What's new
What's new

angle calculation

ladykiller

Plastic
Hi guys,

I'm having trouble figuring out how to calculate angles, For instance I want to program a 23 degree angle, i have my start and finish diameters known which are .180 and .248. How would i figure this out. I guess i'm looking for guide lines, like a 45 degree chamfer is double the x move of the z length (we use horzintal turning centers, so i have x and z stuck in my head) would be grateful for any help.

.248 minus .18, then divide by 2, then multiply that answer times tangent of 23 degrees or 67 degrees depending on which way your angle is drawn.that is how far you move in Z length.

Last edited:
Doo you have your bible handy? (Machinists Handbook)

Look up and keep marked - "Solutions for a Right Traingle".

Another good page to earmark is "Sine Plate Constants".

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

G0 X.18 Z0
G1 X.248 A23

The A is highly dependent on the control, my Siemens uses B for angles. Also, you need to know what orientation 0 is. On my control a 23 degree chamfer would be 180 - 23 degrees.

I'm going to add confusion for you. If your start point is z=0 and x=.180 If your using a .016 radius tool and you want to be acurate on your start size, you need to subtract twice the tool radius(.032) and start at x=.148 Then the same with the z. you'll need to add the same .032 to the z dimension. Some controls will automatically compensate if they know the tool point and radius. If you cant use a A or a C or a E or a B for an angle function you'll have to play with it a bit.

just my 2-1/2 cents
Rosie

Back