What's new
What's new

Glacern Modular Vise - Load of horse &@*#?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlockwood

Stainless
Man, what a load of crap. It's not enough to rip off an entire product design.. Might as well nab the photography style, filmography, graphic and webdesign while we're at it.

gmv-static_foot.jpg

"Ingenuity is what makes a GMV a GMV."

https://youtu.be/XBT_iQPycwg

Think I'd reserve judgement till Sol chimes in. Maybe the design is licensed? or its a complete ripoff? Might be a bit early to reach for the torches and pitchforks. Sent Orange a note this morning hoping to get some clarification asap.

It is such an exact copy you have to wonder if there is some agreement between them. We know there have been legal issues in the past. Interestingly, it has some of the features of the 1st generation clamp, which Orange has already left behind.

Think I'd reserve judgement till Sol chimes in. Maybe the design is licensed? or its a complete ripoff? Might be a bit early to reach for the torches and pitchforks. Sent Orange a note this morning hoping to get some clarification asap.

I gave that some thought as well, and I sincerely hope it's the case..

I like to keep pitchfork/torch handy. Vengeance favors the well-prepared!

They harmonize with the machines they are installed in..:skep: Hold on a min I am going to need a trip to the mens room.
I have been there and done that. Its always a kick in the knads when you see it in person. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery..or some such shit.
Gary

Ok, light the torches...it's not licensed. As such, IIRC there might be a few patents being violated there. Suffice to say Sol at Orange is now aware.

I don't want to play devils advocate, but hasn't the Kurt vise been copied as well? Or maybe (maybe...) I heard the Kurt design was a copy but they had vastly improved it, or that could be my imagination... Aren't all the self centering vise pretty similar? Maybe I am missing something about the Orange that makes it unique. That said, I think the Orange vise looks like it is of very high quality and have heard great reviews. I would like to get them for us here eventually.

It is such an exact copy you have to wonder if there is some agreement between them.

No agreement between Orange and Glacern. This is the reason Glacern tried to sue Sol after he left.

Business Description

Glacern is located in Rancho Palos Verdes, California. This organization primarily operates in the Tools business / industry within the Building Materials, Hardware, Garden Supplies & Mobile Homes sector. This organization has been operating for approximately 6 years. Glacern is estimated to generate $210,000 in annual revenues, and employs approximately 2 people at this single location.

Definitely not an agreement NOR a knock off. This vise was in design when Sol left Glacern. The reason behind the lawsuits is what slowed Glacern from bringing this to market, but it was, in part at least, designed on site at Glacern. Sol hit the ground running... fast, and beat Glacern to market.

Stephen from Glacern personally delivered one of these to my shop last week for review and input. I strongly recommended he leave off the carbon fiber (ewww), and a few other small things I already shared with him. The Glacern does have a third hand hold on it, removable fixed jaws and few other differences. The lack of removable center jaws was one of the main reasons I didn't purchase the Orange Vise and called Glacern to discuss their options. Stephen hooked me up with both drive options to test. They have the same 1/2 drive like the Orange, but also have a hexisquare (Stephen's word, not mine) that has a hex on the outside and a 1/2 drive in the middle but sticks out of the vise so you can use standard speed handles (which I really like).

I have 4 other Glacern Vises and loads of their tooling and have spent quite a bit of time talking with the 2 remaining "founding members" of which Sol (Erik) was the third. 3 men entered, one man left and started his own company. Calling either one a knock off is a pretty blatant inaccuracy and having read the available information on the lawsuits I am pretty inclined to believe the things Stephen shared as everything I actually could verify seems honest. I only know bits of the story but to call the company that designed the vise in the first place a knock off is just wrong.

One thing I can tell you is that Glacern has surpassed my expectations as far as customer service. Since I wanted to wait for the new modular Vise to be ready Stephen shipped me a demo vise to use in the mean time since I sold off 2x 5" vises with a machine and completely forgot I need a 5" for one of my customer parts. Woops. Glacern has responded to my emails, phone calls, their 6" premiums fill my Haas every day, their facemill is phenomenal, I have a few of their CAT40 ER32 holders and wish everything in my shop had that damn coating on it. I just ordered a few of their 1" insert EM to try out and another 6" premium.

I'll grab my phone and post an actual picture of the Modular Vise. Its the first vise I have ever had that is easier to stip and wash out and put back together. Pretty bitchen. I was worried about the weight, but a few turns with an allen (same size for quick change, brake, and hold down tension) and brake is loose, moving jaws are off, slide the mech out and spray, then pull just the main body out with the three handles (damn smart design).

Last edited:
I counted 17 Mississippi's to pull off both moving jaw blocks, the entire center block, and loosen the brake then slide the mech out. Such an improvement over lifting the weight all at once! Notice no carbon fiber and the new hols down clamps. Nice touch...

uploadfromtaptalk1431973212906.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1431973052450.jpguploadfromtaptalk1431973113675.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1431973284925.jpguploadfromtaptalk1431973370981.jpg

Carbidewrecker,
I've got a Kurt 3600V with the 6PJS parallel jaw set. The Glacern looks just like my old Kurt, right down to
the jaws and where the label plate is attached. Damn smart design of long ago.

This was posted here just a week or two ago.

One has to wonder if they're lying again about where the products are made.

lollll a Vise :)

I have one of those... I mean the metallic blue one ($90+$12 shipping, alibaba.com). They are actually not bad at all... well, good enough to justify not buying a $800 vise for what I need it to squeeze anyway (AL). They hold 0.01mm (0.008mm) pretty well enough for me

One day, I'll get an expansive vise, next year maybe

Definitely not an agreement NOR a knock off. This vise was in design when Sol left Glacern. The reason behind the lawsuits is what slowed Glacern from bringing this to market, but it was, in part at least, designed on site at Glacern. Sol hit the ground running... fast, and beat Glacern to market.

Stephen from Glacern personally delivered one of these to my shop last week for review and input. I strongly recommended he leave off the carbon fiber (ewww), and a few other small things I already shared with him. The Glacern does have a third hand hold on it, removable fixed jaws and few other differences. The lack of removable center jaws was one of the main reasons I didn't purchase the Orange Vise and called Glacern to discuss their options. Stephen hooked me up with both drive options to test. They have the same 1/2 drive like the Orange, but also have a hexisquare (Stephen's word, not mine) that has a hex on the outside and a 1/2 drive in the middle but sticks out of the vise so you can use standard speed handles (which I really like).

I have 4 other Glacern Vises and loads of their tooling and have spent quite a bit of time talking with the 2 remaining "founding members" of which Sol (Erik) was the third. 3 men entered, one man left and started his own company. Calling either one a knock off is a pretty blatant inaccuracy and having read the available information on the lawsuits I am pretty inclined to believe the things Stephen shared as everything I actually could verify seems honest. I only know bits of the story but to call the company that designed the vise in the first place a knock off is just wrong.

One thing I can tell you is that Glacern has surpassed my expectations as far as customer service. Since I wanted to wait for the new modular Vise to be ready Stephen shipped me a demo vise to use in the mean time since I sold off 2x 5" vises with a machine and completely forgot I need a 5" for one of my customer parts. Woops. Glacern has responded to my emails, phone calls, their 6" premiums fill my Haas every day, their facemill is phenomenal, I have a few of their CAT40 ER32 holders and wish everything in my shop had that damn coating on it. I just ordered a few of their 1" insert EM to try out and another 6" premium.

I'll grab my phone and post an actual picture of the Modular Vise. Its the first vise I have ever had that is easier to stip and wash out and put back together. Pretty bitchen. I was worried about the weight, but a few turns with an allen (same size for quick change, brake, and hold down tension) and brake is loose, moving jaws are off, slide the mech out and spray, then pull just the main body out with the three handles (damn smart design).

I dunno. I'm sure there's alot to that discussion..

But I feel like the timeline fits more with 'time taken to rip off a design' than 'how long it takes to recover from having your design stolen and brought to market' no?

Add in the track record and level of "ingenuity" in the rest of the products..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back