk to someone in the US who will stand behind their product without a lot of crap about why your not happy
I'm not a big shop but when I switched from CAT40 to BT40 all of of the new tooling I purchased including retention knobs was from him.

Are there better tools on the market, yes but the value ratio is high with Mari

Back