What's new
What's new

getting coolant trought boring bar.

Krovvax

Hot Rolled
To make a short story we got a slate bed lathe that had previously a 6 station turret without coolant trought we were using loc-line to get the coolant where we want. After alot of trouble with the old turret we bought we new one with the coolant trought. It work like a charm and are realy happy with it.

Only thing we are wondering is how you guys running cnc are getting the coolant trought the bar. Only way i see this is to get it from behind the bloc but if we manage to grt something there is going to be hitting the turret body when we switch tool so i was wondering how you guys setup your bar.

Thanks for the time
Sebastien

There are several was to do it, if you could post a couple of pictures of your turret arrangement we could better help.

well my boss wont allowed me to take picture in the shop so ill try to describe it the best i can. Turret is around 10 inch diameter. 6 station. each station got 2 coolant noozle one over one under the tool. We use boring bar bloc 1 1/4 dia bore trought the bloc. Bloc is 2 inch in lenght. There is 2 coolant noozle in the front of the bloc facing the work piece. We would need to bend a copper tube or using a tube / fitting to get over the bloc to acces the back of the bar. While the turret is changing position there is a 1/2 gap between the bloc and the turret body so its hard to make thing go by the back of the bar.

This is the reason why i was wondering how you guys setup your turret.

Hmmm I'm wondering if you can maybe modify a holder then. Drill straight through it where your bar is located into the coolant passage that comes from the turret and block the top of it off with a grub screw. Also block off the back of the holder.

well my boss wont allowed me to take picture in the shop

can't take a picture of a machines turret?
your boss needs a tinfoil hat cause the aliens are comin'

while we are on the subject
would you like Ted Cruse back?

mondified tool block would be the deal if you already have coolant to turret

How about something like this?

Drill par.jpg

If the boring bar has coolant through, drill and tap into the side and plug the end.

Way back when I had my Romi.. I had to make all the tool holders for it and I made my boring bar holders big enough to cover the coolant ports so i could internally port the holder to get the coolant through the tool..

You could use capt's hose idea.. or add a block to the side of the holder that will cover the coolant port and then port that into the holder...

It's not like you're working for the D.O.D.
Just don't take a selfie with a duck face.

Maybe this is not practical and you need a machine configured for this, but if your lathe is equipped with a coolant through turret and uses HSK-T or Capto connections, you can buy turning holders and boring bars with internal coolant passages. This eliminates the need for external piping. I have seen this on VTLs, horizontals and mill-turn machines.

If the plumbing has to be external, you can also use the flexible plastic piping the comes in sections (like LEGO) to snake around obstacles. Finally as others suggested, plugging the existing coolant connection and modifying it to another location would be an option.

Back